increase in optical allowance

22 posts Page 2 of 2

Angelus

Post by Angelus » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:21 pm
Kitney wrote:

My glasses are driving me mad! My lenses keep getting 'mucky' in the middle and restricting my view literally constantly. I have been back to the opticians because I never had this problem before and can you believe it - my eyelashes are too long - well actually it's my lenses that are now to thick (got a higher level prescription now that makes the lenses thicker). I even went to a different optician for a second opinion and was told the same.

The only way to correct this is to pay extra and buy 'thinner' lenses the next time I need them - but these come at a price - up to £150 more than normal lenses (shopped around at my four local opticians). The thing is I had to pay for part of my existing glasses through miscellaneous funds cos the budget wasn't enough even for a very reasonably priced pair of glasses.

So my question is, when I am next due my review - can I ask for this to be taken in to account (I could even show them cost comparisons!) and increase my medical/dental/optical bill (though we could be talking double - from £24 to £48 for 2 people). An alternative is to increase my subscription level to HSA - which would give me higher level cover for everything medical/dental/optical etc not just glasses, but even then it may not be enough!

Thanks, Kitney
Hi there, this is bull****!! Pardon my French. I worked in an Opticians for 10 years. Go back there and tell them you want the Back Vertex Distance (BVD) altered to accomoddate your problem. True you might need thinner lenses, but moving the lenses a few mm's away from from face should sort it out.

Your eyelashes are coated in a waxy residue to stop dust getting in your eyes which is what is giving you the grief, overtime though, your eyelashes would eventually scratch the lenses right where you look through them.

If you've never had this problem before, the chances are someone just wants you to part with some more cash (which is something no-one on this forum has). I hated people overselling and screwing people over when I worked for a well known chain of Opticians, it gives the profession a bad name and to be perfectly frank, these dispensers don't care about your Optical health or their standard of work. I would find someone who cares about the art of dispensing and takes some pride in thier work.

Sorry, stepping down off the soap box.

Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:17 pm
Hello All,

I have just started my IVA after a 9 month battle to get it.

I am with Payplan and as I have a little second job on the check outs at Asda.

I asked a similar question as just needed to fork out £192 for new car tyres which my aunt lent me the money for and I pay her back as I get it by doing overtime at Asda when it is available.

As I first thought they would want to give my creditors half of what I earned as overtime. But only after what is deemed emergency out goings such as tyres, glasses, vet bills etc etc

So in theory you should be able to off set this amount if you are able to get some overtime.

If this is not an option for you as you can't get any overtime or take on a second job then you will have to request to miss a payment so as to pay for this necessity as it is not a frivolity.

Good luck
Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07

What ever deceision and choices we have ever made, are the ONLY and BEST decisions and choices we can make at THAT time with all the info we have to hand at THAT PRECISE moment in time - so no regrets!!

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:42 pm
Hi there

Do you not have a car maintenance allowance built into your IVA which you should be saving to pay for car repairs? This is standard in most proposals these days?

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Helper and Seeker

Post by Helper and Seeker » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:20 pm
Hi Melanie and All,

I am only onto my second IVA payment so like many people in this situation I guess we have not accrued enough savings for emergencies like 4 new tyres. Plus the allowance in the agreement in most peoples cases such as the Ops also is that it is not high enough to meet the emergency at hand.

At the end of the day necessities and emergencies have to be covered otherwise we would all falter on paying our IVA payments so at the time of review the reviewer has to be realistic.

The Op needs glasses so I am sure they would up his optical allowance to cover that - I Hope!!
Just started my IVA as from 12.10.07

What ever deceision and choices we have ever made, are the ONLY and BEST decisions and choices we can make at THAT time with all the info we have to hand at THAT PRECISE moment in time - so no regrets!!

pixie

Post by pixie » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:56 pm
Hi
I've always worn glasses and got my first pair of ultralight frames and thin lenses 18 mnths ago. They cost a small fortune but they are definatly worth it. I wouldn't go back to the heavier ones now.
The allowance isn't enough to cover a standard pair never mind these but I'll have to find the money and budget for them.
I do think that the normal allowance everyone is given is a little unfair though. Those that need glasses/contacts or regular prescriptions should be allowed more than those that don't.

Pixie
Pixie
'Welcome to where ever you are, this is your life you've made it this far, welcome, you've got to believe right here right now is exactly where you're meant to be'
IVA started may 07 ended dec 08

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:37 pm
You are absolutely correct. Expenditure should be based upon an individual's specific circumstances, and not CCCS or anyone elses guidelines, but sadly the lending industry does not agree with me!

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

To have me propose an IVA for you, please visit:
http://www.melaniegiles.com/ivaEnquiry.asp

See customer feedback at:
http://www.iva.com/iva_companies/IVA_Advice_Bureau.asp
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:30 am
I've just completed my IPOQ to return to the OR and I've had to increase my optical allowance from £10 to £25, which only covers my contact lenses. It'll be interesting to see if they allow it!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/
22 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “IVA expenditure allowances”