IVA and Mood Swings

24 posts Page 1 of 2

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:09 am
Been in my IVA for 8 months Now and having No Money sometimes can make me Right Moody!!!
What always winds me up is when my Parents or In-Laws come round and they all start Talking about Money and there Holidays and keep asking us are we going anywhere this year.
They don't even know that i am in an IVA and i would feel well embarrassed if i tell them that i am as i want it to remain private.
What also drives me mad is when i am trying to Budget with what i have got left something daft crops up like ANOTHER BIRTHDAY!!.
I used to be A TOTAL SPENDTHRIFT!!!

NOW I AM A REALLY TIGHT B*****D!!!!!

I get upset if i have to spend a Fiver thats how Tight i Have become in my IVA.
I am finding that when i used to Spend , Spend , spend i was always
Happy even though i was Kidding Myself.

Now that i am Trying To Budget my money and be sensible i am becoming Tighter and Tighter and any Money i Spend Makes me Incredibly Moody.

Does anybody else feel like this or am i going through Cold Turkey as Regards being FInancially Sensible.

angela18

Post by angela18 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 am
i get really down andrew as well.. especially as all my friends have a fantastic tan.. I just keep thinking of being debt free at the end of it!! we had money in our savings which I have now had to replace my tyres after its MOT as it would not have seen the winter through on others.. so now skint again!! its like a vicious circle!!

but don't let it get you to down.. it'll be worth it in the end
Ang.. 13 payments in.. WOW, thats over 20% paid!! http://angela18.blogs.iva.co.uk/ well here we go

if you wish for a rainbow... then you have to put up with the rain xx

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:20 am
Hi Andrew - you are normal [;)] I too have experienced a whole range of emotions since my hubby entered an IVA. Coupled with other things that go on in our lives its difficult not to get down about money, or lack of it. I've been updating my blog on much the same thing, weddings, Christmas parties and the like. Before the odd tenner wouldn't have made a difference, but now its like"Whoa where am I going to get that from". Especially when others don't know the situation we're in.

Like Angela says tho - we will be debt free and thats what keeps me going. I can't wait for 2012...not the Olympics, end of our IVA [:D]

At least on here we can share our feelings. x

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:22 am
I think we all have times like that. I hate hearing people at work talking about their exotic holidays when I haven't been anywhere for a while, and no immediate prospect of going anywhere either.

I get down when I am trying to juggle weekly spending with a birthday that I had forgotten about until I checked the calendar.

I just tell myself it will get better and each month is bringing me closer to that debt free goal.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

andrewgoodman121

Post by andrewgoodman121 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:02 pm
But do you find that you are becoming Really Tight when it comes to Money and Spending.
This IVA has made me realise how important money is

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm
VERY tight! I watch every penny and panic if something comes up I hadn't accounted for.

I like seeing that credit balance.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:19 pm
Reading these posts makes me realize just how lucky I am. Not having friends I don't have to worry about 'standing my corner' when I go out which is rarely. And as I've not been on holiday since 1968 I don't miss that either. I do feel for you lot though, it must be hard having to 'go easy'. I've had 20 years practice at going easy. The reason I am in an IVA can be traced back to 1986, at which time I had a motorbike accident. I was off work for nearly 6 years and was under insured. The bills I could pay while working were no longer being paid and the arrears just got higher and higher. During this time I lost my job and was unemployed until 1992, at which time I went back into retail. I stayed with this firm until 2000 working for £100 pw and petrol money because the bloke I worked for was also having trouble. At least I was working and my wife had a good job, and I was now able to pay my creditors. In 2001 I started to work for an IT company giving advice as a call centre. Now the wage was more stable, although now I got no petrol allowance. In 2004 my wife was taken ill and almost died. The company I worked for refused me time off to look after her, which meant paying a carer and that was expensive. The stress and the worry got so bad I had a nervous breakdown, and lost my job because of it. I can no longer talk to people on the phone without planning ahead, and I can't talk to people face to face. I've not worked since that time. I had never heard of IVAs until my IP rang me on speck as it were and I'm so glad he did because now I am so much better off. Oh ... the wife is back at work now although only part time.

So .. as I said at the beginning ... I've probably had a lot more practice making a pound do the work of two than a lot of people, so I do feel for you who are struggling.
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

Wizzard

Post by Wizzard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 pm
Jeez ... I've just seen the size of that post ... gobby owld sod aren't I[:D][:D]
When I was young I was called a rugged individualist
When I was in my fifties I was considered eccentric
Here I am doing and saying the same things I did back then and now I'm labelled senile

Julie

Post by Julie » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:20 pm
Very tight - I've joined the library and won't even buy a book for a charity shop. Now that sounds mean but they can charge up to £2 and I can get it free in the library!

I also count out my change in shops rather than break into any notes...annoying for those behind me but I like seeing notes in my purse [:)]

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:24 pm
That was a very heartwarming post Wizzard.

So glad your wife is fine now, but you have been through the most awful time, and I hope things begin to get better for you.

Thank goodness for the internet, we can 'speak' to people on here when we want without having to see them if we don't want.

You're not a gobby owld sod Wizz - we love you!
Bob Marley.

Viki.W

Post by Viki.W » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:30 pm
Kallis is right Ray, we do all love you. Thank you for sharing that with us, I understand where you're coming from. I'm so glad we're friends.[:I] X
If you would like to talk to me about your debt problems, please visit:
http://www.vincentbond.com/about_us_Viki_Warbrooke.asp

michael.t47

Post by michael.t47 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm
i love you all
would not be smiling through all of this without you all

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:33 pm
This is such a wonderful place. I'd be lost without it.
Bob Marley.

michael.t47

Post by michael.t47 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:37 pm
i agree jan, my oh thinks i having an affair lol

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 pm
[:D][:D]
Bob Marley.
24 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “how are you coping?”