Funeral Troubles

46 posts Page 2 of 4

ianmillington

Post by ianmillington » Wed May 21, 2008 3:40 pm
Having looked further at the link I posted, it seems to me that the benefits listed can only be claimed by the surviving partner of the deceased. I assume your partners sister was a single mum?

I imagine that the funeral costs will be only 1 of a number of issues that are likely to surface and you have probably already thought of most of them: What happens with the children, what benefits generally become available are just 2 of them.

On questions such as this, and the funeral benefits too (it surely can't be right that nothing is available?) the most logical place to start seems to me to be the Citizens Advice Bureau.

I would also speak to your IP to warn about the disruption that will happen to your IVA payments. If there is no understanding there then that will tell its own story.

Ian
Ian Millington
Insolvency Director
PDHL Ltd (formerly Personal Debt Helpline Ltd)
www.pdhl.co.uk

aguise

Post by aguise » Wed May 21, 2008 3:51 pm
Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear of this. Speak tp your company and ask their advice.
Thoughts with you all especially the children.

Ang x
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

kieser

Post by kieser » Wed May 21, 2008 4:00 pm
Thankyou all for your kind words,Yes the sister was a single mum so the link above i dont think is going to be applicable,the mother is on benefits so perhaps thats the avenue to explore.
Our main concern at the moment are of course the children (14 & 17)& we are up against a so called father(not named or biologically linked to the oldest one),EVEN THOUGH SHE DOSENT KNOW THIS(ANOTHER PROBLEM) whos never lived with them etc etc who has moved into the house & is just assuming hes got all the rights which the sister will be looking down telling us to get him out.We have to fight for what the the kids want and what the sister would have wanted.
We have been told by numerous people that she hid her will etc etc under the floorboards in her bedroom & that my partner was to become legal guardian to her kids but alas that will is nowhere to be seen.thought it might be with the bank but its not.Anyway i wont bore you any further just a complete mess from every angle.

IF YOU WERE THINKING OF GETTING YOUR WILL SORTED SOMETIME-GO & DO IT NOW,IT CAUSES SO MUCH PAIN FOR THE SURVIVORS

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed May 21, 2008 4:24 pm
Kieser, so sorry to hear about your loss. What a dreadful time for you both. I hope you manage to get things sorted out without too much hassle
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed May 21, 2008 4:26 pm
Hi
You won't bore any of us,you can bounce as many questions or concerns that you have off this forum.Doesn't have to be debt related
Hope we can help
Regards
Andam Davies

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed May 21, 2008 4:43 pm
You certainly won't bore us - please ask as many questions as you want or need.

cfnc

Post by cfnc » Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm
Thinking of you all at this terrible time, please do keep posting and asking questions as this forum is the most caring and informative that I have ever seen.

hugs to you all,

Kirsty
Kirsty

Homer2418

Post by Homer2418 » Wed May 21, 2008 6:08 pm
Dear All, This is a subject,that I can offer as much advice as I you require me to.
I have worked in the funeral service for many years and have assisted many people through this difficult time.

Is there any brothers or sisters in the family in receipt of the following?
· Income Support
· Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
· Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
· extra Working Tax Credit relating to a disability
· Housing Benefit
· Council Tax Benefit, or
· Pension Credit.

If there is, then they can apply for assistance with the funeral from the department of social security by completing an SF200, once applied for, they will make an assessment and make a contribution.
This amount can vary, but is up to the cost of £2000. Kieser of you and your partner are currently in an IVA then, I would still contact the offices of social security and explain the financial constraints.
This may have some leverage with getting some financial help, unfortunately the costs of funerals have gone over the top over the many years I have work within the industry.

Can I ask at what stage your partner is at with making the funeral arrangements and then I can advise you a little more, if you need some guidance from someone within.

Feel free to ask me anything or needing advice on a certain matter

facingittogether

Post by facingittogether » Wed May 21, 2008 6:54 pm
hi

i am so sorry yo hear of such tragic news!

sorry i cannot advise you but want you to know i am thinking about you all!

please keep posting and asking questions as i am sure there are people on here who can advise you!

love barb x
12 down - 60 to go! woo hoo!

rockbottom

Post by rockbottom » Wed May 21, 2008 7:43 pm
HI Kieser
i have been thinking about you and your family all day, i hope you are managing to hold it together, you say your partners mother is claiming benefits so therefore it will be no problem with her making the application to social fund for help with the funeral costs as she is next of kin, i hope at least that is one burden that can be eased a little, as everyone says post as many times as you need we are all here to help even if it is just a kind word if you are feeling really low.

rockbottom

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed May 21, 2008 7:59 pm
Hi
We are so lucky to have such diverse experts on this forum.
This forum is not just about debt,it's all about supporting each other in times of need.
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed May 21, 2008 8:21 pm
I am so sorry to hear this devastating news and my thoughts are with all of you at such a tragic time.

I cannot offer any advice about your ability to claim benefit, but thought I could share something I did for a client of mine who lost his wife whilst in an IVA and had no money for funeral costs. I called a variation meeting of his creditors, and no only got him a payment break for 3 months, but also got them to agree to me drawing £1,000 from the IVA bank account to meet immediate costs. The creditors are not completely heartless, and at the end of the day they did not even ask my client to make up the payments at the end of the IVA.

So it could definately be worth having a chat with your IP to see if they could suggest anything.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

angela18

Post by angela18 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:26 pm
what a really sad situation.. i have no will and my husband is not my daughters father.. her dad hasn't bothered with her in anyway!! I would imagine him coming out of the woodwork if anything happened to me.. I need to do a will!!

my heart goes out to you and your family.. hope you manage to get a solution
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed May 21, 2008 10:31 pm
I would also like to say that I am thinking of you all at this terrible time. I hope you can get everything sorted out. Viki X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

kieser

Post by kieser » Wed May 21, 2008 10:56 pm
This is my little salvation at the moment,my partner being in plymouth trying to sort things out for the kids,i had to come home last night to deal with the mother in law which is hard going,ive had a bad day with her today (not surprisingly)& we are off tommorrow to the chapel of rest in plymouth which i have today been advised is going to be tough as julie looks pretty grim.(some are good,some are bad).
When julie died suddenly thurs morning mother was trying to drag her out of the bed to take her home.Shes allready warned me that she might not be able to control herself & try to do the same tommorow.
Then we have the funeral Friday.
I will keep in touch & im going to phone IVA company tommorow morning.
Touched by your kind words,Thankyou.
DONT FORGET YOUR WILLS PEOPLE PLEASE
46 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “postings for may”