in dmp but really wanted to apply for an IVA

10 posts Page 1 of 1

sonia_k

Post by sonia_k » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:40 pm
I am in a debt management program but really wanted to apply for an IVA. I have a total debt of over £40k and can only afford to pay about 200 a month. The co i am dealing with said that as £14k of my total debt is owed to Northern Rock I cannot apply for an IVA. However have Northern Rock's position on accepting IVAs changed? Without an IVA I don't see how I'm going to pay off my total debt. Any advise much appreciated.

debbiw

Post by debbiw » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:04 pm
Hi Sonia, I think you should speak to an IP, who will advise you if an IVA is the correct route for you. Melanie Giles and Ian Millington who post on this forum come highly recommended.

ladyc

Post by ladyc » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:05 pm
I'm sure one of the experts will be on to advise you any moment now.
I can only suggest that you contact another company for advice.
You won't go far wrong if you contact on of the experts on here. Melanie Giles has tremendous feedback.
c m clark

sonia_k

Post by sonia_k » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:07 pm
Thanks for your replies! [:)]

I'm new to this forum so would you be able to tell me how i can contact Melanie Giles?

Thanks!

iva.com

Post by iva.com » Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:38 pm
Hi Sonia,

It is possible to have an IVA approved when a large portion of your debts are with NR. However, they have rejected a large number of applications in the past.

I'm sure that Melanie will be on here soon. Failing that her previous posts will show how you can reach her.

Kind regards,
Terry Balfour
IVA.com
IVA.com - The IVA Comparison Site
100s of reviews, All IPs and IVA firms rated.

Use our IVA firm comparison tool to find best IVA firm for you:
http://www.iva.com/iva_comparison_1.asp

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:29 pm
NR have historically been reluctant to accept IVA's but I have certainly noticed a softening recently.

To give you an example, I have recently successfully proposed an IVA proposal for a client with total debts of £45k, £35k of which were to NR so it is possible. I suggest you go to www.iva.com and have a look round, make sure to speak to 2 or 3 different people to get a balanced view and then make your own mind up from there.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

kal

Post by kal » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:54 pm
I have just had my IVA accepted and NR were one of my main creditors - I also have a mortgage with them, and they accepted and have been really helpful.
k.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:44 pm
Hi Sonia

The majority of the cases I put before Northern Rock are actually approved, but it does depend upon circumstances. Your ability to fund an IVA at only £200 is rather low, and will not produce a very good dividend for creditors. If you have no assets of material value, have you also considered whether bankruptcy proceedings would be more appropriate?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

sonia_k

Post by sonia_k » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:57 am
Thanks for all your advise.

I have considered bankruptcy but now sure of whats involved. I had a joint property and recently changed it into my dad's name as I couldn't even afford the ground rent and maintenance charges! Would this be questions? There is no equity in the property but as i couldn't afford to keep it and selling it would incur penalties and costs not to mention no equity i chose to transfer it.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:11 am
So long as the asset had no value at the time of transfer, this should not cause you any problems Sonia.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
10 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for march”