How Do I Feel?

18 posts Page 1 of 2

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat May 14, 2011 4:59 pm
We have not even been accepted for our IVA yet, we are still in the paperwork stages yet the feelings and emotions are many and varied.

We have struggled for many years, the usual things like robbing Peter to pay Paul, getting yet another credit card etc etc.

I don't actually deal with our finances per se, I leave that to the Mrs, we have a join account where both our wages go into and she pays the bills from that. My needs are not great, a few quid for petrol and a bottle of wine once a week are - I would say - not great demands for working full time.

Things came to a head last month when wifey admitted that there was no where to go, and no way to cover all the debts. I suppose I have been expecting this for a while, I suspected we were in strife a couple of years ago but I guess I buried my head in the sand and let her get on with it.

So how do I feel? Nervous, scared, apprehensive, depressed? No, not at all, on the contrary I'm excited about it. Why you may ask when I'm drowning in debt with a possibility of having to declare bankruptcy am I feeling this way?

Simple, I just take a look at my kids, particularly the younger two who, although 8 and 6 have never had a holiday. They have only seen the sea about 2 or 3 times, this when we have managed to spirit away enough funds for a cheap day in Barmouth. Neither of them have stopped away from home for a night, and I'm so looking forward to taking them away. OK, so it will not be for another 5 or 6 years, but they are going to have a fantastic time, and not one penny will be spent that has not been earned before we go.[:D]
Alas, I am dying beyond my means.
Oscar Wilde

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2011 5:06 pm
Nice post 4kids. You will have mixed emotions, we have all been there.

You've a nice positive outlook and your kids will be fine with a holiday in Barmouth or somewhere like that!

Several of our posters have saved up the Sun vouchers for holidays and have had a fantastic time, so you can do it!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 14, 2011 5:44 pm
A very good post and a very positive outlook for your future. Keep focussed and it will all work out, it's not always easy but it's very worth it.

Hopefully you'll be able to take them away on a short Sun break as some of our posters do whilst in the IVA. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat May 14, 2011 6:46 pm
A Sun holiday would be like winning the lottery to me, if we can afford one of those whilst in IVA that will mean we will have more disposable income than we do now.
Oscar Wilde

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 14, 2011 6:52 pm
To be fair I have more disposable now and can afford more than pre-IVA, everything is accounted for and I do enjoy the security the IVA brings me x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2011 6:54 pm
I have more disposable income as well.

Don't forget 4kids that if you don't spend all of your allowances then you can save the money and would be able to spend it on a holiday.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

4kidsnocash

Post by 4kidsnocash » Sat May 14, 2011 8:00 pm
I understand that if allowances are allowed to accrue, I can spirit some away for treats. However, I would be reluctant to do that just in case for example the money saved for new tyres was more than new tyres cost, the excess was spent and then the exhaust went.

I have my eye on the future, another 6 years of scrimping and saving then my kids get a holiday they deserve. I'm not talking about a fortnight at Disney World Florida with all the trimmings, just a nice family holiday to Cornwall (I do love that place) where they can enjoy family treats. The stuff they've missed out on, you know the stuff, burying dad in the sand and the like. Things that all kids should do, and by that time I will be able to take my eldest lad for a pint, something I never got to do with my dad.
Oscar Wilde

Shining

Post by Shining » Sat May 14, 2011 8:02 pm
All very realistic and I'm sure you'll achieve them all. Wishing you all the best along the way x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 14, 2011 8:08 pm
I've been on holiday courtesy of daughter since being in the IVA. You never know what may happen.

Hope you manage to save up for your holiday - you should be able to have a fantastic time.
Bob Marley.

Mikee

Post by Mikee » Tue May 17, 2011 4:00 pm
What a nice and positive post! :) Wishing you and your family all the best!

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:36 am
aww good luck from us too. Taking each day as it comes we'll all get there in the end :)
Steven & Debbie

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:23 am
You are right to be excited as it is such a relief when you can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

It feels so good to pay for stuff and not have to borrow. It feels like you have earnt it more and so it feels better.

I have just had a week in Bridlington with my girlfriend at her parents Caravan so cost us the train fare and money for food and a few quid for fish and chips etc. Saved hard by cutting back so I could enjoy myself and have to say it was the best holiday I ever had!
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:58 am
It helps that the weather was good though Luke - nothing worse than a holiday in the UK when it's chucking it down with rain!!!
Bob Marley.

lukeofyorkshire

Post by lukeofyorkshire » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am
Ah well it did rain and then some lol. We had 2 gorgeous days then it was the odd nice spell with rain then nice again. But we spent most of time in Caravan anyway to save money.

I had books and TV so was very happy looking at the torrential rain through the window. Love the feeling of heavy rain whilst sat nicely indoors hehe. Must have had 8 or 9 torrential downpours in 9 days! Typical British Seaside Weather!
1st payment Oct 2008, last payment Dec 2013. Certificate received March 2015 due to PPI claim.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:15 am
I'd rather be sat at home with torrential rain! Always have the urge to spend if it rains on holiday!!
Bob Marley.
18 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “family forum”