I'm a self employed milkman

4 posts Page 1 of 1


User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Post by dave485 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:51 pm
Hi- I'm a self employed milkman, pay own taxes and NI, deliver 52 weeks a year but the dairy do not give me any time off holiday / sick leave. I have to find a relief driver and pay him myself. Is this correct?


User avatar
Posts: 33396
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am
Location: United Kingdom

Post by Foggy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:05 pm
Hi Dave -- employment law is beyond the remit of this forum.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014


Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Post by redboxtree » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:39 pm

Its as Foggy says in terms of the remit of the board but the critical factor is whether you are paid 52 weeks a year irrespective of whether you directly work or not or can provide a substitute/the contract expects you to provide a substitute.

Right of substitution is a key factor in determining whether someone is truly self employed and you may want to use the HMRC assessment tool to determine that.

The other factor is whether the hourly rate you are paid is significantly above minimum wage.

Lisa Thomas

User avatar
Industry Expert
Posts: 7759
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:26 am

Post by Lisa Thomas » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:17 am
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “self employed and company/business”