House Market Crash and IVA

62 posts Page 2 of 5

jpj

Post by jpj » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 pm
It also weeds out the men from the boys in the Estate agency and mortgage market as only the fittest survive!..not a bad thing!
If house sales are down 50% its still the same question...is the glass half full or half empty??

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 pm
I live in South Staffordshire and houses here are still selling, all be it slowly.

Michael, I would buy if I was in a position to do so, but I love where I live. We bought this house in 1989, just before the property market went bump and immediately went into negative equity. We rode it out.

I think this will happen again and in a few years it will start to pick up again.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:11 pm
Yes, I would buy even now. We moved last year, and the value of the house isn't the point - it's our home, not a way of making money.

jpj

Post by jpj » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:15 pm
2 of my friends (first time buyers) have just bought..I said wait a bit..but they said they wanted a place of their own,that they could do work on and live in for 5 years..as i said the other day on here, houses at present have to be treated as homes and not cash dispensers!

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:17 pm
I remember when i had a mortgage in 1995 and i had to put forward a deposit and the average value for a 2 bedroom flat was £40000.
Now that same flat is worth £200000 on the property market.
What person is going to sell a flat like that at the sort of price.

I also remember Building Societies would only lend you 3 x your Annual Salary for a Mortgage.

Nowadays it has gone completely mad with Banks and Building Societies such as Northern Rock
offering 100% deals on mortgages for £200000.

Houses have overpriced themselves and there is no alternative but for them to crash , meaning Negative Equity for Millions of Customers.

jpj

Post by jpj » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:23 pm
The long term trend for house prices will always be up..they are not making any more land and the population is booming...prices will be 50% higher in 10 years time than they are today!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 pm
I would say though Andrew, that if you bought at £40,000 in 95 and it is now worth £200,000 you could sell at any price below that and still make a fantasic profit.

A house is only worth what someone is willing to pay, and a lot of people are greedy in the hope that someone will pay an inflated price.

I agree though that mortgage companies are very irresponsible when they lend 6 times peoples salaries on whatever property they want.

I work with someone who earns possibly $15,000 a year, he is married and he and his wife, who only does a small amount of child minding and they have 6 kids between them. Last year they bought a house for £325,000 which needed a fair amount of work doing, and he self certified because there was no way he would have got the money otherwise.

Perhaps if the mortgage companies made a deeper check people wouldn't be trying to overstretch themselves.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:36 pm
You can make an argument for anything you want, and if you can find a gullible TV reporter or Tabloid Journalist then you can present it as fact.

Lies, damned lies and statistics.

One post earlier said that rental prices are on the increase, another report I read today said that the buy to let sector is dead.

Someone must be wrong.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

michael.t47

Post by michael.t47 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:42 pm
i was there or crash in 80s and 90s and it is happening again we are going into recession an banks creating it

michael.t47

Post by michael.t47 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:44 pm
this is what capitalists do

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:28 pm
Well things have certainly crashed for us!!

8 weeks into our house sale due to exchange on Friday and our buyers pulled out on Monday!!

Their reason being because of the fall in house prices.

Well and truely left in it as the sale of the house was to offer a full and final on our IVA.

Today we have put it back on the market 6k less than 8 weeks ago.

No tenants no rental income no hope for next month!!

Hey at least its not raining lol!!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:31 pm
michael.t47

I can see your point, but I disagree with you. I lived through, and lost, in the downturn of the 90's. The difference is that then there were interest rates of 15% or 16% and unemployment was far higher than it is now.

If you say enough times that there is a crisis and you must sell, then if people listen there is a crisis and you must sell.

If you say enough times that there is a crisis and you must sell, if people ignore you and don't sell then suddenly there is a shortage of housing stock and the law of supply and demand will force prices up again.

Two or three months ago, I posted on here re a News at Ten lead story of "Pensions in crisis" as 8% had been wiped off the FTSE Index in a day. We were all going to hell in a handcart. By Thursday all losses had been recovered and a net gain had been made of 3%. Surprisingly, News at Ten didn't report that we were now all better off by 3%.

Sit tight and you will be fine, panic and you are in trouble.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:41 am
Spenmotherhen that's awful! It's about time we did the same as Scotland so that once your bid has been accepted it is legally binding and you can't pull out without it costing a lot of money.

One thing that has always puzzled me - when these new estates spring up, why is it that shortly after the houses have been sold, a veritable forest of 'For Sale' signs spring up? Is it that they can't afford the mortgage (in which case they shouldn't have bought them), or did they hope to make a killing very quickly?

I always thought that people bought houses to stay in them for a few years, I certainly did, which is why I managed to ride out the downturn in the 90's.
Bob Marley.

spenmotherhen

Post by spenmotherhen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:44 pm
Its totally pants!!!

Defo think that we should be using the same system as scotland, my IVA F&F could possibly have been accepted by now, I would have been debt free!!

Good news is i have been like a possessed person the past two days and have managed to get a tenant to move in for the beginning of Aug.

So only July to magically find £440 for my IVA payment, £631 for my mortgage, bills, food, petrol etc etc etc!!

The Challenge is on!!

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:52 pm
You can make an argument that we should all be subject to a lot of the rules, regulations and guidelines that exist in Scotland on a number of different matters but it is never going to happen.

Politics, in many forms, has a lot to answer for.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice

62 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “postings for august”