Harry

18 posts Page 1 of 2

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:05 pm
I'm sitting at my desk at work trying not to cry. I really don't know what to do about Harry - Dave has just phoned and told me that although the neighbours have put chicken wire over their pond, Harry has still managed to get some plants out.

It's got past the point of being funny now, as it seems as though every time we let him out when we're not there he steals more. Dave is going over to speak to the neighbours this time, and I'm worried that things are going to get nasty, after the tone of the note last week.

Harry is also being stubborn and refusing to eat his food - he's fine in every other way so I don't think he's ill, but whatever I put down (apart from Joe and Jills chicken and rice biscuits) isn't good enough - he won't even acknowledge it's there. He's still playing, biting me and doing what he normally does, but I don't know how to get him to eat his meat.

We are talking about keeping him indoors permanently, and I don't think it would bother him as when he has been kept in he sleeps all day, but are we being fair to him? Would it be better for him to let him go to a home where he can do as he wants? I love him so much, but I want to do what's best for him. I'm crying now - I can't bear the thought of not seeing him again.

Sorry to go on, but I've got to tell someone as I really am at my wits end.

moretolife

Post by moretolife » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:09 pm
oh skippy...i feel so sorry for you....it is hard to make decisions like that....we had similar with a dog we had years ago who started snapping and as i childmind it was a heartbreaking time...we seperated him all day long...but eventually we realised he needed a home that didnt have young children...we broke our hearts.

how old is harry...if he is elderly..maybe as you say keep him in permanently....if he is still young then he can easily adapt to a new environment

dont make any decisions when in a state tho...wait and see what neighbours say.....

keep us informed...mop up your tears....think of a happy thought....
IVA completed 11th Dec 2009 due to a Full and Final with the fantastic help of Michael Peoples and
Mc Cambridge Duffy

Visit my blog...Journey from Debt to Life Post IVA
http://moretolife.blogs.iva.co.uk

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 pm
Skippy, I'm so sorry, please don't cry.

There is nothing wrong with Harry being an indoor cat. Make sure he has lots of "play" time and toys and cat climbing things and he'll be fine.

Nia very rarely goes out, only in the back garden once in a blue moon and she's great. Cat's love sleeping day and night and I think it will only take a couple of weeks for him to get used to it.

In other countries, USA for example, they wouldn't dream of letting their cats out. It's definitely not cruel and if you even consider sending him to another family, there will probably be other problems.

That's just my opinion anyway, I know how much you love Harry and he loves you, he'll be ok, I'm sure of it. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:20 pm
Thanks TOL and Viki. Harry is about 3, but not the most active cat in the world shall we say! I've been home for lunch and I was looking at him and to be honest I think he would be ok indoors. We're keeping him in today and when I left he was asleep on the bed.

I really don't want to rehome him, and I wouldn't want to give him back to the charity as I don't like to think of him going to strangers. If he has to go the only people I would want to have him are my mum or my aunt and uncle - he knows them and they all love him.

Hopefully it won't come to that and we can find a solution x

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:36 pm
If I were you, I would keep him in and maybe in the future think about getting another cat as company for him when you are not there.

I have been called cruel for keeping my cats as house cats, but they are both pedigree British Shorthairs and the breeder we got them from said she only sells kittens to people who will keep them as housecats, she says they are far too precious to "lose" [:D] I always had cats when I was young and they all got killed on the roads. My cats are well fed, well looked after and play with each other during the day, they have plenty of toys and affection from us humans. The only time one of them has been out was last Xmas when George escaped through the open door, he could not fend for himself, that is my fault, I know, he has no skills to survive outside as I have pampered him but I think being a housecat is better than getting run over or stolen or attacked by a dog!

Maybe you could give him a trial period inside and see how he goes, some cats just don't like going out.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:48 pm
I was wondering about getting another cat to keep him company, although I think his little nose might be well and truly put out of joint as he's the centre of attention at the moment!

I'm going to keep him in for a while and see what happens, and if he's happy indoors we'll keep him as a house cat, if not we'll have to have a rethink about him, but I can't bear the thought of him not being there when I get in.

Robbiecat

Post by Robbiecat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:52 pm
First off, Skippy, {{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

Now, speaking from (not inconsiderable) experience,

Keeping Harry completely indoors is NOT cruel, providing that you supply him with lots of attention, play and stimulation.

Also, if he won't eat meat, don't stress it too much - I've had plenty of cats who prefer dried food over wet - in fact, my lot prefer dried food and all my 5 adults only eat probably 1/2 a packet of whiskas/felix a day, if that! The secret is to get a REALLY paletable TOP QUALITY dried food. 3 good ones are "Royal Canin Sensible 33", which costs £11.50 for a 2kg bag in Pets at Home, "Burns" dried catfood which is about £9 a bag mail order, and "James Wellbelloved Adult Cat" which is about the same price as the Royal Canin, also found in Pets at Home. I find a 2kg bag roughly lasts about a month per cat. You DON'T have to feed wet food. The secret is not to feed a rubbish or cheap supermarket dried food - that means NO IAMS, even though it seems expensive/good, it's cr*po!! Hills is not the best food either.

If it makes you feel any better, 75% of cats in the USA are strictly indoor! As long as you give him lots of fuss, playtime and love, he will be absolutely fine! If you want to have help via email sorting things out for Harry, it's fine for admin to pass my email addy on to you. :) Melanie will confirm that I have more than just a bit of cat knowledge because of my background! ;o)

Good luck, and you know where I am. :)

RC
Good luck, don't stress because you are not mean keeping him indoors, and try the foods I mentioned.

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:54 pm
I think he will be ok, if you do think about getting another cat, we were advised to get a different age and sex, so it is not so much a threat

yes, George wanted to kill Poppy when she came, he hissed at her and chased her for a few days but as she was so small, she used to hide from him and he could not get her!

Now they are the best of friends, she walks up to him and licks his chest and then he gives her ears a good clean out with this tongue, she loves it, YUCK[:D]

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:03 pm
Thanks RC.

The main thing that worries me is that we both work, but Dave works for himself and often goes home during the day. I work 10 minutes away and go home nearly every lunch time, so we'll be around during the day.

He was eating meat up until Sunday evening, when nasty mummy put down turkey and ham flavour, which I knew he wasn't keen on. Since then he's turned up his nose at tuna and duck, and grudgingly ate some chicken and turkey! He likes Joe and Jills dried food, but I'll try the ones you've recommended RC as the Joe and Jills is quite difficult to get here.

I'll play with him as much as he wants when I'm home, and I know Dave will as well. When we go away my mum goes in 3 times a day, so he's well looked after.

Admin, please can you pass my email address to RC, as I'm thinking I might need some advice about this!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:14 pm
Skippy,

On the issue of the food, Nia goes through stages where she will yum one particular brand for months and then turn her nose up at it for no reason. We regularly change her wet food brand but always stick to the same dry food and she prefers the dry to the wet.

Maybe if you get something completely different he might just have wanted a change. You know what cats are like! Hope you're ok, big hug from me. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

mum of 4

Post by mum of 4 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm
Hi Skippy,

I have two cats that are indoor cats, they never go out on their own, we do sometimes let them out on a harness and a lead. They are very content to be inside but you will need to provide the stimulation they would get outside. We don't let ours out as we live on a main road and they are pedigree and likely to get themselves pinched!

You will need to provide toilet facilities, toys and scratching posts (try to buy the ones made from wood and sisal rather than cardboard inners - try not to colour co-ordinate to carpets - learnt to my costs about that!!)Zooplus is good for basic equipment.

There are a couple of really good books about cat behaviour written by Vicky Halls called Cat Detective and Cat Counsellor.

I would try to keep him in for some time to see how he reacts to being a house cat, some cats love it, others never like it but if he is not the most active cat he will probably adapt to it without a problem.

Another alternative is catproof fencing, take a look at purrfect fencing, it comes from America and cats cannot climb over it, you might like to buy enough to enclose the garden and then Harry can come and go outside as he wants but he cannot then get out of the garden. Hope you resolve the problem as it would be awful to lose him because he's a bit naughty!!

angela18

Post by angela18 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:18 pm
my cat prefers to be in.. although she's 12 now.. she always has.. her sister on the other hand came in for food then hopped through window straight back out..

she has biscuits on a morning and sachet of food on an evening... she's fine with both.. not keen on whiskas but prefers felix!!
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:27 pm
Skip, just caught up with this thread.

I'm sure Harry will be fine as an indoor cat. I used to have two cats who I never let out, even though they would have loved it as I lived on an extremely busy main road at the time. They were both fine.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:23 pm
Thanks for all your kind words - you made me cry again!

Since I last posted there have been some developments - Dave has spoken to the lady who owns the pond and she laughed! Dave offered her money towards the damage Harry had done but she wouldn't take it. She likes the cats going in her garden, and has told us just to take the plants back if he nicks them again. The people upstairs had seen him rooting around and also find it highly amusing!

We are going to keep him in for a little while and let him out when we are at home so we can keep an eye on him.

Also, the little pest has eaten his dinner! We've been feeding him Sainsburys own brand pouches ever since we've had him, so my mum gave me some Whiskas pouches. He wasn't interested at first, but obviously the cod flavour smelt too good to leave! I'm just hoping it doesn't have the same effect on his tummy as Felix...

Thank you all so much for your advice. I now know that if he does have to be an indoor cat for any reason it's not the end of the world, and I won't panic next time he doesn't eat, I'll just try changing his food. I think the 80 Sainsburys pouches will go down the shed until he gets bored with Whiskas!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:34 pm
He is indeed a lucky puss to have such a loving Mummy and Daddy.

Angela who works in my office has cats which she takes for walks on a lead, and I even saw someone the other day taking a ferret for a walk on a lead (was it you Robbiecat on Cowbridge Road???), so if he does decide to become more housebound then you can always give him that outdoor exercise.

Not sure that I can imagine Dave taking him for a walk on a lead, but he could always buy a blonde wig and dark glasses and no-one would know it was him!!!

Joking aside, I know how attached we all get to our pets. I can't bear to think of anything horrid happening to my beloved little Yorkie, and you are right to be concerned but he could not possibly find a better home. Hope it all works out for you which I am sure it will.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “pets corner”