I'm looking at an IVA

22 posts Page 1 of 2

booboo2

Post by booboo2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:29 pm
Hi,

I'm looking at an IVA (and can't believe I've got myself into this situation). I have a couple of questions and would really like some help if it turns out an IVA is best for me and people I owe...

- I have a huge amount of debt and have already remortgaged. Basically I have not defaulted on credit cards/loans or mortgage but I can see I have more going out than is coming in so its only going to be a couple of months before any spare credit I have is gone on petrol and bills etc. I know my credit rating is far from great but do I have to have actually missed payments before being considered for and IVA? Is the current and impending impossibility enough evidence things are very critical?

- I have a pony and 2 dogs and they obviously have costs invloved. I've just moved my pony to new stabling which is rent free (how lucky am I?!) so costs are considerably lower for him. One of my dogs though has to be on a special wheat free vet diet so not cheap doggy food. There is no way they'd make me sell/rehome my animals is there?! I just can't bear the thought and don't know what I'd do but that just isn't an option :( :(

- Do I have to get a brand new bank account? Is everything in and out monitored by external people who have legal access to view my details? I'm just wondering what level of intrusion (however deserved) goes on here...like what happens if I get a £30 birthday cheque or something?

- I have a part time business (beauty) and have accounts for this as I do my tax return. Its not a fixed amount each month so how on earth can and IVA be worked out on this basis? Ditto for my milage allowance I get paid for work...some months I do masses of miles, other times hardly any so some months I get a payment of a few quid, sometimes £500 or more. Again is there hope for an IVA with this set up?

- Just a general question about living with an IVA so all advice would be great...I know its my duty to pay my debt and manage my life, but would I be expected to never go out/have any spare money at all? Don't get my wrong like I said, its my tough luck for winding up like this and don't expect a free ride, but I'm just wondering if I can basically put any social life/breaks/treats on hold and be prepared for pretty much having nothing by western/usual/30 something girl standards?

- Finally, for now anyway :)...It might seem a bit "pie in the sky" but I'm a single gal and wondered if I do get a 5 year IVA and meet mr right, what happens regarding joint income? Does the IVA become his concern regarding his own finances? What if I give up work to raise a child? What if I sell my home to buy another together would any "profit" have to go to creditors instead of a new property? Is there any change of getting a mortgage together if I have an IVA?

I've searched he forums but just can't get answers to these q's so I hope you don't mind me posting.

aguise

Post by aguise » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:34 pm
Hi there booboo2 and welcome to the forum. The best thing to do is post more of your income and disposable income (what is left after normal living expenses) dont include any unsecured debt payments, but include your animal costs.Also do put any equity you may have in the house, and how much your total unsecured debt is and who to if poss. Wait for Melanie or one of the other technical experts to answer your questions, they will be along. I can try a little, birthday cheques and such like are gifts so are yours. An allowance is quite often allowed for animals. Lots have their own business and it is quite possible to do an iva. If you meet Mr right (which I hope you do) then you would have to have your Income and expenditure reassessed so that if living together then he would be paying his fair share towards bills.
Life in an iva, you can read my blog and some of the others. One of the most important things is to understand all the details and research well, choose a good IP, one of the best Melanie posts on the forum, initial advice is free so ring a few and see what they say. iva.com gives reviews on all the Ips. Make sure when you work out your income and expenditure you include living costs for everything right down to dental and prescriptions. if something is not allowed they will tell you or if it is too much or too little. getting this right is one of the most important parts of a successful iva, if your living budget is low then you will soon struggle.
Anyway thats just a bit from me, I am in an iva and coping well, a few hiccups but proud to say we are living without credit and loving every minute of it. All the best, there will be a solution just takes a bit of time to find it.

Ang

Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:51 pm
Hi there Booboo and welcome to the forum

OK - you have taken the first step in recognising that living on credit cannot last forever and that you need to make some readjustments to your financial budgeting. The first step is to list out all of your income and expenditure to see how much is left to offer to your creditors. Is there anyway that you could improve your income by working more hours, or taking on more clients in an attempt to pay your way out of this situation, or do you really feel that you need a more formal solution? If the latter then be aware there are three options for you as follows:-

Bankruptcy proceedings
Individual Voluntary Arrangement
Debt Management Programme

If you do not own any assets of material value, then bankruptcy proceedings are an option for you to follow, but make sure that this will not affect your ability to run your business. I see that you just work on a part-time basis - is this from home or mobile? If so, I cannot see that this would be affected under bankruptcy proceedings, although if you have surplus income you may well be required to make ongoing payments to your Trustee for a maximum three year period. Your animals are unlikely to be affected in either scenario, but do try and keep their upkeep costs as low as possible. How much equity do you presently have in your property, as this will vest in the Trustee and you will either have to find someone to acquire the equity or face seeing your property sold.

In an IVA you make an offer of ongoing payments to your creditors, and will have to face a further equity release during the final year, and to be frank the creditors who will review your proposals will be a lot harsher than the Official Receiver with regard to allowances. An IVA is designed to be flexible over the five year period, but you must enter into it with the belief that you will be able to honour regular payments to your creditors, and this could be difficult to do if you have an erratic income. Perhaps it is now time to find more permanent employment.

A DMP works along similar lines to an IVA, except you will carry on paying until the debts have been discharged in full, and there is no legal protection from the actions of creditors who are also entitled to still charge interest on their debts. As you say your debts are quite high, it is unlikely that this is a sensible solution for you.

In any of these procedures you will need to open a new bank account, if your current account is with a bank to whom you owe money.

As you appear to have lots of questions, and there are some complexities with your case, I strongly recommend that you seek direct advice from an insolvency practitioner as soon as you can. This will cost nothing and you can explore all of the options more fully - but do continue to seek help from the forum members as well.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

northumbrian69

Post by northumbrian69 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:00 pm
Hi booboo2 I was in exactly the same position as you this time last year, more going out than coming in, living on credit and generally spiralling deeper and deeper into debt.
I contacted CCCS and they advised me to go for an IVA, they put me in touch with a reputable Insolvency Practitioner and my IVA was approved in April.
My life has changed dramatically since then, for the first time in years I feel in control of my destiny, you have to be very strict with your spending and you can't be extravagent but what an IVA did for me was give me a chance to get back on my feet, I have a long way to go but at least I know if I keep making my regular monthly payments I will be free from debt, hopefully in year 4 when the equity release clause kicks in.
I would strongly advise you to seek expert advice, there are a number of experts on this forum who give excellent advice, contact one of them and I'm sure they will be able to help you.
This forum has helped me time and time again over the lat year, no matter what problem you have someone will have an answer.
You have made the first big step realising and admitting you have a problem, get expert advice as soon as possible, GOOD LUCK [:)][:)][:)]
IVA COMPLETED ON THE 17th MARCH, FINAL I&E COMPLETED 26th APRIL, COMPLETION CERTIFICATE ARRIVED 2nd AUGUST

booboo2

Post by booboo2 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:00 pm
Wow guys - thank you! I can't believe how supportive and helpful everyone on this forum is :)

I'm going to re-read all your replies carefully and post again but for now I just wanted to add that maybe I wasn't clear in my 1st post. I have i'm in full time, permanant contact employment AND also run a part time business from home, thats the beauty one.

Just wanted to add that - and to say thanks again!

Skipper

Post by Skipper » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:38 pm
Everything seem to be covered by the experts above....what I will say is in any of the above payment arrangement(s) you must make sure there is enough to live on before you are either discharged from BR' or complete a 5 year IVA. This is such a sticking point that can decide success or failure in completing the scheme and
be debt free.

One has to live during these debt relief schemes and no fun watching others spent loads when one is on a budget.

In terms of time BR is a quickie way out..and many here BR seem to be OK about it in terms of living under that order. One seems to get more to live on and creditors can't tell you huch much is allowed and it is upto a guy call Official reciever who decides and there is even a holiday allowance...now thats interesting!

BR isn't as scarey as it sounds really unless you have employment or assets to protect.

"Always think outside the box"
"Always think outside the box"

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:42 pm
Hi Booboo
Post more details when you can.
There are many people on this forum,including myself,that have been through an IVA and can help,support and advise you on your journey.
An IVA is tough,very tough but gives you an opportunity for a fresh start.
If you go down this route make sure that your expenditure is accurate,otherwise you will find life within an IVA unbearable.Also make sure that you understand any equity release clause,if applicable, before accepting your proposal.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson and Website Manager

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:59 pm
Hi booboo

Just wanted to say 'good luck' in finding a solution to your debt problems ... for there always is one [:)]

Make sure that you keep in touch with the Forum as your journey unfolds as you are very much amongst friends and like-minded souls here :)

Debbie

www.familyceremonies.co.uk

www.soulgrowth.co.uk
Debbie

booboo2

Post by booboo2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:00 am
Hello again - I'm reading all those blogs and links so thanks again everyone.

I've done some maths and can't believe how long I've been relying on my 'good' credit to pay for bills!

I have a mortgage for about £130K (I need to double check on last statement) and my house value is about £140K I reckon, but who knows?!?

I have 5 credit cards, an overdraft and 3 loans (unsecured). Like I said, no late payments but its only time, weeks probably and I feel like I'm sinking fast!! I have to double check the amount owed on cards and settlements on loans (I don't have statements right here) but paying the monthly min payments/repayment direct debits I pay about £1018 per month!!

I've worked out monthly bills inc all the usual gas/tv/mortgage etc doggy and pony costs, routine repairs for the house, dental checks, car tax and repairs and any thing else I can think of and reckon I need £1539 per month as a budget.

My income from my full time employment and working out an average on my part time work and milage paid by work gives me £1895 per month - a shortfall of some £662 when my living budget and debt payment costs are totted up - and thats not allowing for any extras or actually pay back the debts on the cards.

I can't beleive I'm typing this all out. I'm scared and do feel alone on this. I've been burned twice by bad relationships which left me with a lot of debt due to one con-man situation and one other just big problem where I was the one bailing him out etc but DO NOT want to get into victim mode as it was me who made those choices and me who stuck my head in the sand and bought a pair of shoes or whatever to 'cheer myself up'.

I'm begining to face the reasons by I've overspent and can see its a cycle that goes back 10 years or more but roots probablymuch earlier. I'm looking at help with a 12 step programme or something and off to search the net to see whats out there. If anyone knows of anything that may help on this front then please PM me if you are happy to share.

You guys have been great and if any of the costs I've posted help in assessing the actual and current situation then please do post.

Thanks again :)

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:29 am
Booboo - How much do you actually owe to your creditors?

booboo2

Post by booboo2 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:01 am
Hi Melanie,

Like I said I don't have statements or settlement figures here. Just working it out from my guesses I reckon about £32K inc overdraft, cards, loans etc, but could be maybe £5K less or more I think. Thats a terrible amount and terrible that I don't know what I owe without checking it all out.

I'm on to this and can post exactly when I get my statements (in file in the office).

Thanks

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:34 am
Hey - stop beating yourself up about this. It is not that bad, and you have taken the biggest step in the journey by admitting you have a problem.

Given the information you have provided, I feel that an IVA would work for you, and as you are a property owner I assume you do not wish to consider bankruptcy proceedings? It is now time to seek professional assistance from an insolvency practitioner directly who will be able to spend time with you exploring the extent of your financial difficulties, and can suggest a number of solutions for you.

wen

Post by wen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:37 am
booboo, there are many people who owe ALOT more than £32k (me included!!)

And I am sure there are very few people who could tell you the exact amount of debt owed either without sitting there with a calculator and a migraine!!

So as Melanie says... don't beat yourself up... you are being responsible by taking steps to rectify your circumstances!

P.S. Melanie, I thought I was the only late-bird on here!
Please visit my blog http://adam.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:26 am
As Melanie says Booboo, please stop beating yourself up. I don't know how old you are, but by the time I went into my IVA when I was 31 I had managed to accumulate £65k of debt with nothing to show for it apart from my car, which is a Vauxhall Corsa, so it's not even as if it was a flash car!

I thought I owed about £40k, so when I sat down and added it all up I was a bit shocked to say the least. I went through the stage of beating myself up about it, but I know now that there's no point. What's done is done, and while I'm not proud of it I can't go back and change anything.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

wen

Post by wen » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:28 am
booboo, may I recommend you go to Melanies website (the link is at the bottom of her posts), fill out the questions, and one of her wonderful staff will call you back to arrange a time to go through everything and discuss the best option for you (FOR FREE!)

Her staff are brilliant and whatever the outcome, you will feel a million miles better and positive about your future.

I think that dealing with debt can be the making of many people, and you will come to experience and appreciate the real joys of life, and having all that credit and money really is not the be all and end all.

Also booboo, with my business failing, my husband and I have racked up probably about £150,000 between us in debt, so compare that to your £32,000!! [:0]
Last edited by wen on Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog http://adam.blogs.iva.co.uk/
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “the hot hot IVA topics in 2007, 20 replies plus”