Grant Thorton - Disgraceful

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
67 posts Page 3 of 5

Staggly

Post by Staggly » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:06 pm
Mel- if going to the press stops just one person from using GT then my work is done. If it makes others already in a GT Iva aware that the closure times are ridiculous maybe they can take steps now to sort it....GT don't care about me or the fact they are ruining my life so I have no hope that they will help me any less than they are now, but I can stop others being messed around. I have started the formal complaints process-not that it matters as it will get dragged out I'm sure as that's GTs way...but I'm entitled and enough people do it then maybe the regulatory body will listen. Also GT are a big financial institution-bad press hurts the whole business not just the little known IVA section. Angelbear- I believe I have the official procedure on email-I will find it and post the details on here

jeffw

Post by jeffw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:25 pm
Hi Staggly, I would be more than happy to support you all the way in stopping GT treat and mess people around in the way they do.
I am sick to death of their lack of communication and repeatedly sending them info on PPI claims that they then claim they havent received although I have e-mail proof they have received over and over.
They are pathetic.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:20 pm
I completely understand all of your concerns - I am just merely trying to suggest a simple way of you getting them resolved.

This forum is increasingly becoming a GT complaints forum - and I just wish that we could focus on people who have points to raise or discussions to make about IVAs generally - as this continuing bad press reflects on the whole profession and not just one firm.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:14 pm
Mel, as both you and I have said elswhere, it's generally the complaints that get aired on here -- the vast majority, whose IVAs. BRs and DMPs are bumping along nicely tent to remain silent.

I mentioned on another thread -- if you think of a car you'd like and admire above others -- seek out the owners forum and the horror stories will make you wonder why people buy them or why they are still in business !!!
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 pm
I agree - I just wish that there were less GT complaints coming onto the forum, as they seem to be in the ascendance rather than the decline.

But posters should feel free to air whatever concerns they have, and we stalwarts will continue to try and give sensible guidance where we are able I guess.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:21 pm
..........sorry -- completely missed what I was going to say .....

I am not a "fan" of GT, having been placed with them against my wishes (they weren't on my list of possibles either). However, so far, and I agree there is still time .... I have had exemplary service.

That is not to say they don't need to improve, as I have alluded to elsewhere, there is a vast potential to do so, but, so far I have no complaints, over and above slight blips which have been overcome.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:37 pm
Glad to hear it. They are a very professional firm, but as within most firms (including mine!) there may always be room for improvement - and quality of communication and client service is of paramount importance to me.

Of course I only have around 1,500 IVA clients, and a goodly portfolio of bankruptcy and corporate appointments, whereas those guys are currently managing a substantially higher number. And cases transferred from other IPs will always bring difficulties, no matter how well run they were in their previous homes.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Staggly

IT is now 14 months since my last payment and i have yet to see a completion certificate nor have i ever been contacted unless i have wasted ages on a phone call or days for an email repsonse. THis is disgusting behaviour. I even was aksed for my annual income and expenditure again despite having been finished for a year. In october i was told I would receive my certifiacte mid november. I was then told that early november was some sort of cut off date for when creditors could do something - as i had heard nothing i called yesterday and after a lengthy converstaion was told that yes this cut off date of mid november had been and gone and NO ONE AT GT HAD BOTHERED TO LOOK AT THIS. SO that's helpful. I am then told i will receive an email yesterday fomr the infamous closure team (who are unable to use phones) and this of course has still not arrived. I called again this morning and was told someone would call me back as to why this email hadnt arrived and i jsut called agian to be told nothing at all. Oh no wait the guy i just spoke to told me he was emailing the closure team with my details - which surely they have had many times before. I am now going down the formal complaints route and I iwll nto let this rest as it is beyond unfair. Has anyone actually gone down this route and could advise me - i waont to speak to CAB but i work and it's hard to get in there - i refuse to let this go anymore - i paid my dues for 5 years - i should not be waiting over 14 months to still have it resolved - i will never ever deny that i got into trouble and that the IVA solution was beyond helpful, but now i am uffering to the point of getting into worse debt as I cannot get any properly due to no closure. I am angry, and disgusted and if anyone can help please do - anyone that needs an IVE - don't use GT - they are useless.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:29 pm
Sorry I posted a copy of the previous post in error.
My complaint is again with GT and I too have been fobbed off repeatedly. My experience echoes those posted already. yes it would be good for those of you not in an IVA to read something different for a change but those of us complaining unfortunately don't have any choice..., I've agreed to sign PPI disclaimer,yet still don't do anything. They lost my file for weeks and weeks and I continually get given false information and false promises. They even sent me someone else's annual review!.
It's now over a year since my last payment and I'm very very angry and it is causing me huge stress and ill health.
Is there any legal redress against GT for breach of contract, or an ombudsman does anyone know. ( The danger is of course is of the CC being delayed further)One of their customer services personnel said, (some time ago of course) that they have to go back to court if they haven't concluded the IVA within 72 months. Is there any truth in this? If so are we entitled to attend? They are a disgrace....

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:41 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by Foggy

Mel, as both you and I have said elswhere, it's generally the complaints that get aired on here -- the vast majority, whose IVAs. BRs and DMPs are bumping along nicely tent to remain silent.

I mentioned on another thread -- if you think of a car you'd like and admire above others -- seek out the owners forum and the horror stories will make you wonder why people buy them or why they are still in business !!!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:43 pm
Hi and welcome. What I think they meant by going back to court, was going back to the creditors to agree the extension by way of a variation.

Anyway ... probably no legal redress (at least not within the reach of impoverished IVA'ers)

To formally complain, you need first go through GT's internal complaints procedure ( and if you can find out what that is -- post ot here, because it doesn't seem to appear anywhere!). Then, if no luck, in certain circumstances you can complain to your IP's regulator.

You can find out who that is here:

http://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/fip1/

This is also a useful link:

http://www.bis.gov.uk/insolvency/contac ... bout-an-IP

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm
I think the point has been missed in the post above. The issues in all of the complaints above are with "closure" and review not with bumping along. Bumping along involves input from the debtor, updating accounts payslips etc. For me that went smoothly as I monitored it and chased them, the staff members were actually quite efficient at that stage. It's when they have had our money and we have fulfilled our obligations that it seems the problems started.
The written agreement states the IVA will be finally concluded after 66 months but that seems to be when they bothered to even look at it seriously. It is not only this Forum that has highlighted problems with GT, there are many others.
It would seem that there is a huge backlog of unclosed IVA's after final payments and PPi and VAT together with whatever the next hot topic will be will halt things even further.
The governing body needs to step in with a fastrack and compensation initiative to clear the logjam.
On one of my complaint telephone calls, although very difficult to get to a real person, I was asked indignantly why would GT delay an IVA on purpose?
My response is that firstly they don't necessarily delay it on purpose but there is no reason for them not to delay it. There is no come-back or consequence for them if they do. It is not their wellbeing that they are affecting so why should they care?
Secondly their incentive to not rush things is that they save money. They are clearly ill-equipped to be doing their job, short staffed, poorly trained staff, and of course with most inefficient customer service. To get to a reasonable standard would take time and investment, not now but 5 years ago. I entered into my agreement with them as Supervisors in good faith that they were qualified to fulfill their basic terms and obligations. I'm not worried about slight fall backs or mistakes we all make them.
Has it occurred to anyone else that the PPi misselling episode is actually less destructive emotionally, financially and psycologically to an individual than this fiasco?
If they were run on a normal commercial basis,( i.e if a customer is not happy go elsewhere or have legal redress) as the above post refers, they would indeed not be in business!!!
I have now seen Karol's details and will write to her independently of this Forum. It is actually quite amazing that one or more of their senior partners have not taken the time to post a blanket grovelling apology on this clearly vocal and well known forum or even respond every time I write to them with "Formal Complaint" in the subject line.
Very shabby indeed!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:35 pm
100% with you there -- the bumping along reference was illustrative not literal. I am sure ( at least I hope -- would be interesting to find out) that someone out there has has a completion certificate within the 6 months allotted (which, to be frank is a joke, if some companies can manage this within weeks)

iamfubb2

Post by iamfubb2 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:38 pm
It seems that this forum is the best way to contact GT if you have a complaint or query. Unbelievable that such a massive company should have to rely on other people on a forum to kick them up the ar*e when IVAers have issues. Dont know who Karol is (she gets plenty of mentions on here) but i bet her workload is huge, poor girl.

As for an apology or explaination from GT dont hold your breath!!.
"Big money got a mean streak, big moneys got no soul"

orange

Post by orange » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:47 pm
what they forget is they are dealing with real people ! and there lives
completed july 2011
67 posts Page 3 of 5
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”