Grant Thorton - Disgraceful

Helping to resolve consumer disputes
67 posts Page 4 of 5

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:05 pm
I am afraid that the good work of this forum is getting bogged down with client complaints about one particular firm. To be effective, and get properly resolved, complaints need to be directed in the appropriate channel, and that can only be to the insolvency practitioners trusted with handling those cases.

We all hate complaints, but we all do get them - perhaps some less frequently than others -but any IP has to take these seriousy and I am sure that the partners at GT are no exception here.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 pm
Mel, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I agree that the forum is becoming a sounding board for complaints against one particular company ( with a couple notables not far behind -- generally over the same problems). However ... I am sure the IP's at this (these) companies are aware of these posts, I am also confident that more than one complaint has been addressed directly to them. But they chose to remain silent, they chose not to address those concerns.

I am afraid, much as it should not be so, getting direct contact with some IP's is nigh on impossible.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm
In my firm - and yes we do get them occasionally - even one complaint is one too many, and they are taken very seriously indeed. Holding an insolvency licence is an absolute privelage and one which is only obtained through years of sheer hard work. These days not only do we have to hold that licence, but also a Consumer Credit Licence as well - equally difficult to obtain, and without both we simply cannot practice. I don't think that anyone would want to put their own livelhood, and that of their employees, at undue risk without good reason, but it seems that the grumbles about a few firms on this forum will continue to rumble on sadly. I wish there was more we could do for these folks - and I do think that the long awaited regulatory guidance on PPI will assist greatly with some of these complaints about closures.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:25 pm
I hope so Mel. I have very little hair left -- I cannot afford to be pulling it out !
Last edited by Foggy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

Vikipollard

Post by Vikipollard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm
Evening all,

Made my final payment to Grant Thornton in September 2012 after six long years of an IVA. No complaints, as it was what had to happen.

Now the rant.

I received a phone call from EIC today, on behalf of Grant Thornton, about the dreaded PPI. I told them there was nothing to claim as it wasnt missold, and I was happy to sign a disclaimer to this effect.

Apparently I am REQUIRED to make a claim, regardless of the fact that I don't believe it is missold. Isn't that fraud, I said? Well you won't get your completion certificate unless you let us make the claim on your behalf said Jordane from EIC.

Cue the phone call to GT because, predictably, they did NOT ring me back like I was told they would. Linda from GT did in fact confirm that I have no choice but to let them make a claim on my behalf. I have asked that it be recorded that there is nothing missold and will be attaching a letter to that effect to the documentation ~ which will also be copied to the IPA.

How can they be allowed to force people to make fraudulent claims? It's like me having a car accident and the insurers forcing me to claim for whiplash even though I don't have it.

I appreciate the need to maximise creditors' dividends, but not through forced fraud surely? It's not for them to decide if it's missold. It was my choice, and it wasn't.

I'm sure there's no point expecting a GT representative to reply to this. I've been waiting 20 days now for replies to two emails and refuse to pay for a premium rate phone call (20 mins on it today and their 02890 number "can't put you through to customer service". Poppycock).

Disgusted.

Oh, and the address for complaints which I was given today by Linda at GT is:
Waters Edge
Clarendon Dock
Belfast
BT1 3BH
Last edited by Vikipollard on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:27 pm
Are they saying you have to make a claim or that you have to allow them to investigate? There have been some posters on here who were missold PPI and didn't realise it - an extra 7k went into Foggy's IVA because of this.

Vikipollard

Post by Vikipollard » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm
They're saying that I have to sign the forms ~ which I assume means that they will then investigate? The fact is that I don't believe I was missold PPI therefore I would never claim it and am more than happy to sign a disclaimer to that effect.

They should not be allowed to hold customers to ransom to maximise their own profits ~ especially using a firm who charge!

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:34 pm
I would hope they mean investigate, rather than make speculative claims. I know my lot rang me up when they found a lump of PPI to ask about the circumstances -- they didn't just jump in with a claim -- they were not, however, EIC !

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:11 pm
You are required to assist with their investigatiomn, whether you believe you were mis-sold PPI or not. Once you have signed the authority forms, let the claims management company confirm what you are telling them - that you have not been mis-sold anything. Hopefully this will not take too much longer for you.

mark2

Post by mark2 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:37 am
Hi Melanie

Just a quick question with regards to the whole PPI affair. I believe there was a change in legislation which forces all cases down the PPI route, to enable an IP to try and get more money from the customer. However, my IVA was fully paid months before this change and I feel that my IP (GT) delayed finalising my IVA so they could profit from me. It is now TWENTY ONE months since my final payment was made. A friend paid her IVA off the month before myself and received her CofC around nine months later. Is this a common practice amongst all IP's?

MerlinL14

Post by MerlinL14 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:52 am
Make a complaint to GT's regulatory body, there are no complaints procedures on Gt's web site and other posters have said it is nigh on impossible to get GT to outline this procedure, so go directly to the regulator with you complaint, I believe that all the IP's at GT are regulated by the IPA; http://www.insolvency-practitioners.org.uk/.
Last Payment made 04/12/14. Completion Certificate 25/7/15. IVA company GT. No Issues

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 pm
Is there anyone else still waiting for paperwork to explain whether we have to sign an assignment to EIC or not from Grant Thornton for PPI?

I do at least want to see the paperwork and an outline of what we have to do.

IVA Victim12345

Post by IVA Victim12345 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm
I have had a response to my complaint about no complaints procedure on their website. I have been told that I have to write to them to ask for it. When I eventually received it, it was a joke. Limited, ambiguous and patronising. I will retreive it and post it for you all to see.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:20 pm
The change is legislation you may be referring to Mark resulted from a case ruling that banks who had mis-sold PPI to their customers were held to be liable to compensate those customers for any detriment as a result of their actions. This resulted in these monies being deemed to be assets at the time that the IVA was entered into, leaving IPs with no option but to pursue claims for the benefit of the estate creditors.

The key think to check is whether your IVA proposal provided for such asset to be included - and if so I am afraid you are caught up in this matter in the event that you were mis-sold PPI and are therefore entitled to compensation. Your IP ought to be able to clarify the position for you, but this need not delay the closure of your case.

Purple Butterfly

Post by Purple Butterfly » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:29 pm
Victim12345, we had EIC on the phone last August. I told them I had not had any PPI mis-sold to us. We did have PPI on a loan about 12 years ago & we made a claim when my husband was off sick for 6 months, but we hadn't realised when we took the policy out that his employer paid full sick pay for 12 months any way so we were no worse off when he was sick. When we claimed the payments were covered for 5 months until he returned to work. I explained to EIC that I didn't see how we could claim it was mis sold to us when we had made a claim on the policy, and that since then, I never took any PPI out, knowing that my husband received 12 months full pay. Last week we received a load of paperwork requesting authority to investigate, again I have told them we had no mis sold PPI on our credit cards, but they have said it's a condition of our agreement with GT that we give our authority!!
67 posts Page 4 of 5
Return to “Disputes and IVA Mediation”