HSBC/FIRST DIRECT

8 posts Page 1 of 1

allan.f

Post by allan.f » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:29 pm
Hi,
The day has finally arrived,I got my letter from First Direct bank to say that they were closing my account in 30 days time.Fortunatly due to this forum I was one step ahead and,after 3 attempts with other banks managed to open a basic account with Nationwide (flexiaccount).It only offers a cash card,however, after some thought it will be better using cash for day to day expenses.A debit card is just as tempting as a credit card,it doesn't seem like spending "real" money and it is easy to get carried away which is what got me in this mess in the first place.I opened my account with First Direct in August 2006 as a clean bank account after starting the IVA process,IVA was approved in January 2007 and I started reading this forum ,there were many references to HSBC/First Direct as being anti IVA so a warning to all account holders with a pending or approved IVA GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN!!
It's ironic really that their advertising campaign revolves around global tolerance and understanding,they have more than adequetly demonstrated that this is just not true.
Allan[^]

Hunter1

Post by Hunter1 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:45 pm
Good for you!

I'm taking the same attitude with Bank Accounts and am with Nationwide too - now into 3rd month of no debit/credit cards and it's not really a problem.

Just have to be disciplined which is what an IVA is all about so very good practice.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:55 pm
I was made BR yesterday (it still sounds strange saying that) and although Lloyds said I can keep my account I have applied to the Co-op for a basic account. I didn't want Lloyds to change their mind a while down the line. Co-op know the score, and if they are happy for me to open an account I'll feel happier. I don't want anyone snaffling my salary!

Onwards and upwards!!!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

go_4_broke

Post by go_4_broke » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:06 pm
Well done Skippy and Hi allan.

I just posted on another topic that I though the words 'ethical creditor' formed a pretty definitive oxymoron.

It is ironic that the ones who make these type of noises often are the worst. I won't mention any names but if I did Co-Op Bank and John Lewis plc would definitely figure.

Actually Co-Op seem to be OK as long as you didn't go BR owing them large amounts of money......

-Best

Please view my blog at www.go4broke.blogs.iva.co.uk

'6 years sticking my head into the Lion's mouth of debt !'
Last edited by go_4_broke on Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

'Vive la differentness'

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:18 pm
When I rang up for the Cash Minder account I was asked was I aware that this account was for people who are BR or have bad credit - that really brought it home to me! Hopefully they'll be ok. I would have preferred Nationwide, but you can't set up direct debits from their account and I didn't want to have to ask someone else to set them up for me.

Onwards and upwards!!!

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

go_4_broke

Post by go_4_broke » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:45 pm
That's strange, I have n/w flexaccount with several dd's set up. Perhaps someone got the wrong end of the stick somewhere.

-Best

'6 years sticking my head into the Lion's mouth of debt !'

'Vive la differentness'

allan.f

Post by allan.f » Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:19 pm
Skippy,
I have just copied the following from Nationwide's web site as you will see they offer direct debits on the Basic account.....

Basic bank account
Nationwide also offer a basic bank account, which is suitable for those who want access to a simple account offering a range of features and benefits:

pay money in and set up regular payments like standing orders and Direct Debits – both in and out
a cash card which enables you to withdraw money and check your balance at any of our branches, cash machines and any Post Office branch
manage your money over the internet
the basic bank account does not offer an overdraft, a cheque book or a debit or credit card
-------------------------------------------
If anyone doesn't want to go down the slippery slope again what more do they want from a bank???
Allan

jamesfalla

Post by jamesfalla » Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:45 pm
Strange to hear about your comment re Nationwide and not being able to set up direct debtis from their basic account Skippy. As Allan says, I have always found that their basic accounts have this facility

James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
8 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for march”