IVA and gamlbing... will I be accepted?

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
19 posts Page 2 of 2

thumper25

Post by thumper25 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:52 am
Thanks for your comments, they are helping me to try and stay positive! I will take a couple of weeks to look into different companies, as I was referred through citizens advice I just presumed I had been put through to a pretty decent company. My debt was already around 35K before the gambling, but as you can probably imagine I am feeling like the 10K of savings should have gone into getting this debt down, instead of stupidly gambling away, and that the creditors will also see it this way.

Thanks!

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am
CAB will have probably referred you to Stepchange or Grant Thornton/Apeture.

Like others I would suggest having a chat with Lisa Thomas or Michael Peoples (they are the people I wish I was with).
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:13 am
I guess no two cases will ever be the same. As I understand it if your case is simple stepchange will run it, if there is anything slightly out of the ordinary they offload it to Grant Thornton, now know as aperture - from the forum posts on here I decided I didn't wan to go with them, I stopped at the 11th hour and changed course and went with the firm Michael works for, McCambridge Duffy. I was very happy with all aspects and dealings with the him and his colleagues. Add to that he has said above they have a process for this and proven "accept" history with getting these things to work for those with gambling debts, I think you would be doing ourself an injustice if you didn't at least speak to him, also ember they don't use the 2014 protocols, this is important if you have a property with possible equity in it now, or in 5 years time, likewise if you come I to money (other than gambling [:)]) they don't charge statutory interest in early repayments (at 8% per annum that can be a lot !!)

From my own experience you won't be disappointed going with them, my blog has more details on why I chose them.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Lisa Thomas

Industry Expert

Post by Lisa Thomas » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:57 am
Hi - welcome and well done for starting to take steps to sort out your financial situation. Some firms will ask for evidence you have been gambling free for a certain length of time to show willing to creditors but others won't. At the end of the day creditors have to decide whether to give you a chance or allow Bankruptcy to happen instead, which, if you have no assets, will probably not result in them getting anything back and having to write the debt off in full. Speak to a few IPs and make sure you're confident with the one you choose. I always think it's best to meet someone local in person if you can.
I'm a licensed IP with 16+ yrs at Neville & Co covering the South West area. I have a YouTube channel with advisory videos on here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMPTTu ... Z5k9ZcC2MA http://www.nevilleco.co.uk 01752 786800 Lisa@nevilleco.co.uk
19 posts Page 2 of 2
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”