I just don't know what to do.

42 posts Page 3 of 3

lily

Post by lily » Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:37 pm
Hi

I have just re read my post and it sounds scary, I just forgot to add that many on here have gone br and it was not as bad and they were treated with dignity throughout. Just trying to empathise with the fear you might be fealing and the unknown, etc.

sorry if I scared anyone, it realy was the last thing I was trying to do. That'll teach me to try and do five things at once, eh???+

lily
lily

douglass

Post by douglass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:09 pm
You guys - thank you so much. You have all shown such kindness. And Melanie - you sound very busy! Brassic - if you don't mind me asking, did you go via an IP, or did you go through the BR process by yourself? I am trying so hard to put the past behind me, and I truly believe that once I have these debts sorted out, I can move on, and maybe look to the future - something I have't done for a good while. Again, thanks for all the advice - keep it coming! D.

BrassicLintus

Post by BrassicLintus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:44 pm
Hi Douglass, I sought advice on an IVA with Melanie, and she outlined all my options including Bankruptcy. My main reason for not wanting to go BR was only the fact that it would be published in the local newspaper and having my parents find out (they live abroad and mum's not in the best of health) but it's been a week after it was printed and no-one has said anything and I've had no frantic calls from the parents - so far so good! After my meeting with Melanie I went through everything and as Melanie had pointed out at my meeting my I&E in the IVA was very low - I had tried to make my figures low so that I could afford the IVA payment, I hadn't included anything for travelling to see my parents - so basically it was unrealistic in that I wouldn't be able to see my parents for 5 years!! So after much soul searching (and advice on here) I decided to go BR. I filled out the forms online which took me about 2 weeks as i had to gather all the information they wanted. If you are going to go BR the form asks for dates that you took credit out - I didn't have a clue - so as Skippy suggested I requested a credit report which lists creditors, amounts and dates when you took out the card - so that will help. And if you are going to go BR and have trouble filling in the forms - don't worry - just post questions on here!!! I asked dozens of questions and I still made mistakes on my form (for starters I forgot to put my middle name on it!)- but on the day the clerk went over it with me. Don't get me wrong - bankruptcy is not an easy way out - but at the end of the day, for whatever reason, you can't afford to carry on as you are. I know you are bound to be scared, stressed and worried - I nearly legged it out of the court on my BR date!!!! But going BR will give you the opportunity to sort out your finances, and start afresh. I've been BR for 2 weeks and 2 days now and it still doesn't seem real! I'm actually enjoying working to a budget though and after many years I feel that I'm finally in control again and the dark cloud is finally starting to lift!!!

BrassicLintus

Post by BrassicLintus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:49 pm
Regarding a job offer Melanie - it'd have to be part-time and I'd have to be able to work from home (don't think they'd let me use my laptop or phone whilst driving my train!!!!) [:D]

douglass

Post by douglass » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:06 pm
Brassic - thanks very much. I had a look at the forms today on the website - nothing too bad there (!?) How can I get in touch with Melanie - do I just phone the number on her website? (Or if you are reading Melanie, apologies - your website!!). Thanks guys & gals. D.

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:11 pm
Oh, Brassic, I know just what you meant about wanting to run from the court! The same thought popped into my head whilst I was sat waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am glad I did it, even though I am still bit worried about IPA, etc.

I do feel relieved and have to keep reminding myself not to stress anymore, I don’t need to ! I am still getting nasty letters from debt collectors, so I presume the OR has not been in touch with my creditors yet, but I just ignore them, they cannot hurt me now!!!!!!!!

katy

Post by katy » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:22 pm
Can only echo the postings here Douglas, just do what feels right for you and yours. Whatever route is right for you, you will get all the help and support you need on here. Good luck.

lily

Post by lily » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:23 pm
Douglas go the the website and someone will phone you back, its a bit late on a friday now though. Thats what I did. Good luck, I know its a daunting time for you but things can only get better from here.

Whatever road you take, it will lead you away from the debt stress.

good luck

lily
Last edited by lily on Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:41 pm
Douglass

If you contact me via the website, one of my Managers will be able to talk you through the bankruptcy process - which really is quite simple and the Insolvency Service website is extremely good.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

BrassicLintus

Post by BrassicLintus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:19 pm
Jane, your OR will be putting together a report for your creditors, so that's why you're still getting letters.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:53 pm
Douglass ... I work as Non-religious Funeral Minister ... money can be replaced ... people can't ... what I am trying to say is that at the end of the day IT'S ONLY MONEY. There's no problem that can't be sorted ... so good luck! [:)]

Debbie
Debbie

douglass

Post by douglass » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:51 pm
Hi people, thank you all so very very much - your kindness and compassion have been a huge help and relief to me. I have spent the weekend thinking, and I belive BR to be the best option for me, as I have no assets at all. I think I will start on the forms on the Insolvency Service website later,,,,,! I will keep you all up to date. Honestly, you have all been wonderful - this website is so great, and an absolute lifeline to people like us, in financial crisis! And thank you all the experts (special thanks to Melanie!). D.
42 posts Page 3 of 3
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”