Getting married soon after IVA starts

26 posts Page 1 of 2

i_a

Post by i_a » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:15 pm
Hi,

I need advice on the above question.

I am proposing an IVA and my creditors meeting will be in April sometime (hopefully 1st and last meeting!).

However I currently live with my fiancee who owns the property and I pay rent. I have a formal rent agreement and this is disclosed in my IVA expenditure allowance. I have only lived at the property since last September.

We are getting married in June and hopefully the IVA will be in place before then.

My question is - should this be disclosed as part of the IVA proposal and/or should I tell my IP anyway? I am currently saying it is a normal landlord/tenant relationship (which is currently true).

Any legal implications about leaving it like this? Can I just tell my IP later?

PS - for anyone worrying about how an IVA affects relationships my fiancee took me on holiday in January and proposed to me despite knowing all about the IVA situation!!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:50 pm
It sounds like you and I are the lucky ones - while my partner hasn't actually proposed to me, he taking me away in July and has supported me throughout. Sorry I can't help with your questions, but I just wanted to say congratulations!

Onwards and upwards!!!

i_a

Post by i_a » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:22 pm
Hi Skippy,

Thanks for that.

Unfortunately I may just have bankrupted myself by putting this post on!

I hadn't told my IP about this yet and had a phone call saying they were monitoring the site and realised who put the post on.

Now I may have to include my partners details in the IVA and if that means an increase in monthly payments then there is no way my IVA can go ahead :(

Feel absolutely stupid now. Suppose I should have told my IP straight away about this.

Anyway I now have to tell my partner she may be dragged into this after all which I wanted to avoid at all costs and it might mean we won't get married after all as bankruptcy probably means I'll lose my job and won't be able to pay my child maintenance.

I was going to see my son today as we've just got a puppy but I'm so depressed I couldn't face it.

Really don't know what to do with myself now

Wish I'd never put this post on :(

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:57 pm
Hi ackeryi

Well first of all you should have been honest with your IP from day one with regard to your exact circumstances. If you and your fiancee are living together and are to be married, then this should be properly reflected within your IVA proposal.

But I genuinely feel that you are now beating yourself up about something that is not a problem. Although your IVA should disclose both incomes, and then a sharing percentage of joint expenditure based upon income ratios, this does not mean that your partner's surplus income should be included in your offer to your creditors. Indeed it should not.

I am sure that your partner will understand why this has to happen, and will be supportive. And I am disturbed that the events of today have stopped you feeling like seeing your son. There are things that a far more important than having a few debts, and your visits to see your son are up there pretty high.

Please don't feel stupid. Perhaps some more in depth discussion with your IP from day one might have identified this issue at a much earlier stage. I always question "tenants" as to whether they are in personal relationships with their "landlords". This prevents these issues becoming embarrassing at a later stage.

You are worrying about something that is easily resolved. Go and take that puppy to see your son tonight!!!

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

i_a

Post by i_a » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:18 pm
Melanie,

You're quite right - I should have sorted this ages ago but tried to minimise the impact on my partner.

She is self employed and income is irregular so this is probably going to get very complicated now!

Anyway I pulled myself together and my son is playing in the garden with our puppy now while I have a 5 minute tea break.

From what you're saying if we have about the same income does that mean there will be no change to the propsal(as I'm paying half the bills)?

Thanks

i_a

Post by i_a » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:24 pm
Melanie,

Sorry - another question!

If I have a higher income than my partner does that mean I should put in more than 50% of the bills as my expenditure?

I pay exactly half the bills at the moment.

neverending

Post by neverending » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:10 pm
Hi
Regardless of rights and wrongs
"I hadn't told my IP about this yet and had a phone call saying they were monitoring the site and realised who put the post on."

This is a little concerning
How do other members feel ??
Andy Davie

laleanne1

Post by laleanne1 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm
Why are we being monitored?

Did anyone on here commit a crime?

And i have to say even if i was to get married it would be my business as in my iva i put down what I CAN AFFORD not what some-one can. the whole point of this forum is for people like us to have some-one to talk to who are going through the same things, not to be treated like children, is it not bad enough that we are watched every time we live our house by CCTV, soon may be watched wherever we want to drive to if the goverment get there way. Have to provide every company who we ever deal with all your personal information. [:(!]

Is there nothing we can have to ourselfves anymore?

l morris
laleanne1

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm
Hi ackeryi

If your income is higher than your partners, you should pay the same proportion towards the expenditure. So if you earn 60% of the total income, you should pay 60% of the total expenditure.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

i_a

Post by i_a » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:17 pm
Thanks Melanie,

Have spoken to my IP about this and sorted it out - I'm not going to put any more details on the post now but thanks for the advice.

For others reading I am a bit miffed about this generally. Fair enough I should have disclosed this but a bit shocking to have someone ring me.

I'm changing my ID now as I will be much more careful what I post in future.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:24 pm
Just to let you know this happened to me as well - I was speaking to my IP and he mentioned he'd read some of my posts. Luckily it was nothing incriminating!

Good luck ackeryi, or whoever you may be!

Onwards and upwards!!!
Last edited by Skippy on Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

freelili

Post by freelili » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:24 pm
Surely this should be the one place where we can be 'honest' and not spied on or judged. We are not saints, nor are we fraudsters or criminals. Its only natural to want to protect a partner from the 'tooth comb'. I wonder if our creditors are snooping?

LILY

I asked God for a solution and have to live with his reply.
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:41 pm
i agree with what everyone else has said and surely anything on here should not be able to be used against us, we are not giving our real names, i know it is a public board for people to see, what if we got on and told a pack of lies how could they use this against us!!
i am sorry ack that it came to this for you, you could have said how can you prove thats me i don;t know anything about an iva forum, the whole thing has made my blood boil as i am sure none of us are trying to be fraudulant in anyway, we are looking for help and comfort not to be treated like big brother is watching others will be to scared to post soon
rant over kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

DebtDummy

Post by DebtDummy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:06 pm
I say let them read it's a free country. However, if they are going to use anything said here when we could be anybody living anywhere in the world then some Ips have a few issues. If they 'think' they reconise a client from reading a post then more power to them. I only ask why? Why read here to find out something about a client you should already be aware of?

What is it about the client-professional relationship that the client did NOT feel comfortable enough with you to disclose something in the first place? I say, maybe the client chose the WRONG IP initially and that's why s/he is not being open.

I say for an IP to read something here and then ring the client the IP believes it is, is a sneaky and underhanded act. This forum was established for people to gather information freely regarding their financial issues. NOT to be snooped upon then questioned by their IPs.

Tsk, tsk, tsk and shame, shame, shame on YOU Mr/Mrs IP!

All I have left is my humour. :)

View my blog http://www.debtdummybankruwoman.blogs.iva.co.uk.

DebtDummy

Post by DebtDummy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:23 pm
AND another thing you and skippy are both using Thomas Charles, yes? I had to read some old posts to find that information. Sooo, they monitor their clients online?
How sad IS that?

Named and shamed. ha! Say, is there as ASBO for IPs?

ASBO=Amazingly Snoopy Butting-In Order??

View my blog http://www.debtdummybankruwoman.blogs.iva.co.uk.
26 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA postbag for march”