HSBC

7 posts Page 1 of 1

vickir

Post by vickir » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:57 am
Hi all,
Was a little worried yesterday when i read that HSBC could close my current account at any time - its only a basic account and they were never one of my creditors. So worried that i went into the bank today, and told them of my IVA, they were really good and said that they would not close my account unless they were told to by the IP or the court.
Panic over!!

wen

Post by wen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:37 pm
vickir - I don't want to worry you, but I would move your account to someone else who is a non-creditor too.

The IP or court will not tell them to close your account, but there are computers/people who scan the Insolvency Register (which you are on), and they will give you 1 months notice to leave them. They have a policy to do this, so while you may have been reassured by someone in a branch, do not underestimate the people or computers that work in the HSBC ivory towers!

I can recommend Co-op bank who will offer you a debit card, and excellent customer service. You can ring up and apply over the phone. It is called a cashminder account.

Other accounts are Natwest (which i think is ok if you have an IVA), and you get a Solo debit card, and more branches then co-op.

Depends who your creditors are though.

Be safe and move is my honest opinion. You'll sleep better if nothing else!
Last edited by wen on Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog http://adam.blogs.iva.co.uk/

pixie

Post by pixie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:47 pm
It's always a good idea to have a back up account anyway. I opened 2 whilst waiting for my iva. The intention was to use the first one that was set up! I now use the second one as a contingency account for the annual expenses like car insurance.
If you have a second one ready it won't be as much hassle if they do close your account.

Pixie
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:28 pm
I too have two current accounts, and two savings accounts. Sounds a little bit O.T.T., but they are all for my little savings/contingency pots, including one for Christmas/Birthday presents, one for a little holiday fund (courtesy of the Sun), and one for emergencies. So far, it is working!! [:)]
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:50 pm
I don't think it's OTT cr15py, so long as it works for you. I've got two current accounts and one savings account along with the Bread Card, Natwest is my everyday account and if there is any spare I put it in Smile Account and the Bread card is for the absolute emergency £10-£20.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm
Hi Vickir
I would get a second account lined up as I wouldn't trust what they say,not that the branch staff would close it but it may be a HO decision out of the branches hands.
Regards
Andam Davies

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:31 pm
HSBC seem to have a block policy to close peoples accounts who are in IVAs, so as Andy says it may be better to move on now if you can.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for january”