IVA/Bankruptcy/DMP living abroad

14 posts Page 1 of 1

PixieBelle

Post by PixieBelle » Sat May 02, 2009 4:22 pm
Hey there, newbie here and hoping I'm posting in the right place to get some advice.
I am currently working with a great company who have helped me arrange a DMP. I've been paying into this for the last two years and continued to pay when I moved to the Netherlands a year ago. I currently have approximately 20,000 pound (sorry euro keyboard, can't find the pound key!) in debt remaining in the UK and the company who are helping me suggested an IVA may be worth looking at as it is available for a limited time after moving out of the UK.
I've read and heard different rules and guidelines when it comes to IVA regarding payment minumum. Some websites state you have to be able to commit to minumum 200 pound per month (which I can't do), others 100 pound per month minimum. I'm going to be talking it all through with an IVA adviser this week hopefully.
I guess I'm looking for a little more advice from the actual people who've been through this whilst living abroad. Some people have suggested bankruptcy as I don't live in the UK and have no real intention of moving back there for a number of years, if ever but I feel like that is just turning my back on money I was stupid enough to agree to have, then needed to have to keep my head above water. I accept I made mistakes with a lot of support in making more but don't feel that I want to relinquish all responsibility for this outstanding amount.
Anyone abroad on here and gone through this?
Anyones hands on experience regarding positive and negative choices and experiences would be really great!
Last edited by PixieBelle on Sat May 02, 2009 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Max

Post by Max » Sat May 02, 2009 4:31 pm
Have a word with Melanie Giles asap - she is mine and is absolutely first class - no waffle from her - straight as a dye - tells it as it is- does what she say she will do

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:31 pm
Hi and welcome.

I don't have personal experience of this, but there are posters on here who are doing an IVA whilst abroad, and seem to be doing ok.

I would recommend that you take some professional advice. Visit www.iva.com for a list of companies and reviews and you will get free and impartial advice about the options available to you. Give one or two a ring.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat May 02, 2009 4:32 pm
David Mond's firm will do IVAs for as low as £135 per month - so it might be worth having a chat with him.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

PixieBelle

Post by PixieBelle » Sat May 02, 2009 4:38 pm
Thank you for the replies. The company who have arranged my DMP are helping me through their own recommended IVA people so thankfully I'm set there to talk through the options. I was hoping someone may be able to give some personal experience as to how their debts etc worked out with regards these options abroad.
So, anyone not in the UK but daft enough to take out money there, lets hear it! ;)

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 02, 2009 4:40 pm
Can I be nosy and ask which company it is?
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sat May 02, 2009 5:27 pm
Well see how you go on and if not happy (or they ask for upfront fees) you can always give my firm a ring as suggested on this post.

In any event let us know how you get on.
Last edited by David Mond on Sat May 02, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

PixieBelle

Post by PixieBelle » Sat May 02, 2009 8:06 pm
I'm with Payplan who are referring me to one of their approved IVA personel/companies. Payplan have been excellent so far so I'm pretty happy to stay with whoever they refer me to, unless there's money asked for upfront of course!
A little question about this site though. I ticked the box to state I didn't want anyone from the site to be able to email me yet behold, through my query on here (either the IVA calculation or this topic) I apparently already have a debt adviser assigned with me to be with me every step of the way?! What the hell?!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:59 pm
Payplan have their own IP's so they won't refer you to anyone else. They don't forward details on as far as I am aware.

I am surprised that anyone else has contacted you via this site - unless you request it it shouldn't happen.
Bob Marley.

PixieBelle

Post by PixieBelle » Sun May 03, 2009 1:35 pm
Good to know it will stay in house with Payplan then as they have been really great for the last two years.
Just got another email from the same person at the same company asking for my phone number to make contact. I have marked the email address as junk as I definately ticked the no contact box.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun May 03, 2009 3:01 pm
Perhaps a little glitch in the system!
Bob Marley.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sun May 03, 2009 4:20 pm
From which firm did you get these two emails from PixieBelle?
Regards, David Mond, Insolvency Practitioner for over 46 years. Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year 2012, Personal Insolvency Practitioner of the year finalist 2013 & 2014 awarded by Insolvency & Rescue Magazine and 2015 finalist for Personal Insolvency Firm of the Year.

PixieBelle

Post by PixieBelle » Sun May 03, 2009 5:23 pm
Turns out to be a professional who offers a lot of advice on here! Andy Davies I think it was, guess just a glitch in the system but blocked as junk anyway as I'll contact people on my own terms if I'm not happy with Payplan.

David Mond

Post by David Mond » Sun May 03, 2009 5:27 pm
Thank you and good luck - don't forget to let us know.
14 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “bankruptcy may be the best option”