Gas and Lekkie

26 posts Page 1 of 2

liverpig

Post by liverpig » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:58 pm
I have just received my statements from our supplier, we are in credit by £207 and change on the Lekkie and £74 on the Gas. As far as I can remember this gets credited to our account at some point in the year, I cant remember when!
Anyway my question is; is this classed as a windfall or not?
I did a search to see if this has been asked before but returned no hits so sorry if I am asking an already answered question.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:15 pm
Won't they just reduce your monthly payment and mop up the surplus like that?

I've never been much in credit as mine is worked out pretty much in line with what I use so don't really know the answer, it's less than £500 so maybe you get to keep it? x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:07 pm
Ours don't. They carry the balance over and our payments remain the same. It comes in handy over the winter months when the heating is on 24/7 and the tumble dryer goes into overdrive!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:02 am
I don't own a tumble dryer by choice, but do control the heating during the winter via the thermostat it's not turned off x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 am
Couldn't be without the tumble dryer. Don't know how I would manage without it.

All rads have thermostats and in the winter the heating is usually on twice a day, depending on how cold it is. If it's really cold we'll leave it on.

Hot water is instant as it's a combi boiler.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:13 am
We have a broken combi boiler, hot water is not happening for us, we really have to make a new boiler a priority once we're out the IVA. We've managed 32 months this year without it so we'll keep going for now.

All my rads are thermostacillay controlled too, mine is left at 15 during the time we're here but goes down to 10 when nobody in the house, my children always like to visit our frigde, but we like it like this, wouldn't suit most though I do admit that. xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 am
I do like a warm house, especially as I really feel the cold now! The spare bedrooms have the thermostats turned right down and the rest are usually set to 2 (it's up to 5). We had the cavity wall and loft insulation done a couple of years ago and it's made such a difference.

Ours is usually on as hubby is at home all day.

Can't believe that I could see my breath this morning when I loosed the dogs out!
Bob Marley.

carole2662

Post by carole2662 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 am
No central heating just Rayburn in kitchen and open fire in sittingroom. No heating at all upstairs.We were very cold this last winter but seem to manage with hotwater bottles and very thick duvets.Hubby brings home wood for the openfire and the Rayburn is oil.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:45 am
I remember cold upstairs from when I was a kid and even into my 20's! Could not be doing with that now. I like a nice warm bedroom when I get up - espeially when I'm on an early shift!
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:02 pm
I can't stand being cold, and I really don't know how you cope without hot water Lesley!

I couldn't manage without central heating now either - we had coal fires when I was at home and I couldn't stand that now.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 pm
It's luke warm Skippy for about 5 mins enough to have a wash, we've an electric shower and a dishwasher so it's not too bad.

We can't have cavity wall as we have solid walls x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:56 pm
Same here. I did look into solid wall insulation but there are no grants and it would cost thousands so it's really not worth it.

Shining

Post by Shining » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:04 pm
My hubby has started installing solar heating as part of his job and that looks/sounds good. Not that I can afford the initial outlay so again a no go area x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:10 pm
I don't think we'd ever get our money back in savings so it wouldn't be worth it for us!

The one thing that would make a difference to us would be a new front door as ours is drafty. Again we can't afford it so it'll have to stay!

liverpig

Post by liverpig » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:37 pm
It was nice reading about your lack of heating and/or hot water, but not the answer I was looking for :D. I couldn't live without hot water I must admit. We have a gas combi boiler and it is so energy efficient, re the Gas credit.
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”