I have got myself in a real state financiallyl

37 posts Page 1 of 3

Claire-Louise

Post by Claire-Louise » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:19 pm
Hi

I have got myself in a real state financially for a few different reasons. I have finally realised it’s time to face up to my problems. The worry is actually making me ill now and prescription charges are another expense I really can’t afford!
I have been on to the CCCS website and completed the debt remedy questionnaire it stated that the best thing for me would be a Debt Management Plan.

Basically I owe just under £29,000 I have 8 creditors. My monthly income is £1217, my contractual payments are £980. So basically at the moment I am barely managing to live.
My other outgoings including rent etc are £840 I can no longer borrow peter to pay paul and desperately need to get help.
I feel guilty and ashamed it has got to this.
My main question is has anyone on here gone through CCCS to take out a DMP & if so are creditors usually willing to co-opera rate?
Many Thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:22 pm
Hi there and welcome to the forum

I cannot see why CCCS have recommended a DMP to you - why not an IVA?? This would be over in five years, whereas a DMP could take more than ten! This does not seem good advice to me, unless of course they are motivated to get as much back to your creditors as possible.

I would speak to one or two other firms to compare the choices you are given - I always feel it is dangerous to only offer one solution, and therefore always make sure clients are well advised on all options. As you are renting, have you also considered bankruptcy proceedings as a quicker and cheaper option?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

dand

Post by dand » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm
Welcome to the forum Claire.

You have taken the first big step in seeking help for the situation you are in. As Melanie states, an IVA would probably be a more practicle and sensible option.

You can go onto www.iva.com and seek a few IVA companies who will point you in the right direction and give you the best advice available. And it's free!

I can personally vouce for Melanie's company (post above) as I have recently started my IVA route with them.

Good luck, and you have found the right forum for all the help and support you need.
F&F Accepted on 12th March 2015!
Completion Cert arrived 26th March 2015!

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:27 pm
From the facts quoted I agree with Melanie - an IVA may be the most appropriate advice.

I also have my suspicions on what recommendations the CCCS algorithm gives!

You need to have a chat with an IP and give him/her details of all your personal and financial circumstances and particulars.

Visit www.iva.com for reviews on firms and practitioners and select one or two to have a chat with. They will give you
the most appropriate advice and it is free.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

dand

Post by dand » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 pm
that meant to say vouch! - its getting late.........
F&F Accepted on 12th March 2015!
Completion Cert arrived 26th March 2015!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:36 am
As regards prescriptions, if you take medication regularly and it is costing a fair amount a month, have you thought of a pre payment certificate?

I have one, and it costs just over £10 a month and that will cover all your prescription costs for a year.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

mole

Post by mole » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:05 am
Interetingly the CCCS debt remedy programme advised me the best course of action was DMP.
Philx

Claire-Louise

Post by Claire-Louise » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:33 am
Thanks for all the responses. I did think that the advice regarding the DMP seemed all a bit too easy. It stated I would be repaying £347 a month and that my debt would be cleared in 6 years and 4 months.
I am currently renting from my parents my dad is in ill health so for as long as possible I would like to keep my financial situation private, although I hace confided in friends recently which has been a god send.

I will take the advice given and spend some time over the next week contacting a few different places.

Many Thanks

angelc

Post by angelc » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:35 am
Hi Clare-Louise

I have a friend who arranged a DMP through CCCS in August last year. They were happy with the budget given to them by CCCS as it was more than they had been living on for years. All their creditor's agreed the payments for 12 months.

But at Christmas, CCCS reviewed their figures and took more money off them. Said they were reducing their spending gradually as they considered them to be frivolous!

CCCS make them deal with their creditors themselves and they have spent several hours dealing with unpleasant phone calls from them. Last month one of their creditors increased the interest rate as they said they were obviously coping with the payments.

In their intiital disucssion with CCCS an IVA was mentioned but CCCS said they would charge them £6000 which they would have to add to their mortgage at the end of the IVA.

We contacted CCCS a year ago and they advised us to write to our creditors and offer them £1 per month. They did not mention an IVA.

I used their online calculator a month ago and it said our only option was bankruptcy - no mention of an IVA. Several other websites came up with IVA as our first option, which is what we are pursuing further at the moment althouh we still have some questions (see other thread).
"It's better to be in control on a small budget than to be out of control on a large budget."

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:06 pm
Are cccs starting to get into a habit of suggesting long term DMP's when clearly IVA's or BR are often more suitable??

This reason alone backs up the thinking that you should always approach at least 3 insolvency firms to get free advice.
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:01 pm
Definitely speak to a couple of IP's before deciding which one to go with, the advice is free and you can then see who you would be happy with.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:29 am
This is a sorry tale about the quality of advice provided by CCCS. I wish they would join the forum, if only to defend themselves against the general flak that is conveyed.

I know their IP and she is a quality professional, so they ought to be plugging IVAs a lot more than they seem to do.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:43 am
I also know their IP who also sits on the IVA Standing Committee (PCIVA.

I mentioned to the previous representative who now works elsewhere that there Algorithm needs looking into as it appears that it favours DMP's when an IVA is patently clear to be the appropriate solution.

I wonder if this is because they are paid fees by the banks on payments made on behalf of their clients in DMP's by CCCS?
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:14 am
You are getting very cynical David. Shame on you!!!!!!!!!!

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:37 am
I am glad you put !!!!! at the end.
x
37 posts Page 1 of 3
Return to “keeping in touch”