Help please

65 posts Page 2 of 5

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:12 pm
thanks both of you , just a bit of light relief for you both when you think things can't get any worse, my iron packed up, hoover went on blink (warranty ran out in december) my armchair in front room appears to have a massive tear on the seat but no one knows how it got there, and my middle child due back to school tomorrow as i am to work decided to break his ankle today, spent afternoon at hospital to be told to go back tomorrow to have crutches fitted, if i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all, although feel like screaming it wouldn't be me if things don't go wrong
happy new year everyone mines certainly started well, at least i can laugh about it all at the moment,
the new ip told me to get papers from court so they could make sure i fill them in properly and don't miss anything out, as i was going to do it on line lily, i just want to get the ball rolling now so i know where we stand in regards to house and cars as thats all the assets we have, daft isn't it when you have gone through so much money but nothing to show for it.
well heres to 2007
kerri
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:35 am
Hi,
The letter states that in the event that my IVA gets rejected then the IP keeps the money that I have paid , though in case the IVA doesn't come thru then my case gets sent back to Debt free me & then they will put me on a 'management plan' - this was what I was told yesterday.. Has anyone had such an experience? And my IP says that the creditors meeting will mostly take place early Feb'07 ( which will almost be 5 months since starting the process !!)
Or i guess my only other option will be to find a new firm & start an IVA process all over again ..
So i have decided to stick with them till the creditors meeting ( as i have paid for the past 3 months )& then take it from there.
Unless anyone has a better suggestion .
Thanks
maya
IVA Completed

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:12 am
maya that is basically the same as my ip but he didn't inform me of that until rejection, i would take alternative advice, how confident are they of getting your iva accepted? mine weren't and i think they knew that as they would still make money from me when they refer back to the debt management company, i have walked away from that company as the very first thing they told me was a DMP was not an option as it would take over 25 yrs to pay off
kerri

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:49 pm
kerri,
They seemed confident of the iva going thru',unless it was sales talk !!!! Who can i get alternative advice from ? Can you or anyone recommend their own IP, in whom they have total trust & confidence in & who is willing to take on my case in the event that it is rejected the first time ? For now i will have to wait & suffer in silence .... till the creditors meeting... its really dragging me down & i can't concentrate on work or anything ...
Please let me know.
maya
IVA Completed

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:38 pm
maya i know how you feel it is a terrible long wait, since my problems with my own ip i have taken advice from myvesta and payplan, i was then contacted by a lovely lady from thomas charles who hopefully is going to see me through bankruptcy, a route i didn't want to take but now have no option as i have missed 6 months payments to creditors because i paid the up front fees believing these would be used in the iva. what i would ask your company is couldn't they use what you had already paid into debt free as initial iva payments instead of having to pay 5 months fees and be very disappointed if it gets rejected, i must admit mine is one of the very few on here that has been rejected.
kerri

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:08 pm
kerri,
thanks for that . I will get in touch with all the names you have mentioned. & no as my IP is not with debt free me , they aren't accepting my offer to use from what i have paid. Therefore i will see what comes up from the meetings etc.& take it from there. Guess i haven't got an option till the creditors meeting so ....
Can i ask you why haven't you gone with the others for an iva ? instead of bankruptcy ? i.e won't you loose your job, etc.Am i being naive here ?
maya
IVA Completed

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:42 pm
one of my creditors objected outright and wouldn't even consider any ammendments apparantly and they had 26/28% of the vote so i couldn't get the 75% which is needed, there is nothing in my works contract to say if i go BR that i will lose my job, everyone else who i have spoken to said they would never have put my proposal at £500 as synergi did as it wasn't leaving me a realistic amount for a family of 5 to live on, i would love to do an iva but as i went in with a high offer the first time and my biggest creditor nothern rock wanted me to pay 618 per month or no deal so i can't realistically see them being in favour of a lower offer, even though Br means they will get a lot less daft isn't it
kerri

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:58 pm
kerri,
oh ok i see . I won't be paying £500 , much less than that . No idea if this means that the iva might get rejected , but i constantly have had assurances from debt free & my ip that they don't foresee a problem with my iva ... Lets see. Anyway in the meantime i will keep asking questions everytime i hear from my ip .
Cheers
maya
IVA Completed

neverending

Post by neverending » Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:28 pm
Maya
hang in with your current IP.If you changed now you would not get a creditors meeting any earlier than you are now.
Can you just clarify that the three months money that you paid to debt free me will not be put into your IVA pot if it,s accepted ?
Andy Davie

maya

Post by maya » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:12 pm
Don't beleive ( 90% sure ) that the 3 months money will go towards my IVA pot , though i will check this out.
As they did pay a £ 1.00 to each of my creditors :(
maya
IVA Completed

neverending

Post by neverending » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:37 pm
Maya
Your case just shows how wide the gap is between a "good" IVA company and a "bad" one.Again the lack of regulation in the Industry has let you down.I hope that all your waiting gets the reward that it deserves.
Andy Davie

ukmoneyadvice

Post by ukmoneyadvice » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:50 pm
Hello, this is a note to all really. Your IVA should really go through in 8-10 weeks and should you find it is taking longer, it is usually down to the fact you may well have been referred to an IP via a Debt Management Company.
Often, people with debt problems do not immediately enter into an IVA, by and large it is by referral. When this happens, often the Debt Managemnt Company will ensure that you start to contribute with immediate effect, usually your disposable monthly income.
Often the client pays this because the Debt Management Company has reassured them all is okay. However, the problem lies in the fact that often you will pay between £200 and £300 for 3 months before an IP is even contacted. Additionally, the IP then charges you fees. Very often your fees from an IP are deducted during the course of the IVA. The delays often happen becaused the Debt Management Company in question are charging you due to the fact you have problems, and then passing you to an IP. At this point, Debt Management Companies usually get a commission from the IP, industry standard being between £500-£1250 per case. Considering the fees already taken by the DMC at the outset, this can prove a very costly excercise for you.
Debt Management Plans and IVA's certainly have a use and help people in tremendous ways. However, just be aware that you should if you have usually over £18,000 of debt ring an IVA company first to avoid the referral process.
If you need any free advice, and it is free, please do not hestiate to contact me for assistance. Wishing you all the best and hope this post helps.
John Taylor-Groom has over 20 years experience in the Debt Management sector.

www.ukmoneyadvice.co.uk
www.blufinancial.co.uk
0800 280 2437

neverending

Post by neverending » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:38 pm
A very good point and it begs the question of why bother with a debt management company ? Do your homework via this site and then contact an IP direct.Would also question paying the agreed monthly amount before the IVA has been agreed.Try and deal with an IP that does not want any payment until the IVA is agreed that way you can be sure that they will give your case absolute priority as failure to get the IVA approved will mean that they will earn nothing,a hell of an incentive !!!
Andy Davie

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:16 pm
An insolvency practitioner worth their onions will usually prepare the voluntary arrangement document within 4-6 weeks of initial contact.

If anyone's arrangement is taking longer than that to prepare, talk to the IP directly as I am sure that they will be happy to give a progress report.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:37 pm
i did talk to my ip and was told there was a backlog thats why it took 5 months to get to the creditors meeting, but generally speaking i believe it was to make sure they had there return if they had had to pay debt man company for referral and thats why it cost me 5 month upfront fees which i lost because iva was rejected.
65 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “hot hot hot topics in 2007 ! more than 60 replies”