Inheritance

6 posts Page 1 of 1

surfingruthie53

Post by surfingruthie53 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:09 pm
Is there public records that an IP can check to see if I'm a beneficiary to an inheritance?

surfingruthie53

Post by surfingruthie53 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:15 pm
Also...when I do receive my inheritance...I know Ebengate will claim it all but I don't trust them and I don't want to hand over 10k without a letter of recognition from them....not sure how it all works. Plus an amount like that will help pay off about 10 % of my debt but I'm just loathed to hand it over and then not get any correspondence from Ebengate because they're rubbish tbf.

surfingruthie53

Post by surfingruthie53 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:15 am
It's on a probate register so I've answered my own question. It'll be 20%of my debt not 10%

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:16 am
These things do have a way of coming out of the woodwork and, unless you are Prince Phillip, as you have discovered, Wills and Probate are a matter of public record. Though I doubt IP's regularly trawl for inheritances. However the executors or administrators of the deceased estate are duty bound to check for insolvency before passing a bequest over.

As for accounting for the monies, you could email Ebenegate, officially informing them of the bequest and asking them what their procedure is --- this would start a 'paper trail', firstly acknowledging existence of the inheritance and Ebenegate's knowledge of it. After that you, or the executors will have bank statements confirming the transfer to the account specified by Ebenegate.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

surfingruthie53

Post by surfingruthie53 » Sat Sep 18, 2021 9:54 am
That's me telling my brother then coz he's the executer of my Aunts will. I didn't want to do that :( if the executer has to check for insolvencies...my name will crop up.
Please can I ask another question Foggy ....I have a Christmas savings plan with a credit union...and in November,I get £450 that I've saved up. Have I sold my soul to the devil,and do I have to forefoot that as well. I'm feeling quite dejected this morning realising how non of my savings,inheritance or any extra money is mine anymore :(

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:52 pm
Executors should check for insolvency -- I am guessing that many don't -- other than the professionals.

Modest savings are allowed in an IVA, as long as they are funded from your agreed allowances and are, as I say, modest (the definition of 'modest' is variable), but a Christmas Saver should be OK and not worth mentioning. It is financially good sense to save for things, so should be encouraged. Only if you were putting away a substantial amount would it be questioned and your I&E recalculated.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “annual review”