HSBC Friendly ??????

16 posts Page 1 of 2

dots

Post by dots » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:16 pm
Yesterdays' excercise was to eventually go into town and get a high sreet bank account set up...

Unlike my last ditch attempt, this one had some fruition... I went into my local HSBC and said upfront that I am towards the closing months of an IVA but needed an account I could start a contingency fund... They were most understanding and non judgemental and within 10 minutes my details were processing through the system to see if I would be accepted or not.

I was advised that if applied on phone or online I would definately failed the scoring due to the IVA, but up punched the one and only option for me as a BASIC CURRENT ACCOUNT. I could see that some IVA registration details appeared on the screen and the lady just pointed it out that I was on record, but as showed something to offer me, I was accepted in the system and now at long last done it... It is understood that in IVA cases, it is a matter that you need to go into the branch because even if it came up with no option for accounts, it is still up to branch discretion at the end of the day...

So, if you feel you need to, then just pop into a local HSBC full of smiles and openness and you should walk away pleased.

I was amazed after all this time where other banks I would be required to make an appointment and be fobbed off with "Oh Mary is not in on mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays... or any day with a y in, so let us know in 25 years come friday month and we will see if we can book you in!"
Last edited by dots on Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:37 pm
That's great news Gordon - I just hope that it doesn't get turned down when it gets to Head Office!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

dots

Post by dots » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:41 pm
Should not I hope Melanie...

This will not get turned down she said, as it was the computer system that gave me that basic option. It was not a branch decision in my case, it was the scoring on the internal system....

If it came back without options then they made their own discretion, then it may get chucked back...

After all she said, I will be most angry if I get it lobbed back at me!

lily

Post by lily » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:42 pm
Hmmm quite a few with HSBC/first direct have been told to close their accounts. They dont do accounts for people in IVA's was the reason.

Good luck anyways. Hope I am wrong.
lily

Moneystinks

Post by Moneystinks » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:44 pm
I hope everything stays fine. After an initial panic I ended up with 2 accounts! I can totally understand your frustration.
Abbey even gave us a really large overdraft - it was a good feeling going into the branch and asking them to remove it. x

dots

Post by dots » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:45 pm
Before I went into branch, I phoned the Customer Service phone number and ran the issue by them... they went off line for about 30 seconds, then came back to me and said that it was absolutely fine with an IVA, so it was there I was told to just go straight into branch and explain... that is what I did and I suppose now, time will tell!

dots

Post by dots » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:46 pm
Will keep um-forum up-posted as um-t'appens!

dots

Post by dots » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 am
Still holding fast... Made a deposit and a withdrawal and now have received the cashcard, paying-in book and PIN, so seem that has passed through HO approvals...

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:43 am
I would still be wary Gordon! I wouldn't trust any of the banks, but HSBC are the worst as far as I'm concerned.

Having said that I hope you don't have any problems with your account!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:56 am
I agree about HSBC. We were with them for years starting when they were Midland Bank. Nothing was too much trouble then, but a couple of years ago when we got into financial difficulties they hounded us and hounded us, even got us to take out a further secured loan on our house (with our mortgage provider) because they thought we would pay their loan off.

I don't think much of their customer service either. My daughter has a student account with them, and they have not been very good with her at all.

Sorry about the rant, but I do feel much better now!
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

dots

Post by dots » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:57 am
Always good to let off steam Kaillis... I am not in there with my eyes shut... this forum has taught me this from the very beginning, so I am treading very carefully with my eyes open and will see what happens...

I was most clear and open from the onset, so if they end up chucking me back out, the only one that has been at cost is them for all the bother and printing and so on... hey ho!

I would not plan to use it for giant savings... dem um not existum! ... This is just an excercise to try for a contingency high street account as otherwise my bank is Internet Only. If all else fails, then I will have to start to load up the "BREAD" card...
Last edited by dots on Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:12 pm
I wouldn't recommend the Bread card either Gordon - sorry! I had problems with mine as the transactions were never accurate and the figures never matched the available balance which meant it was difficult to keep track of what money was available.

I've got a Tuxedo card now, and although the statement seems slow to update (I bought petrol last Thursday and it's still not showing although the money has been deducted from my account) it seems easier to use. I also like the fact that there is an account attached to it and you can transfer money into the account, and then across to your card when you need it. I also find it easier as I pay £4.99 a month for the card, so I don't have to work out a percentage of what I'm spending to make sure there's enough money there.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:14 pm
Yes indeed Gordon, what are savings? It's been an awfully long time since I had any! Probably be a long time before I get anymore as well!

Good luck with your account.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

dots

Post by dots » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:36 pm
As far as "Bread" is concerned, I am intrigued to learn more of your issues Skippy...

My Bread Card was issued on the back of this forum last year and as paid for by this establishment connections ... do you remember the offer of the £10 paid up fee by associations here? ... Well, that is where I got it from... never used it, but I did read in the conditions that there are all sorts of charges each tme you use it paying in or out... I believe it was just a method of getting on track to contingency saving or even have some income re-directed to and to have the facility of the shop outlets like C/Cards. (but no C!)

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:44 pm
I got mine the same way Gordon. It was fine to start with and at the beginning was 75p to load at the Post Office and free to use so it was really convenient for me.

Then the problems started! I kept noticing that the transactions were wrong, sometimes showing duplicate amounts. The total never corresponded with the available balance, although the available balance was usually correct. I had something debited from my card, credited back and then debited again and to top it off they introduced a charge for using the account!

I emailed Bread about the incorrect debits and was told that they were aware that there was a problem - it's a shame they didn't tell anyone!

This was a while ago, so I don't know if things have improved now...
16 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postings for april”