Is an IVA an option for self employed individuals ?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

d385

Post by d385 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:13 pm
Hi i am considering that an iva may be the best option for me, but i am now self employed and so is my husband and i am a director on his business, is an iva possible?? We have not missed any debt payments but i have recently lost a very high paid job due to a shareholder dispute and it has got very nasty and i am now left earning a 1/4 of what i was but we lived to our means..... i am desperste for some help and what to do

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:42 am
An IVA is possible for the delf employed, but do make sure that you approach a provider with experience of self employment as many aspects have to be treated differently to the PAYE scenario and a lot more flexibility built in.
I would, again, suggest the smaller to medium firms, rather than the "IVA factories".
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

size5

Industry Expert

Post by size5 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 am
You will need a UTR, and either a full set of accounts or a self assessment. If this is not possible, for example if you have not yet been trading for a year or more, you will need to prove your income via other means, projection based on what has happened so far, or interim accounts. An IVA sounds perfectly feasible to me, if conditions are right, and will avoid any issues with your husband being a company director which would occur in Bankruptcy.

Regards.
Cert DR
23+ years in debt advice
I do not post for anyone other than myself

Follow my tweets at http://twitter.com/debtmastersize5

Michael Peoples

Industry Expert
Post by Michael Peoples » Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 am
You should also check the articles of association for any companies you are involved in as they may need amending. This is quite straightforward but very important so make sure your IP explains this top you.
Michael Peoples | McCambridge Duffy Insolvency Practitioners
http://www.mccambridgeduffy.com
If you would like to talk to me about proposing an IVA or have any questions at all please visit www.mccambridgeduffy.com
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”