Iva and car finance.

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
4 posts Page 1 of 1

longcon2

Post by longcon2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:24 pm
Hi
My iva is due to start towards the end of this month stepchange are currently dealing with it.
I have contacted stepchange today to see if I can take a lease car through NHS Fleet through my employer because the car i drive is practically done. This is done through a salary sacrifice but it also stops me paying car tax insurance and mot costs plus things like parts and labour and tyres.
This is something I want to do because I can insure my partner my dad and my daughter all for no extra cost so it becomes like a pool car.
I didnt get much information from stepchange regarding if I can do this or not the guy just said once your iva is sorted you can speak to the supervisor.
Has anyone done anything like this before? Iam not too bothered about having to pay in to my iva the fee I receive for my old car and any savings on fuel and tax, mots, if that makes sense.
I just dont want to be told its not an option. I could now cancel the iva and speak to my creditors directly about a repayment plan myself. That would then mean I can get the lease car.
Iam not trying to make my iva payments lower iam more than happy to pay what I stated I would.

Breezy

Post by Breezy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:32 pm
There is no guarantee it would be accepted, but I have seen a few instances on here where posters have managed to get an NHS salary sacrifice car scheme accepted. In the long run it works for the benefit of both you and your creditors in lower long term costs, no surprise bills and reliable transport for work ( no work = no salary = no debt repayment).
I am not qualified to give advice and can only state my opinions, based on my IVA experiences.

longcon2

Post by longcon2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:40 pm
Hi thanks for replying. Any tips to get it passed? I was actually considering contacting each creditor to see where i stood with repayments without the iva. This is sort of a deal breaker I take it I have a 14 day cooling off period after the iva is accepted?.
I cant do 5 years with the current car has its way too old already. It already has issues which will stop it going through the next mot and I rarely do well at picking up cheap cars. Its a win win situation for me but its working out if its more cost effective. It will probably cost more but I have a reliable car has it stands I cant take my kids too far down to worries of it breaking down.

Breezy

Post by Breezy » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:05 pm
As far as I am aware, there is no cooling off period once the creditors meeting has taken place. So, if you need to explore other avenues, it would be best to stop current proceedings. Maybe Stepchange will do a debt management plan for you while you tread water for a while ( this is basically what you are proposing, but they have more clout with creditors ). Get the car sorted out and then approach them with a new IVA proposal with the car built in already. Maybe have a chat with another person at Stepchange about all of the pros and cons.
I am not qualified to give advice and can only state my opinions, based on my IVA experiences.
4 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”