Gas Boiler

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
11 posts Page 1 of 1

dunkynuts

Post by dunkynuts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:20 am
Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge in Gas Engineering. I've just had British gas to service my boiler and the engineer has told me I need a new one as because it hasn't been serviced for 7 years the seal on the front panel has glued fast and he can't remove the front without possibly damaging the boiler. He's probably telling the truth, but I always like a second opinion. I could kick myself for not having it serviced regularly, but when I was struggling with debt, a service contract was the last thing on my mind and the Boiler was new when I moved in there 7 years ago!
Last edited by dunkynuts on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Have no regrets,the future is ours!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:32 am
I would get out another gas engineer to give you a second opinion.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

dunkynuts

Post by dunkynuts » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:40 am
Thanks Melanie

I'm going to do that. After he'd told me it needed replacing, his next breath was "I'm going to send a colleague round to give you a quote for a new one" and I thought "too fast" and I haven't got the money to pay for a new one anyway!
Have no regrets,the future is ours!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:03 pm
BG do have a habit of trying to replace boilers that do not need replacing. Try to find a local tradesman of the "old school" variety, who can actually effect a repair rather than simply change parts.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

TheArtist

Post by TheArtist » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 pm
Agree with Foggy. This happened to me dunkynuts. I had my extg boiler put in, neglected it during IVA, then after IVA thought I'd get my house in order (so to speak). BG came round at my request, because I couldn't locate the original plumber, and said that my boiler was knackered and employed the same selling tactic as you. I then, by sheer luck bumped into my original plumber who came round and sorted it. I was also told, if looked after, it could last a good few more years. Apparently BG are pretty notorious at this type of tactical behaviour. Motto - Biggest not always best.
Completed IVA - August 2012 pheeeeeeeeeew
Only my opinion - Nothing More Nothing Less

FormerlyST1100

Post by FormerlyST1100 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:54 pm
Completely agree with what has been said about BG, get another local gas fitter out to have a look.

A few years ago a BG engineer told an elderly lady, who lived over the road from my dad, that her boiler was shot and she would also need all her radiators replaced and would cost her over £4500 with the boiler being £2500 of that.

She told my dad who got her in touch with a local fitter who serviced my dads boiler. He found there was nothing at all wrong with the rediators and replaced the boiler for £1200 for exactly the same boiler BG was going to fit.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:59 pm
We have a maintenance plan with BG and I wouldn't be without it as they have fixed our boiler a couple of times. However, if they said the boiler needed replacing I wouldn't take their word for it I would shop around - not least because the position of our boiler is no longer legal (the vent goes onto the alley beside the house) and we would have to have the kitchen or bathroom redone!

ClareSilver

Post by ClareSilver » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:51 pm
British Gas are one of the most expensive boiler providers also. If you do need to replace it, find a local company and avoid being ripped off!

Free Bird

Post by Free Bird » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:00 pm
British Gas are rip-off merchants. They quoted me £9,000 to install central heating. This was £4,000 more expensive than the ex-british gas plumber who did the job. He left BG because he did not like conning people. Apparently BG pressure their employees to try selling replacement boilers. So they will reel off all sorts of bull.

Definitely get a second opinion.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:18 pm
We must have been lucky with the engineers in this area - we have never been pressured into anything. They have serviced the boiler, advised us that the position is no longer legal and left it to us.

Unfortunately if you want a contract you're quite limited and I'd rather take my chances with BG than have nothing.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:36 pm
Blimey - such awful stories of British Gas. At least Dick Turpin wore a mask!
Last edited by MelanieGiles on Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”