Is it worth it?

5 posts Page 1 of 1

Cris2

Post by Cris2 » Thu May 05, 2022 4:32 pm
Hi. I am about to enter an IVA. I have read lots but I wanted to ask still especially people who are already on it,

Given a chance or if you could turn back time now that you know how it’s like living on an IVA would you still sign up for it?

I have this anxiety that 5 years is so long. Is IVA really worth it? Thanks.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Thu May 05, 2022 4:53 pm
My IVA finished in 2013 and, should I find myself in a similar situation again, I would sign up for another. But ... everyone's situation is different. I was living pay cheque to pay cheque, with no spare cash at all. My IVA payment was £460 a month ----- far less than my debt repayments and everything else was budgeted for. My standard of living and mental health both improved dramatically. But, you do need to manage your expectations --- no elaborate holidays or present giving at Christmas ( let's face it --- they were probably popped onto the credit card anyway) and careful food shopping is key. Live with the IVA, not against it.

True, they do not suit everybody and all situations, so do consider the alternatives fully. You also need to be very happy with your choice of provider and bear in mind that your provider could change, which is beyond your control.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Cris2

Post by Cris2 » Thu May 05, 2022 5:19 pm
Thank you Foggy.
So reassuring. I hope this feeling of overwhelming will soon pass as I really feel uncomfortable of the whole process.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Fri May 06, 2022 12:29 am
Totally agree with foggy... Worth it albeit a very tightly managed period of time which we learnt hugely from.

In coming months I think alot of people are going to be seeking help - see an iva as a 5 year loan. Break it down into small increments and it quickly goes.

Ours finished in 2010 and since then we've got back on the property ladder and moved forward.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri May 06, 2022 7:28 am
I agree with Foggy and luluj - taking out an IVA was the best thing we ever did. I used to dread the postman coming and also the telephone calls. I went from taking cash on my credit card and going straight into the bank to make the minimum payment. We both felt a weight had been lifted from our shoulders. I also agree that care should be taken with your choice of provider - the smaller firms are sometimes the best ones to use.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “how are you coping?”