is there a list of 'maximum allowances'

9 posts Page 1 of 1

pikelander

Post by pikelander » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:25 am
We (me and my partner) are 3 years into a joint IVA which we have been told will be extended by 10 months to make up for underpayments for emergency car repairs and unearned wages due to sickness. During this 'variation' in payment request I have requested an amount for certain vitamin supplements as I have arthritus and take a drug that suppresses my immune system. I therefore take supplements for my joints and to support my immune system. The ip are refusing to allow this expenditure. Surely this can't be allowed when they are seriously putting my health at risk and my ability to continue to work regularly. They have quoted a 'maximum' allowance. is there a list of 'maximum allowances that I can get?

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:30 am
There really should be no such thing as a "maximim allowance" as an income and expenditure report should be a true reflection of your actual expenditure.

Also why was this budget for these vitamins agreed at the start of the IVA?!!!

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

pikelander

Post by pikelander » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:58 am
When we entered the agreement the amount for vitamins was limited to a couple of existing conditions. I had only just been diagnosed with a serious chronic illness and started treatment so I wasn't aware how expensive the supplements that I needed were going to be.

I requested a variaton two years ago but nothing ever happened even though I had reduced the payments.

Now at long last something is happening they are refusing to allow the expenditure as they say that the original expenditure is the 'maximum' allowable. They also say that I can only have a certain amount for food..............is this allowed as well?

Rgds

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:07 pm
IPs and creditors will use guidelines to determine if budget requests are reasonable but there is no maximum allowance.

A rule of thumb allowance for food and toiletries would be c£200 for the first person in the house plus £100 for every additional person.

How much are you asking for to be budgeted for the vitamins?!! Could this not come out of your current medical allowance?

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:46 pm
I do not agree with benchmarks - especially for important medication - and the ultimate judges are your creditors and not the IP. I would certainly be accepting this expenditure so long as it could be proven and justified - which it certainly seems to be from your post.

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:02 pm
Hi
At the worst ask your IP if you can reduce your payments by the monthly cost of the vitamins that you need and to tag an extra month or two onto the ten months that you have already.You need to safeguard your health.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

pikelander

Post by pikelander » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:45 pm
Gosh, Just re-read this post as I have not been on this site since I received the helpful feedback. So what happened? After much jumping up and down and screaming the IP agreed to put the request to creditors which was supported by some documentation from my pharmacist who yearly reviews all my medication and supplements. Thankfully the creditors agreed. We are now three months away from the end of our 6 years and we are very proud that we have, to the best of our ability, repaid as much of our debt as we could. Thanks for your support.

moneypenny

Post by moneypenny » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:06 pm
what a lovely result, its amazing how much you have to push to get the right balance. i'm glad your nearly finnished and good luck to your debt free future,
light at the end of the tunnel

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm
Great to have you back!!!

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.
9 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “IVA postbag for august”