I'm about to be discharged

9 posts Page 1 of 1

clairew

Post by clairew » Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:44 am
Hi everyone

I am going to be discharged in a few weeks and I was just wondering if there is any steps I need to take or anything I need to do. My official receiver isnt particulary helpful and wont advise me about my post-bankruptcy situation so I thought I would call on the experts here. Obviously I know that it will be on my record for the next 6 years but is there anything I can do to help myself and my credit file?

Also does anyone have any idea how long I will have to wait before my bank (Nationwide) will give me a debit card? I hate having to carry cash around all the time so I would really like to have one of these again.

Thanks so very in advance

C x

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:41 pm
Hey Claire, congratulations, you must be over the moon! I can't answer your questions, sorry, but I'm sure someone who can will be along shortly. Good luck. Viki X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

stuffed

Post by stuffed » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:48 pm
Hi Clare,
How long did it take until you were discharged?
I would seriously love an early discharge!!
Stuffed

animaleyes76

Post by animaleyes76 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:49 pm
I had an early discharge, I was told to go to the clinic and get checked out ;o)

Couldn'tt resist sorry...
[:p]
Last edited by animaleyes76 on Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:53 pm
Hi Claire, there isn't a lot to do when you are discharged. I printed off the notice of discharge from the insolvency register and sent a copy to each of my creditors to ask them to amend the default dates on my accounts to the date of my BR and amend the status to either satisfied or partially satisfied.

Regarding your bank account, you may have a bit of a wait for a full debit card! I don't think Nationwide are offering account to anyone who has been bankrupt now, even when they are discharged, so I don't know if they will be happy to upgrade your account. I was told by Lloyds that I would have to wait 6 years for a full account with them, i.e. when the BR has dropped off my credit file!

clairew

Post by clairew » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 pm
Thanks Skippy for your help. I have already tried to get some of my default dates changed but some creditors are being really stubborn about it. I checked my credit score on experian this morning and it was very very poor. Infact I am surprised that I even had a score ;-)

I have had to wait the full 12 months for my automatic discharge - sorry guys, I was hoping for an early one too but it didnt happen. Having said that the 12 months have flown by, so dont worry your turn will come soon enough.

Skippy, someone told me that I needed to pay £60 for a discharge certificate, is this correct or can I just print one off the register like you did? Will that be sufficient for the CRAs etc?

Thanks again

C x

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:56 pm
Your creditors cannot default you later than your BR date, and if they refuse to amend the date you can report them to the Information Commissioner - have a look at the website, www.ico.gov.uk

I also had to do the full 12 months - like you I hoped for early discharge but never got it! I suppose 12 months isn't long for getting a fresh start is it?

If you want an official discharge certificate you will need to contact the court where you were made BR. There is a fee of £60. I printed the notice of discharge off the website and sent this to my creditors which they seem happy with, but when I applied for a savings account Sainsburys bank wanted the official certificate. I might apply for one, but I haven't got the money at the moment. It's ironic really - we haven't got any money but it costs nearly £500 to be made BR and another £60 to prove that you're discharged!

Loads

Post by Loads » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:44 am
Hi ClaireW

I'm afraid at the moment you are pretty stuffed for getting a new bank account as many banks will not be interested!! You can get a basic account from Barclays(if they wasn’t one of your creds)or you could try Thinkbanking who will give a current account to anyone, and with a debit card too, however there are drawbacks such as £25 setup fee and £12pm account management costs, but it depends on what you want. When you are an ex Bankrupt beggars can’t be choosers! Good look anyway, and I’m really chuffed about your discharge.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:01 am
You could also try the Co-op Cashminder account - it does have a debit card, although it's a Visa Electron. I've got that account and I can't fault it.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy”