Homeowner to tenant - a positive story

43 posts Page 2 of 3

tigger

Post by tigger » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:47 am
Well done Angelrainbow!

We're 2 months into our new house and the extra space is amazing - although it did take a whole day to trim the perimeter hedges!

Our landlady is more of a good friend than the "property owner" and said that we are more than welcome to buy the house whenever we are raedy. Definitely achievable in 2 or 3 years time - which came as quire a pleasant surprise!

Although a massive jolt to the system at the time, my IVA has acted as a catalyst to move on to better and brighter things.

David
Last edited by tigger on Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

banjoplayer

Post by banjoplayer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 am
Congratulations tigger, a great post that certainly gives anyone with their own home and undecided about renting a positive view instead of any negatives.

We all have to give something up as we enter into an IVA but then again we are all going to benefit long term as long as we do the right things and get through the 5 or 6 years of hardship.

Regards BP
Dance like no-ones watching

Shining

Post by Shining » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:23 pm
I am buying my house but by the time I've remortgaged and completed my IVA I will be 50, will I ever realistically complete my payments, who knows? I sometimes wish we rented and others am happy to be buying but as ladyh says positive memories to leave your children are worth far more than a pot of money.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 pm
Whilst I am buying my house, and am more than happy to do so, I am doing it because I love where I live and don't want to move.

My parents have rented all of their lives, so I will have nothing once they have gone.

I can honestly say that I don't care, they're happy and that's the main thing.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:53 pm
It wouldn't be worth it for us to rent as it's more expensive to rent round here. I also like being able to decorate and change things around without having to ask for permission.

I do believe it's each to their own, so people should do what is best for their own circumstances.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:59 pm
You have been lucky, and it does sound lovely where you live.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm
You've been really lucky Ladyh - my friend has to ask permission to put a picture on the wall!

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:29 pm
I was told we could do what we like, as long as we didn't alter the structure of the house and as long as anything we did do was put back to how it was originally when we move out.
Our agreement from the letting agency says a lot of things, but our landlords only live round the corner and have OK'd a few things - like being able to have a works van and a caravan at the property.
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:43 pm
That wouldn't do for me. I would not want to pay good money out to alter things, if I had to pay it out again to put it back to how it was.

I wouldn't want to ask permission as to what vehicles I could park outside either.
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:02 pm
Hmmmm!!!!!!!! Complicated is right![:D]
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:08 pm
I agree with Jan on this one - I'd only pay to do alterations if they could be left, not if I had to change it back. That seems a waste of money to me.

Ladyh that arrangement sounds very complicated!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:11 pm
Pity that's not your rent ladyh!
Bob Marley.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 pm
Perhaps when the recession is over he might get his job back and you can go back to living rent free!
Bob Marley.

angelrainbow

Post by angelrainbow » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:39 pm
kallis3 wrote:

That wouldn't do for me. I would not want to pay good money out to alter things, if I had to pay it out again to put it back to how it was.

I wouldn't want to ask permission as to what vehicles I could park outside either.
Funnily enough, going back to a thread of this week, several housing estates we looked to rent on wouldn't let Mr R park his works van on the estate let alone asking for landlord's permission. We go whinged at about it when we were home owners and lived on a bloomin estate before. Ridiculous!
Completion Certificate received September 2012.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:55 pm
My parents live on a council estate, and no one on there ever asks for permission to park anything or do anything. They just do it.

The first house I bought before my first marriage, I couldn't park a caravan there. Not that I ever wanted to as I have never wanted a caravan!

Haven't a clue whether or not there are any rules here but people do park their work vehicles there.
Bob Marley.
43 posts Page 2 of 3
Return to “renting”