increase in optical allowance

22 posts Page 1 of 2

Kitney

Post by Kitney » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:23 pm
My glasses are driving me mad! My lenses keep getting 'mucky' in the middle and restricting my view literally constantly. I have been back to the opticians because I never had this problem before and can you believe it - my eyelashes are too long - well actually it's my lenses that are now to thick (got a higher level prescription now that makes the lenses thicker). I even went to a different optician for a second opinion and was told the same.

The only way to correct this is to pay extra and buy 'thinner' lenses the next time I need them - but these come at a price - up to £150 more than normal lenses (shopped around at my four local opticians). The thing is I had to pay for part of my existing glasses through miscellaneous funds cos the budget wasn't enough even for a very reasonably priced pair of glasses.

So my question is, when I am next due my review - can I ask for this to be taken in to account (I could even show them cost comparisons!) and increase my medical/dental/optical bill (though we could be talking double - from £24 to £48 for 2 people). An alternative is to increase my subscription level to HSA - which would give me higher level cover for everything medical/dental/optical etc not just glasses, but even then it may not be enough!

Thanks, Kitney

Cybus

Post by Cybus » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:14 pm
Built in to your income and expenditure, there should be some sort of contingency allowance.
There should be enough within the contingency to be able to afford the thinner lenses without affecting your IVA contributions.
I am very surprised that you have been allowed to continue a HSA subscription by your creditors, unless there are circumstances which permit.
You can only see what your IP says when you ask the question.

Tell it like it is.
Tell it like it is.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:59 pm
I can sympathise Kitney - I wear glasses and they are so expensive. Luckily I haven't got to the stage yet where the lenses HAVE to be made thinner, but if I could have afforded it I would have done and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have to do it! I would try to get your medical/dental/optical allowance increased at your next review - your IP can only say no. Good luck!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:06 pm
Hi Cybus
I have to smile at your post alluding to the contingency allowance being sufficient to cover the cost of new glasses.
As I have posted before, it is certainly going to have to be a very elastic £50 to cover all those extras.
I think most of us could reliably budget if we only have to pay for the expected costs each month; it is the unexpected which are likely to cause the problem.
And with housekeeping budget already stretching to cover kids' birthday & Christmas presents (x 3), hairdressers, stamps, any family birthday presents, and topping up dry cleaning, clothes & shoes allowances (I spent £92 on school shoes today, last lot lasted four months)I wonder how feasible it is to rely on this contingency for these expenses.
Blue
Last edited by BlueShoes on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:15 pm
I agree with you Blueshoes. With the way prices are increasing all the time £50 isn't going to go far. Mind you, I didn't have a contingency fund in my IVA at all, which caused me a few problems.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:24 pm
Hi Skippy
Nor did I !!!
My contingency plan was to ask my father in law for help[cash]
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:33 pm
And we sadly don't have a rich father-in-law! (A rich anyone come to that!)_
Blue

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:34 pm
I had banks of Mum and Dave for the few months I was in my IVA! I still have bank of Mum after my car needed £500+ worth of work done to it 2 weeks after my BR hearing. I did remind her I was BR though as I was borrowing more than £500!

thebear29uk

Post by thebear29uk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 pm
Hi Kitney

As an optician I may be able to offer you some alternatives to the expensive lenses.

Firstly I'm assuming you have a plus prescription which is thickest at the centre and thin at the edges. If so you could go to one of the "glasses in an hour" places. They have all the lab equipment on site and can therefore "surface" ( a procedure for grinding the lenses ) some standard lenses thinner than standard stock lenses. This is something they do for children's glasses on a regular basis. It won't be as thin as the more expensive ones but will be better than standard.

Also you should choose a frame with adjustable nose-pads and make sure they adjust them so that your lashes don't touch the lenses.

Obviously I don't know what your prescription is but hope this might be of some assistance. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Regards

Dave
Regards

Dave

View my blog at www.thebear29uk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

lily

Post by lily » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:02 pm
Hi bear

I where contact lenses but when I changed banks I forgot to renew it and its been months. Then I noticed how much cheaper they are at tesco's. Would you advise this or go crawling back to my option? I change them once a week and have built up a reserve but I will run out, I have worn them for 16 years and couldnt go back to glasses now. I realise that I need and opthal (cannot spell it) for check ups and I have my prescription. Can I just buy these online from Tesco's??

lily
lily

Kiska

Post by Kiska » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:43 pm
specksavers are brilliant, the service is fab. i pay £15 a month no problems so far.

thebear29uk

Post by thebear29uk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:52 am
hi Lily

Depends really on the prices. You will need a new lens prescription every 12 months and, depending on your eyes, an eye exam every 12 or 24 months. Work out the difference in price from tescos to your current optician. What you have to remember is if you dont buy from your optician and you get a problem, they may charge you for every appointment to solve the problem. Also, on direct debit schemes you can get lost/damaged replacements free of charge, free check-ups as required, cleaning solutions included.

If the difference in price at tescos is significant it might be worthwhile but as Kiska says, there are monthly deals out there from £10 per month and no added costs which when in an IVA/DMP might be easier to budget for.

Regards

Dave
Regards

Dave

View my blog at www.thebear29uk.blogs.iva.co.uk/

lily

Post by lily » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:37 am
Thanks for that, I will sign up with a new option in my area, it seems like the better option. I was with my old one for years but he really doesnt speak too much, man of very few words and quite a scary stare, a bit like a cross Simon Cowell, Well I am sure you get the picture. Anyway I dont think I could explain about the change of banks and the DD not getting paid, a bit too scared. I dont owe him anything though. I am a simple case of plus vision and acuvue weekly disposables.

I didnt have you pegged as an optician.

Thanks Dave

lily
lily

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:19 am
I get my monthly disposable contact lenses from Specsavers for £10 per month including solutions and they are the most comforatble ones I have ever worn. Any contact lens checks are included in that as well, and you get money off if you need a pair of glasses.

Kitney

Post by Kitney » Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:46 am
Hello and thanks for your comments - especially Dave. I will go and investigate a few places, the only problem is the only Opticians in our City that does one hr lenses is the one that cost three times as much for the frames so I disregarded them - but I will look into it further.

I also was surprised about Cybus' comments. Firstly there is definetley not enough in my contingency budget for this - because I don't have one (stupid I know but there you go)! Secondly, I regard my HSA subscription as an essential outgoing that I couldn't do without. I come from a large family and we have always registered to these types of health companies since I was a kid, because for me they work out better than going out and paying for your medical/dental/optical bills separately.

Thanks, Kitney
22 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA expenditure allowances”