Harrington Brooks?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
42 posts Page 2 of 3

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:09 pm
Hello Dand

I goggled your firm Harrignton Brooks & if you read the small print at the very bottom of the page you will find the company that run IVA for them - I believe to be one advice group ltd.
I too went through one site & was passed onto a sister company - but really wished I had found this forum first before I was down the IVA route.
Melanie is right about stopping your payments - that is usually the case when setting up an IVA as you cant afford them & need to raise the first payment for some IVA companies for your creditors meeting.
Phone up Harringtons & ask them whom their IVA compay is that would be running your IVA. Then you can research them before you fully go into the process.
Keep your chin up your in the very early stages & can change your mind if you want to switch.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 pm
That would make sense - as the IP at One Advice's e-mail address is Harrington Brookes!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:13 pm
Thanks for all your help,

this isnt the best start is it.

I only pais them the money today, and they didnt even ask for it, they said pay it when you can. I could only afford it because i had stopped my DD's.

worst case id i will loose the money i have paid them - no big deal in the long term. The worrying thing is that i have already stopped, and therefore missed 2 of my DD's.

Is this a problem if i search elsewhere for an IVA?
F&F Accepted on 12th March 2015!
Completion Cert arrived 26th March 2015!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:17 pm
I suggest that you ask to speak to the IP himself, and discuss your worries with him directly. Within this phone call, you will probably make up your mind whether this is a person you wish to have acting for you on a long-term basis or not. I am sure that everything will be fine once you have had the benefit of this chat.

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:24 pm
Ill do that. I have found the IP's name, and will discuss concerns with him,

was this the company you were thinking of Melanie, and obviously i understand if you cannot comment, but i would be happy to discuss with you via other means if possible.

Ill put another post up asking for experiences with the agent in question, and see the responses.

Would i have cause for a refund if i decided not to go with any of the offers from Harrington? surely i would.

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:25 pm
Hi Dand

No but dont worry you have found the best place for advice & support. I too felt too far gone into my IVA process & was not comfortable with my IVA company & was to scared to pull out because I had missed payments & paid them my fees etc.
I doubt what you have paid them already will be your 1st months payment for your IVA & possibly some upfront fees for them to start the process for you. In which you will have 7 days right to cancel & get your money back. Not sure but if you really feel uneasy with them now - phone up tomorrow & cancel & ask for a refund.
As for IVA firms search the site www.iva.com & in my personal view I would of love to had Melanie Giles OR David Mond as my IPs. They post on the forum & are a huge support to all even those of us not with them.
You are not that far in to change your mind & I am sure the experts can tell you what will happen with you missing a payment or two - but as far as I am aware nothing much more than some letters/phone calls.
Final IVA payment made in April 2013, never ever thought we could do it or get through it but we did! X

An IVA.co.uk Mentor is someone sharing from their experiences of dealing with debt

Lyns x

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:27 pm
I would wait and see what tomorrow brings. I do not know the IP in question, and it would not be appropriate for me to comment on a fellow professional in public. It was not the firm I originally thought of, so I will be interested to know the outcome of your chat tomorrow.

Good luck!

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:32 pm
Thanks as always Mrs Knight.

I think you have hit the nail on the head, the fact is i have started and i didnt want any problems. First i am struggling to get a second bank account, and then this!

I paid them £167.00 which is what they have quoted me for the IVA p/mth. Im sure it wont be a problem getting this back.

After saying all this, i might have just got it wrong about Harrington, like i said, my parents have a DMP with them, and have for a few years, ill ring them tomorrow and check if the IVA company they use is what they say, and also i suppose i better ask if there will be any hand over fee to this company. (although they are probably the same company anyway!)

Im due to have my papers tommorrow, so ill look through these.

Thanks

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:43 pm
Will it hurt contacting other companies? is there a limit?

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:50 pm
No - you can contact as many as you like - but my advise is visit the site I advised of earlier as Melanie did.
Find one you feel comfortable with, because once your IVA is approved you have to deal with them for the term of your IVA.

Lyns x

dand

Post by dand » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:51 pm
Am filling in a form on the website of somebody close to us as we speak!

MrsKnight

Post by MrsKnight » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:55 pm
If its is from this site I am sure you will be in very good hands x

Good luck Dan, your in the right place & just at the beginning of your journey of sorting your debt problems & on your way to becoming debt free.

Lyns x

Rhbjones

Post by Rhbjones » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:03 pm
I started a DMP with Harrington brooks and found out about IVA's and wanted to apply for one, they passed my details to Mazars and they are the company I use with my IP being Tim Askham, Although in hinsight i would loved to have found this forum before i committed!

gracey84

Post by gracey84 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:58 pm
Evening...

My IVA was with Harrington Brooks, I'm three years into it now, but after 18months at Harrington Brooks they transferred me to a company called Tenon Group. Although my Supervisor has not changed.

I hope this helps a little

dand

Post by dand » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:07 am
Thanks Gracey,

i think this proves that they can give IVA's then!

Still a little unsure to be honest. Oh well im off work until after Easter on leave, and its my priority to have this sorted (in principal anyway!) before i return back to the stress of work.

Thanks
42 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”