Freeman Jones complaint resolved

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
165 posts Page 3 of 11

toto

Post by toto » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:11 am
OH MY GOD! I am shaking reading all this cause I was made to believe they were helping me when they are not. This issue is on going and we need to complaint about Freeman Jones to the right authorities as they need to check their accountants giving all this inaccurate calculations. My IVA was to end in February 2013 and I complainted to Steve Grogan the complaint manager in the (wrong job). Only to be told I was in arrears of £6000+. I requested a statement and even adding on this whole year and the agreed reduction of my payment of the IVA should come to £4500, I dont know were the £6000+ calculation accumlated from. No breakdown of they money given. My current relationship manager is another story.
Please let help each other and report Freeman Jones they are meant to be helping us not reaping us off. Too many complaint and it is on going.
I was paying £240 and struggling, now am paying £450 and and hopefully a final payment in january of £1400 which I dont know if I would be able to maintain as my circumstances has changed.(I only propose this as they wanted to extend it to another 18month which you could correct me if am wrong IVA dont run more than 6years) I am so bitter. I would have been better paying my creditor but looked for a quicker option only lead me now to sleepless night and living as pauper.

toto

Post by toto » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:29 am
To add on to this I did report to the financial ombusman but didnt follow things through. Probably as I know it not just me now I will.

Steven Hewitt

Industry Expert

Post by Steven Hewitt » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:15 am
Dear actorbird and wiggle1,

I've spoken to the team and they'll be in touch shortly with an update.

I'm sorry for any delay. Hopefully we can get a successful resolution ASAP.

Thank you.
Steven Hewitt - a member of the team at Freeman Jones

actorbird

Post by actorbird » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:50 pm
Me again. I am very, very upset and crying as I have just spoken to Freeman Jones who now tell me that I owe approximately £3,000 more than I thought I did. Even after paying in £10,000 from PPI matters and approximately £2-3,000 over about 3 years in repayments they are now telling me that I still have to pay the same amount of money for the same amount of time. Their fees are £2,100 - for what???? Rudeness, lack of communication. I just find this whole situation unbelievable. These are people who are supposed to be helping you. I am so stressed. I ran up my debt to take care of my child. I was a single mother who worked and received no child maintenance. When I got my PPI claim paid I actually thought "now I won't have to pay for so long". HOW CAN I PAY OFF THIS AMOUNT OF MONEY AND END UP IN EXACTLY THE SAME POSITION AS I WAS IN BEFORE? I am seriously upset and I am issuing a complaint to Freeman Jones. I will issue a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman and am consulting solicitors and the CAB. These people have no right to wreak such havoc with people's lives. I still have to work this afternoon and I am in pieces.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:17 pm
Toto - there is no point in complaining to the Financial Ombudsman about your IVA. They have no jurisdiction to deal with such matters once an IVA has been approved. Instead you should refer to your IP's own licensing body, but do use the firm's internal complaints procedure in the first instance.

Actorbird - I see that you are really upset, but in the first instance I think that your IP needs to set out all of the issues relating to your case so that you can understand where their figures come from. If the PPI claim was deemed to be an asset of your IVA, then creditors would have been entitled to received this on top of your monthly contributions - so the term of the IVA would not be reduced unless you were able to repay in full.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

actorbird

Post by actorbird » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:22 pm
Melanie
I just can't get my head around the fact that this is a legal agreement and firms are getting away with murder. I have recalculated what I have paid and it is close to £15,000 so by my reckoning I owe £2,000 at the most. As I have said before this was supposed to help but I seem to be paying money into a bottomless pit. I think IVA firms now rate a close second to the bankers in my opinion.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 pm
That last sentence was a bit harsh ( though understandable), Actorbird. There are many excellent firms out there, but, as ever the way, they are being dragged down and tarred along with those few that seem to operate against the grain on some aspects.

Again, the biggest bug bear is that if you get caught by one of the unscrupulous few you are stuck there for the whole term with no way out. Some firms know this and are all sweetness and light at the start -- until you are in the web !!!!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:32 pm
Before this engulfs you with anger actorbird, do get a full statement from your IP firm. I am sure that all of the figures that they present will be justifiable, and at least you will see how your money has been distributed - and importantly know how much more you need to pay.

And although you have very strong personal views about your own firm, please do not tar is all with the same brush, and we are only doing our jobs at the end of the day.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

wiggle1

Post by wiggle1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:24 pm
Actorbird, even though we are still waiting for our cc which is annoying, I do have to say the majority of our dealings with the staff at Freeman Jones have been polite and helpful, in fact only once in nearly six years has a member of staff not been helpful and after posting on here Steve Hewitt sorted it out straight away. As to the PPI question I was always under the impression that if you were owed PPI it went to the creditors in addition to what you are paying.
Life after IVA is wonderful.

toto

Post by toto » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am
Thanks for the advise Melanie. I wish have done my research well . I received my annual review all inaccurate, stating am paying £240 when I am now paying £450 . Actionbird I share your frustration. I disagree with you wiggle 1 as freeman jones the staff are rude and unhelpful . I am stress with sleepless night over this. Is the regulatory body the same as the internal complaints as I was just told by Ms H Fenton that I have make a complaint to them. refusing to give me the details of the regulatory body.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm
Toto -- they cannot refuse to give you details of their regulatory body and this is a matter, all else apart, that their regulators will take a very dim view of.

You can find out who yourself, here:

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/fip1/

and, after exhausting the internal complaints procedure try here:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/contac ... bout-an-IP
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Tina Shortland

Post by Tina Shortland » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 pm
Hi Toto - no internal complaints is not the same as regulatory body. Internal Complaints realte to the team and process within any company to deal with complaints received. The Regulatory Body is the external organisation that the company is regulated by.

I hope you get your matter resolved quickly one way or the other.
Regards, Tina Shortland, Debt Advisory Manager for Melanie Giles at Debt Advice TV.

If you’re looking for effective debt related information, articles and news, then go now to our on-line advice service at www.debtadvicetv.com

If you’re ready to ask us for specific advice or help, then get in touch at www.call-me.debtadvicetv.com so you can start to free yourself from the stress and anxiety of overwhelming debt.

Steven Hewitt

Industry Expert

Post by Steven Hewitt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:22 pm
Dear toto

Thank you for your post. I am sorry that you are unhappy and that, as yet, we haven’t been able to resolve this with you. As you say we are dealing with the issues you raise in our internal complaints process and I know that you have spoken to a member of our complaints team. We haven’t sent you our formal response to your complaint yet. There are other options for you if you wish to take your complaint further, however. Freeman Jones is a member of a trade body called DEMSA. DEMSA has a dispute resolution process which is, of course, open to you. More details can be found here: . http://www.demsa.co.uk/. In addition, as Foggy says, you can complain to the Insolvency Service.

It isn’t uncommon for people to be asked to pay extra into their IVA – additional monies as they are known, sometimes for an extended term. This could happen, for example, if it transpires that your actual earnings were higher than your allowed earning for part of your IVA term. And, as you posted here before, you have been able to put quite a considerable sum into savings accounts each month, which isn’t usually possible or allowed on an IVA.

It is in nobody’s interest that your IVA fails, especially this far into it, which is why we have asked you to respond with proposals to pay extra into the IVA which will make up some (but not all) of the shortfall that has built up. It’s worth noting that even with the extra money and extended term you will have paid into your IVA around 50% of what you owed your creditors at the outset. In fact your total saving is even greater than that as, in an IVA, creditors can’t add further interest and charges.

We do hope that we can work with you to resolve these issues and in just a few months you will reach the successful completion of your IVA.
Steven Hewitt - a member of the team at Freeman Jones

toto

Post by toto » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:26 pm
I spoke to Guy Withey the IP today and he explained things clearer to me. I am looking forward to speaking to my new relationship manager next week and debt free in 12 month. Hurray ! !!Thanks to all for the advice.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:48 pm
That's great toto -- good to hear you are happier with things now. And thanks to Steven and, of course, Guy, for stepping in.
165 posts Page 3 of 11
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”