I have been doing budget shopping!

46 posts Page 2 of 4

FormerlyST1100

Post by FormerlyST1100 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:10 am
Before coming to terms with financial reality we used to shop at different places and get our full shopping there on whatever took our fancy.

Since having to budget we have started using a local fruit and veg shop which is very good and surprisingly cheaper.

Our meat we buy once every couple of months from a company that supplies businesses and find we buy all we need for the 2 months for around £50.

The rest of our shopping we get at Asda using their own brand things as much as possible which, in quite a few cases, actually tastes better than the branded stuff.

It usually leaves us a little over to buy a box of wine every few weeks or a couple of bottles of beer each for the week.

We never used to look at the prices of things, now we look and compare prices, we were surprised at how much some prices can change from week to week.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:18 am
Can't even warrant £6.50 Jan at the minute, I am only just getting contingency almost 3 years into my IVA and now it's gone again on a new basic freezer at the weekend but I did feel good paying for it with my own money and not a payment break again! x

I agree with how much prices change week to week and I'm the one at work who's always getting asked what bargains are out there as I normally know...they just think I'm tight and I'm happy with that x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:28 am
I usually check out prices but tend to use Asda mostly.

Having said that, Tesco are doing a bogof on Pepsi and the milk that we use (Creamfields)is down to 50p for a 2 litre bottle! That might be specific to our local store though.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

New start

Post by New start » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:40 am
Hi everyone

Loving this thread.

I agree with you all about Lidl. I did go the otehr day but i was buying things like loo rolls and fresh veg for the bunnies.

Also they do a very cheap but tasty cider ;-)

Most of our shopping comes from local shops. We have a great butcher, i do most of the grocery shopping in asda as i tend to find it is cheaper for the basics like rice, pasta etc.

I am enjoying finding bargains!

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:44 am
You'll probably all think I haven't learned, but I have to say I go to whichever supermarket is closer rather than looking at the prices! If it's a week day I go to Tesco, if I need something at the weekend it's Sainsburys.

I buy all my dinners at the beginning of the month (local butcher and fish van) and whatever money's left is what we've got for the month for bread and milk etc.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:07 am
We do our shopping weekly, hubby keeps a stock of meat in the freezer so that if we are a bit short of money one week we don't have to starve!

We save some money so we can have fresh fish delivered every three months. Not cheap but very tasty.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:53 am
My hubby catches our trout...not that I eat it of course. Other than that it's cod in breadcrumbs for us.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 am
Never tried trout. We have natural smoked haddock and prawns mostly.

My only thing with fish is bones. I hate them and our fish has to come ready boned.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:00 pm
We've started ordering from a fish van that came round a couple of weeks ago. It's quick frozen but tastes as good as fresh.

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:10 pm
We don't fillet it or smoke it that is the neighbours job, that is who hubby goes trout fishing with, he's a coarse fisherman usually but likes other sorts x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:14 pm
I love smoked haddock! We've got plaice tonight, and we've had cod this week - maybe that's why I lost weight without trying, it's lower in calories than meat!

Shining

Post by Shining » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:17 pm
I need to be more adventorous and then I wouldn't find it such a struggle to lose weight, I think I might like fish but it's again one of those things. xx

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:21 pm
I love fish (unless it still resembles a fish!) and would happily eat it instead of meat all the time if it wasn't so expensive!

My favourites are sea bass and scallops, and I also love things like swordfish and red snapper.

The only things I won't eat are eel or shark or anything like that.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:36 pm
Mine needs to have bones removed (all of them!) and no head. Preferably no skin as well although if I can remove the flesh I have no problem.

I like scallops, hubby doesn't. I don't do mussels or anything like whelks or winkles.

Too many bones in Sea Bass for me. Don't fancy eel but would try shark.

Nothing to do with fish but we have had gator tails - would have those again.
Bob Marley.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:44 pm
I don't think I could eat gator tails Jan!

I'll eat the skin as well providing it's not too tough and scaly!
46 posts Page 2 of 4
Return to “money saving tips”