Have we made the wrong decision??

3 posts Page 1 of 1

kelse

Post by kelse » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:35 pm
Hi, after the reading numerous posts I am starting to wonder if we have chosen the right company. My partner is in the forces and I have seen the posts about Resolve but they aren't the one we have gone with as we didn't know about them at the time. I know that Melanie has got experience with this, so does it make a difference who you're with when you're in the forces??

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:51 pm
Hi Kelse

I think it helps to have an IP with experience of the forces - and although Resolve claim to have this they are really no different to any other debt counselling company. The person who runs Resolve used to work for Warrior Financial Services, and they use a firm of IP's based in Northern Ireland.

Having served for 19 years in the reserve forces, and being married to an ex-22 year soldier, I like to think that I understand the system a little, and can sympathise with the trials and tribulations of married life - both as a serving soldier and wife of! I also have lots of armed forces clients in my current portfolio.

The key thing is understanding that forces personnel require some flexibility within their budgets, given that you never know from one year to the next where you may be posted to. And also in the writing of the IVA proposals, I always put in some special provisions for forces personnel - such as quoting the provisions which relate to bankruptcy proceedings in Queen's Regulations.

And don't forget you have to have a working relationship with your IP for the next five years. This is based on trust - and it works both ways. Do make sure that you have someone you can turn to for advice at any time, as there are no crystal balls in the Armed Forces these days unfortunately.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

steve532

Post by steve532 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am
Hi.
I went with resolve and the IP firm in Ireland and I have nothing but praise for these guys.
It was made very clear in my proposal that I was a serving member of thr Forces and the Queens Regs regarding BR, also they prpared a proposal showing in the case of BR my creditors would get NOTHING 0p in the £. It also clarified the changing circumstances of Operational tours, LOA, LSSA etc etc, From my 1st contact with Resolve to IVA acceptance was 49 days.
Now I can sleep again at night.
Good luck in your IVA.

steve
steve
3 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for february”