It is very painless, the people there are lovely

19 posts Page 1 of 2

swardy73

Post by swardy73 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:30 pm
Hi there,

Just making sure i have everything in hand for my BR appointment this wednesday. Any advise, i.e. anything i need to know or i have forgotten would be much appreciated.

Things i have ready =

1/ £485

2/ On-line forms completed and printed (3 copies to be safe) - one question re these forms - Despite reading through my answers about 10 times before submitting and printing off, i then realised that i had made about 4 errors (ranging from somehow inputting my middle name as surname to inputting an incorrect amount on one of my I&E's!) I have had to manually correct these. I hope this is ok. Does anyone know if it's a problem that i've had to handwrite a couple of things?

I've read from a couple of people on the forum that the OR will require certain bits of paperwork. Now, i have bank statements for the last 12 months and i have all my payslips for as many years as i can remember, but i do not have my credit card and loan company statements from my creditors as i shredded all these 15 months ago when i started my IVA as i didn't think i would ever need them again. My IP told me last week that as i was going BR, she would inform my creditors but that's as much as she is doing. I have had to petition for my own BR. I cant see how i can get my statements without getting in touch with my 8 creditors which i dont really want to do. Can the OR get hold of these statements if he requires them?

I have also mentioned in my on-line forms that my main reason for getting into debt was my own stupid fault for living beyond my means but i cannot remember every purchase or every reason for taking out a new loan as my debts go back about 12 years. How much proof will i need?

Cant think of anything else and just want to get wednesday out of way now. Sorry for all questions but any advise would be great.

Thanks a lot.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:03 pm
Hi Swardy, you sound much better prepared than I was! I didn't take enough copies and the court charged me a fortune for a photocopy! I don't think it's a problem that you have amended the forms - the clerk found a few errors on mine when I got to court and she amended them.

Like you I didn't have all the statements and agreements but this shouldn't be a problem - the OR can contact your creditors for any information that they need. Also, if you ask for statements the creditors will charge you per statement! I do have one suggestion (you've probably already thought of it though!) - keep copies of all the statements that you send to the OR. I had a telephone interview and I felt more confident having the paperwork in front of me.

Just be honest with the OR. They don't expect you to remember every little transaction, and if you don't know something just tell them. Despite what I was expecting my examiner was human, and seemed to understand that I was nervous and couldn't remember everything.

If you have any more questions, please post and I will try to help. Good luck for Wednesday.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

lily

Post by lily » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:35 pm
I just wanted to say good luck to you, I know it's daunting but there is a new life waiting on the other side. We will be with you in spirit on Wed.

lily
lily

swardy73

Post by swardy73 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:03 pm
Thanks very much Skippy & Lilly.

Thanks also Skippy for the reminder to take copies of statements as i didn't think of that at all!

Wish i could photocopy the £485!!!!!!!

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:41 pm
good luck for wednesday swardy, you have everything in order, i made errors on my form and they just asked that i initialled them when i was there, the court day is not that bad at all, you won't need anything on the day other than your BR forms and the £485.
will be thinking of you.
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:55 pm
Hi Swardy73
Good luck for Wednesday,I,m sure that you will feel a weight off your shoulders after the meeting.
regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

swardy73

Post by swardy73 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:58 am
Hi all,

Well, i was made bankrupt this morning at 9.37am.
For anybody who has an appointment coming up and is nervous, here's how it went for me :-

My apt was for 9am, but i got there early as i wasn't sure exactly where the court was, and as soon as i parked up, the heavens opened, so i ended up at court absolutely drenched! I got there at 8.40 and the lovely security guy said he would see if they would see me straight away which they did. After the lady went through my forms, i was taken to a waiting room ready for the judge. This was the longest wait, but was only about 25 minutes, and when i went in to see the judge, i was there for about 2 minutes before he declared me bankrupt!
I went back upstairs and was taken into a little room where someone from the OR'S office was on the phone just to go through a few things. This lasted 5 minutes, and that was it! I'm now waiting for the pack to come through the post, and for my telephone call with the OR, and i think that's it. It is very painless and the people there are lovely, and as many have said on this forum, they do NOT judge you at all.

Anyway, i booked the whole day off work today, and now i need to go out and get 2 new tyres on my car and also need to pay my car tax, so all in all, today with the £485 for the court, and the estimated £120 for the car tax and tyres, it has been a very expensive day, but i am glad i can see some light at the end of a very long tunnel.
Might even treat my self to a bacon and chicken baguette on way home (if any change left!)

Bye for now.

lily

Post by lily » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:50 pm
Well done Swardy. Treat this as the first day in your new life, although it was painless it must have been strange and emotional for you. I wish you good luck and I hope that you enjoyed the chicken and bacon. You will sleep peacefully tonight.

lily
lily

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:55 pm
Well done and thinks for posting your experiences, it's really important that people post as there still are so many "urban myths / old wives tales" about bankruptcy.

Best Regards
Oliver

Thomas Charles and Co Ltd.
Experts in personal debt solutions.
Read customer feedback at: www.thomascharles.com/about_us.asp
Best Regards
Oliver

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Wed Jul 25, 2007 2:26 pm
Hi
Well done and you must feel like a weight has been lifted from your shoulders.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:13 pm
Well done. It is reassuring to read your's and others' accounts of their bankruptcy experiences when it is a possibility for some of us who are waiting for the outcome of our initial meetings with creditors.
May I wish you all the very best.
Blue
Last edited by BlueShoes on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

sps

Post by sps » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:50 pm
Best wishes to you Swardy for a fresh start
Sue

swardy73

Post by swardy73 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:30 pm
Thanks very much to everyone for their kind words.

I did fell a bit sad and strange after coming out of court today and i dont feel pround that i am bankrupt at 34 with no assets to my name, but in the same vein, i am glad that i can finally see an end to my financial problems.
I will now live a life without credit which i am pleased about because i can only see more and more problems for people in the future with the pressure and the ease at which credit is available!
Despite being in an IVA for 15 months, even to this day (in fact this morning!) i still receive letters through my door offering me credit. The one i received this morning said 'Congratulations, the loan you have applied for has been accepted, and will only cost me £50 to fill in the forms!!!!'
Now, unless i applied for the loan while drunk, then it wasn't me!

I will post again after my OR telephone call and thanks again to everyone who has helped me. Best wishes to everyone going through the same or similar things and remember, there is always a solution.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:57 pm
Hi Swardy, I'm glad it went well for you. I know what you mean about not feeling proud about being BR - I am 32, BR and no assets. One thing I am proud of is that I have faced up to my debts and done something about them.

Good luck with the OR interview - that wasn't as bad as I thought either. Remember, they are only human, and they are only doing their job. Mine was actually quite nice!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is the present - a gift to make the most of.

View my blog at http://skippy13.blogs.iva.co.uk/

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:16 am
swardy, no its nothing to be proud of but: you tried like the rest of us, i am glad it is over for you now, look to the future, you are now debt free, good luck and hold your head up high
kerri

19 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “bankruptcy approved, what a relief!!”