Insurances

19 posts Page 2 of 2

CoverItAll

Post by CoverItAll » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:46 am
We are hearing very frequently now of claims on Critical illness policies being turned down because of what the Insurer perceives to be non-disclosure, whilst the majority of the public believe to be irrelevant to the risk insured.

Let me share a personal experience. I applied for and was accepted for a household insurance. When I insisted that my Insurance Broker disclose to the insurer that I had been made bankrupt seven years earlier, and therefore discharged five years earlier, my cover was immediately withdrawn. I switched to another insurer who paid a claim of £1,500 seven months later.

If I had not insisted on this disclosure I would have been happily getting on with my life, thinking that I was insured, so any claim would be paid, whereas in fact this was not true.

In the past I have also been involved in the settlement of claims. When claims are refused, in the overwhelming majority of cases it is for non-disclosure. 1

My advice is to make a full disclosure in writing. Ask for written confirmation that you have done so.

If the insurance is not affected by the disclosure, this has cost you only the price of a stamp. If the insurance is cancelled you will have time to insure elsewhere and your premium will be refunded.

If you do not fully disclose all material facts you never know whether your insurance will be in force when it is needed. You risk refusal of a claim and retention of the premium paid or non- disclosure.

Please e-mail me if you would like a draft.wording of a letter you can send to your insurer dealing with this.

John Tegg
Accident and Sickness cover that pays for up to 60 months for Clients within IVA's.
Tel: 0845 673 9999
e-mail: quotemeplease@asu4iva.co.uk
www.asu4iva.co.uk
John Tegg
john.tegg@dms4asu.co.uk
http://www.paymentcover.co.uk
STANDARD TERMS for Forum Members for Home Insurance, Self Employed Tradesman's Public Liability, and Short Term Income Protection.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:28 am
Do I still need to disclose that I am bankrupt if I am paying my car insurance in full? I appreciate that I probably wouldn't be able to pay by DD, but surely if they have the money up front there isn't a problem, or am I looking too simply at things?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

ivoriva

Post by ivoriva » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:12 pm
I think the issue here is ways that the insurance company can get out of a claim, but it would probably depend on the terms and conditions that were signed. However, certainly in accident and sickness any material non disclosure even completely unrelated to the nature of the claim can result in non payment. So it would probably be wise to disclose this information to any insurers you have just to be sure. I dont think it will affect your premium cost in the case of car insurance, especially if you pay up front, as Im sure people with IVA's or bankruptcy are no worse than any other group of driver.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:31 pm
I agree that you should disclose your bankrupt or IVA status to all insurers as a precautionary measure, better safe than sorry.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver
19 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “IVA postbag for april”