Is it possible to go to University whilst BR?

19 posts Page 1 of 2

katy

Post by katy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:32 pm
After going BR last month, I have been seriously thinking about what to do with my life. My daughter is now at school and i'd really love to go back to University and finish my degree I gave up when I found out I was expecting my daughter. I have read that I can get grants and loans for whilst i'm there and can even get a student loan (to be paid back after I start earning £15,000 pa) whilst BR. I was just wondering if there are any other legalities anyone knew about that could prevent me going.

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Katy

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:10 pm
Uni is a great idea, but do you really want to rack up more debt after being BR? a lesson learned and all that?
lots of payments to go.

katy

Post by katy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:18 pm
I don't really but if I want to progress in my life i'll have to. Part of the problem with our debt was me having to stay at home to bring our daughter and with one very low wage coming in it was bound to happen as we were over spending. If and when I start earning over £15,000 it will be £7 a month and if we have that amount of money coming in for the first time ever, £7 is nothing and can even pay more back per month. Incidentally the tuition fees are £3000, so not a huge amount. After 25 years it is written off anyway.
I just really want to know if there is any legal reason why I can't go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:22 pm
I think it's a good idea Katy but I can see what Richard is saying about debts. I am hoping to do a course in Humanities at the Open University, possibly leading to a degree in either English or History. Although I am going to be borrowing the money from my mum to pay for the course I will be able to pay it back as I go along as I will still be working.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm
agreed about you wanting to move on.. i cant fault you for that

but serously, getting into debt (again) is not the way forward.

chances are being a mum you will get reduced fees and stuff.

it may only be 7 pound to start with, but as u earn more it will go up.
lots of payments to go.

katy

Post by katy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:25 pm
Oh don't get me wrong, the last thing I want to do is get into debt again. I class this as a different sort of debt though. And I will borrow off my mum if I have to. I can get a few of maintainence grants which don't need to be paid back as I have a child and i'm an older student so it's just the tuition fees i'd have to find.

Good luck with your course skippy

Thanks for the support

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:28 pm
Good luck to you as well Katy. What are you hoping to study?

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

katy

Post by katy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:32 pm
Thanks, i'm torn between History and Psychology with child studies at the moment. It won't be until next september, if at all, i'm just looking at my options at the moment. I'll try and sweet talk my mum :)

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 pm
The Certificate in Humanities that I want to do starts in February and I have to sign up by December so I've got to make a decision! My cousin has already done it and enjoyed it so that's what's inspiring me. She's going onto start her history degree next year but I prefer the sound of English.

R1chard

Post by R1chard » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:45 pm
i do hope you find a way to go to uni without racking up debt again!

good luck - luckily for me ive done all my qualifications whilst in my current emplyment, i did block release and my company payed me my monthly salary as normal.
lots of payments to go.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:56 pm
I looked into whether my company would pay for anything, but the company isn't doing very well at the moment so my OU fees are the least of their worries!

Spreadlove

Post by Spreadlove » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:31 pm
I would advise you contact the Open University. I have been studying a Psychology degree, part time for 6 years with them (one more year to go!!!!) you do get financial support for your fees if you are on a low income.You do not have to pay it back at the end of the course and includes books, CD and any residential courses you have to attend. It is hard work but at least you are not saddled with a debt at the end of the course. If you decide to go down the Open Uni route try and apply for the financial help at the same time you apply for the course. Speak to one of the advisors, they will transfer you to the Financial Support dept.The form is really simple, you need a P60, Month 12 or Week 52 payslip or prove you are receiving income support etc. Good Luck with your courses!!..Spreadlove sending love

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:36 pm
I've decided to put mine on hold for a year - I want to get myself back on my feet, and we are moving house shortly so I think it will be too much. I definitely want to do it, but not just yet.

I did ask about help with the payments, but I earn to much, and because I'm bankrupt I can't spread the cost!

ray_a

Post by ray_a » Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:30 pm
Going on about student debt for university but I might be wrong but you pay the loan back through your salary so is that not a bad thing?

I would have thought this form of debt is allowing you to rebuild one's life and not the same as borrowing on credit cards and loans!

Soulgrowth

Post by Soulgrowth » Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:21 pm
There's nothing at all wrong with seeking to improve oneself Katy so good for you. I would thoroughly recommend the Open University (mainly because they pay my salary - I lecture in Psychology!). BR would certainly not restrict you in any way from studying with them and you can work and gain experience alongside your studies.

Good luck

Debbie

www.babynamings.co.uk

www.soulgrowth.co.uk
Debbie
19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “postbag for october”