Heard from my first creditor!

8 posts Page 1 of 1

yahwob

Post by yahwob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:59 am
Had a phone call today from my first creditor, Barclaycard. Wrote to them 10 days ago and sent them a cheque for £75.00, I'm using the debt help charity so doing it all myself. It wasn't to bad but I do feel Barclaycard are taking advantage of the situation a bit. They told me they had my proposal and my cheque but they were not accepting it!

After I'd stopped having my heart attack I heard him say they actually were willing to accept £84.00 a month. Well that's not so bad, only £9.00 a month more than I'd proposed. That's when they started taking advantage though, he said they needed the £84.00 today and when I asked what happened to the £75.00 I'd already sent he said that was just going towards the balance and they needed a seperate £84.00 today. He also said I would be paying charges for not making the minimum payments for the next two months and then once I'd paid the April payment they would confirm everything in writing and I'd be on a proper agreement for the £84.00 a month on a "very very reduced interest rate".

So on the one hand I'm quite happy, they are accepting my DMP plan at £84.00 a month at reduced interest which is only a few pounds more than I proposed. On the other hand though I've paid the first £75.00 for no real benefit and I'm going to be hit with charges for not making the minimum payment for the next two months even though it's agreed I'm on a debt plan.

Another plus though is he said now that it's all set up they won't be ringing me again so I don't have to worry about numerous nasty phone calls from them.

One creditor down, two to go now :)

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am
Good to hear a bit of positive news about Barclaycard as they often get a bad press here. Once the plan is in operation it should go smoothly and hopefully your other creditors are as quick to respond to your offer.
Last edited by Michael Peoples on Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm
It does make a change for Barclaycard.

Good news that they are accepting the payments, but not so good that they are going to slap more charges on!

You can't win them all I suppose!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

yahwob

Post by yahwob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm
Yes I was a bit worried about Barclaycard as I'd read some peoples comments about them not being that helpfull but apart from the extra charges they do seem to have accepted what I've proposed which is good.

Still havn't heard from Tesco yet two and a half weeks after writing to them and cancelling my DDm with them. Last one is Sainsburys credit card which I'm writing to on Friday.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 pm
I don't know what Sainsbury's or Tesco are like. I don't think I've heard anyone say what they are like with regard to phone calls or letters, or accepting DMP's.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:26 pm
I tend to agree with Jan here, and would sound a slight note of caution in as much as they are wanting more than you can afford and are not freezing interest. If your other creditors follow suit then you may need to take professional help. The point of having a proper budget that you can live with is totally defeated if you are asked for money you haven't got and bow to the pressure. You will end up with a situation where you have no life at all.

I also strongly suspect that if your proposed budget allowed a payment of, say, £65 per month then they would have come back to you asking for £75, so a lot of emphasis seems to be placed by creditors on retaining control over the debtor.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

yahwob

Post by yahwob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:34 pm
Well your right ofcourse in so far as if the other two creditors come back and ask for another ten pounds a month each then all of a sudden I'm £30 a month worse off than I budgeted for.

I did my expenditure form allowing a bit of leeway in any case but I did wonder when talking to Barclaycard if they had actually even looked at my form, or if they were working to their own guidelines about minimum acceptable payments.

Well anyway if it's just them wanting an extra tenner a month I can live with it if it means the DMP is all accepted. Just have to wait and see what the other two say.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:36 pm
Fair enough, good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Debt Management”