Improving one's metabolism

29 posts Page 1 of 2

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:32 pm
Right that's it! I really need to lose a stone ... preferably by Sept so that the new dress I have for my friend's son's wedding fits me better. Trouble is I eat next to nothing ... and mainly Atkinsy type diet of high protein and my diet almost devoid of any carbohydrate because I feel so much better and have more energy on this kind of food.

The trouble is my metabolism has kind of slowed down now ... i can't really cut down on any more ... and my weight is staying quite static ... so does anyone have any tips to getting my metabolism kick started again?

Debbie
Debbie

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:34 pm
Can you run or jog Debbie? Best form of exercise and a great metabolism booster and fat burner. Wish I could practice what I preach, as I have not been for a run for over a month!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

aguise

Post by aguise » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:32 am
As melanie said Debbie, but i ca nt run so I walk, speed up here and there.Youe speed should be to be slightly breathless but not enough that you cant talk. Also eat little and often. So far I only manage the often lol.
I was doing great with my diet but slipped and cant motivate myself again now.
Good luck we will have a natter next week.

ang xx
Please visit my blog at http://aguise.blogs.iva.co.uk/

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:35 am
3 meals a day, DEFINATELY breakfast, small lunch and small evening meal, snack on fruit rather than refined carbs and drink plenty of water. To break down fat the body needs water, it's to do with the chemical reaction. Without water the reaction cannot happen so you need water. Believe me it really does works, I lost 5 and a half pounds one week!!
It's nice to be back......

pixie

Post by pixie » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:04 am
if only chris!! I drink nothing but water and plenty of it!! It could have something to do with too many calories though........[:I]
The diet's not going so well at the moment, the plot has been lost!!!!! Feel free to tell me off next week [:I]
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:09 am
I must admit I wish I could lose that every week and it was only the once!!! lol.
I find if I've had a bad week(eating wise) I try really hard and lose a pound or two, then I reward myself the week after with fattening treats and I put most if not all of it back on!!! Oh, the joys of watching your weight......

Beans on Toast

Post by Beans on Toast » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:50 pm
Try to eat every three hours, not a big meal oviously, but apparently, little and often is the way to keep your metabolism balanced. If not have three large curries, this will get your whole body moving!!!! [;)]
IVA completed April 2013

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Sat Jul 05, 2008 1:52 pm
Run to the chinese takeaway,cycle to the indian restaurant and row to the pub,if you live near a river!!!

Walk to a lamp post then jog to the next,then walk to the next,then run to the next then walk one,jog one,walk one run one. Obviously this is suited to areas where the lamp posts arent 2 miles apart!!
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:11 pm
On Ang and Melanie's advice I ran up and down the stairs 4 times this morning!! Gosh was I puffed out!! Is this suitable aerobic exercise do you think?

Another question, I have been feeling incredibly tired of late ... a little to do with over work perhaps ... but that feeling of having had a good few nights sleep and it not making any difference. I very rarely drink coffee and the tea I drink mostly is earl gray so it's quite light ... this week I had two cups of coffee two days running and felt an instant 'kick' which made me realise just how asleep I've been feeling ... for most of the day [:(]

My daughter suggested I got some caffeine tablets, which I did from Asda's yesterday and it seems to help ... any thoughts or advise on this from anyone in the know?

Debbie
Debbie

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:40 pm
caffeines not really a good remedy for your tiredness Debbie. It can make you jittery and unsettle. Maybe try a bit of exercise. I know I haven't been able to get to the gym lately and I could fall asleep on a clothes line!!! It sounds strange but regular exercise does give you more energy.

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:39 pm
So exercise is still the key! [;)]

Debbie
Debbie

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:53 pm
Unfortunately, yes, but it does make you feel better, releases endomorphines(happy hormones) and relaxes the body and enables healthy sleep......I sound like a medical person, don't I?? lol

Martin2011

Post by Martin2011 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:02 am
Hey Soulgrowth, totali empathise as am currently doing the atkinsy low carb diet approach...started off really well and have actually shifted over 2 stone in just over 7 weeks, but now it's all slowed down and I just have to look at a carbohydrate for weight to creep up a pound again..... exercise is definitely the key, but just wanted to say that advice is def not to run up and down the stairs as it's the most common cause of significant household injury - just use the bottom stair to do repeated fast steps - burns the same amount of energy and is less far to fall as your muscles tire.

Can confirm that swimming doesn't help weight loss (according to physiologists, but does help tone and shape which is helpful...

Best of luck and worry not, your son and his wife to be will just want you there and without a doubt you will look fab....(so long as you aren't on crutches having broken a leg fallin down the stairs!! )

Martin

chris.g

Post by chris.g » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:05 am
I went on the Atkins when it was very fashionable to do it and was AMAZED that I could eat a block of cheddar and lose 5lb's but it worked. I lost nearly 3 stone in around 5mths, went on holdiay for 2 weeks, ate carbs while I was there and came back almost 2 sizes bigger!!! Nightmare!!!
Daughter's boyfriend was talking to hubby last night and he said that exercise is the key and unfortunately for all of us who don't particularly like running and sweating buckets, it's the only way......

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:13 pm
Hi Martin

Thanks for the advice about the step ... I have to admit that it did seem rather dangerous running up and down the stairs [:D] If I have carbs in my diet now I feel really awful ... and any kind of bread just makes me feel like a balloon for a few hours and irritates my asthma.

Debbie
Debbie
29 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “weight watchers club”