Help with my debts

49 posts Page 2 of 4

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:52 pm
Part of the problem has been that I have taken this on my shoulders on my own for so long. The mrs has known of our debt problem, but I have always "dealt" with it as such.
Got the point where I am so stressed that I could not cope on my own any more.
Month on month, I am robbing peter to pay paul and it can't continue.
My wife is so upset with it all that I almost wish I had not put this on her shoulders although we are both in part to blame for our situation.
I am really worried about how it may effect our jobs and our children in the future.
I can deal with the "stigma" but the reality is certainly now beginning to hit home - hard.
Help, please!

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:55 pm
what have other people's experiences been? How has this effected your personal and professional lives?
Help, please!

Til

Post by Til » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:56 pm
By facing up to your debts you are doing the best thing you can do for your childrens future so be proud of that [:)]
It may be a scary road but you are now on your way to dealing with the debt and finding a way out - there is always a way and once you decide on them they are never as scary as you had feared.
Debt consumed our lives all the time but now we are slowly seeing a way forward and hopefully one day an end to it all - you can too.
Good luck with everything xx
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:19 pm
Cheers Til,

The kids are the priority, I am just scared it will effect our jobs (police officer and financial consultant) which would leave us in a catch 22 somewhat.
You are right - debt consumes you and dominates everything and is at the heart of all the problems we have as a couple and as a family.
Luckily we are strong, and we have excellent families and but for them the problem would be far worse. I have no plans to tell them though
Help, please!

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:44 pm
oooh, one more question for those with way more of a clue than me....
I note 75 per cent of your creditors have to agree to the IVA - is that worked our pro rata - i.e if you owed one company half of your debt to they have a greater casting vote?

I have 38k of debt - £27k of that is to one company via a personal loan and a credit card - actually plus £2k more in overdraft.

I would guess if they say "no" I am screwed as far as an IVA goes? Are they more likely to say know as they are the company we owe most money to? Or conversely, are they more likely to accept as they have the casting vote? Thoughts?
Help, please!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:47 pm
What company is it?
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:54 pm
halifax
Help, please!

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:03 pm
Well it's not MBNA or TSB who might vote no and mess it up so that's got to be a good thing but I've no idea what Halifax are like when voting. I have Halifax as a creditor too. Maybe Melanie can let you know. X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:11 pm
They are very supportive of IVAs and we will work with you to put the best offer forward, assuming that you decide that an IVA is the best option for you.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:16 pm
Its looking that way Melanie. Tina rang me this morning - extremely professional, polite and approachable. Thanks
Help, please!

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:50 pm
Right, for those in the know - I have a shed load of questions - please feel free to help.

1) If debts are in joint names, do both of you have to register in the IVA?
2) Can you keep a present current account if you don't owe any money (overdraft etc).
3) Are you more likely or less likely to be accepted for an IVA having never missed previous credit payments?
4) Can it effect our jobs (police officer/financial advisor).
5) If my house is presently worth roughly the same as we owe, can a provision for some equity still be put in place for year 4?
6) If an IVA is rejected, does it still effect your credit rating?
7) Will I be made to downgrade my car (worth £2.5k and essential to get to work?)
8) Will my wife be made to downgrade her car (worth £2.5k and essential for work?)
9) What documents do I need to try and get in place/request prior to putting together an IVA proposal?
10) Is your credit rating effected as badly as it would be through bankruptcy?
11) How quickly after the 5 year term can your credit recover?
12) What happens if incomes drop significantly?
13) What happens if incomes increase significantly? (is this simply reviewed annually or monthly - u.e if i get some unexpected over-time or if the wife gets a performance related bonus?)
14) Part of my wife's wages are paid in Asda's vouchers by choice - do they count towards our income?
15) What happens with existing mobile phone contracts - do they get terminated (neither are large amounts - £20 pcm each)
16) What happens in relation to the increase in the cost of living?
17) What happens with HPI credit?
18) What are this week's winning lottery numbers?
Help, please!

Til

Post by Til » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:03 pm
Hi I can't answer all but can answer a few!...

7 & 8 - my hubby and i both own cars of same value as yours and it was never even raised about getting rid of them so yes you can keep them - especially if needed for work.

11 - your credit will be trashed for 6 years from when you get accepted and then may take a while to rebuild but not impossible - not that I ever want credit again but it is good to have for mortgage deals etc.

15 - you can keep your existing mobile contracts as we did and ours are similar cost to what you state.

However all of these are questions your IP will be able to discuss with you before you take any decision or action.

Good luck! [:)]
"Hope is the feeling you have that the feeling you have isn't permanent." - Jean Kerr

IVA approved Aug 2008 - 6 year term - last payment made 6 Oct 2014. CC received 14 Nov 2014.

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:26 pm
that's a good start. Thanks

The bank account issue is a major one as I need one with a debit facility. Don't want an overdraft, but want to be able to use chip and pin and use for online shopping.

The other biggie is the effect is may (or may not) have on our jobs.
Help, please!

Til

Post by Til » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:11 pm
Can't answer Job question as no expert but re bank account you can open a Coop Cashminder over the phone and they don't mind if you are in IVA or BR - I told them I was in IVA when I called and they said that was fine - you get debit cards, direct debits and standing orders and online banking with it... the only checks they run is an ID one to avoid money laundering etc so bad credit not an issue either.

Most people swap their banks before they go into IVA so as to make a clean start with a no credit account and with a bank you owe nothing to - hope this helps [:)]

ineedhelp

Post by ineedhelp » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:33 pm
I have an account now with no overdraft - will that still be useable whilst in iva?
Help, please!
49 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”