IVA Day 1 - Nervous

11 posts Page 1 of 1

Helend415

Post by Helend415 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:30 pm
All documents and paperwork sent off last week, and now waiting to see if we get excepted. Credit card with Barclays was due to be paid on 17th June and already had two calls from them tonight, First was a recorded message and the next I did not answer as came up as o845 number and new it was them again. Did not realise they would start pestering so soon and havnt told partner as done want to worry him. He's struggling knowing we have to do this as it is!
Is it normal for them to hassle so soon, How long before they will get to know we in an IVA if accepted?
Very nervous and feel edgy about the whole thing. Always paid our way and just no alternative left now. Do so wish the process was over and done with and we knew if we were accepted. How long before we find anytning out?

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:37 pm
Hi and welcome to the forum. Shouldn't be long now before they've processed your paperwork, send you a proposal, if it's all in order you'll get a meeting date and once the meeting has taken place you have a yes or no result. Creditors will chase relentlessly some of them on one missed payment. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:38 pm
Hi sunshines and welcome to the forum.

Now all of your paperwork has been sent off then your proposal will be drafted and sent to you for checking and signing. Once that goes back then it should just be a couple of weeks.

You don't have to answer the calls but it might be an idea to tell your partner that the calls are coming in and they will continue until your IVA is approved. You can ignore them or refuse to answer the security questions.

Keep posting for advice and support.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Helend415

Post by Helend415 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:40 pm
Thank you for your message. What is the meetin date? Nobody mentioned a meeting date. We were told that the creditors meet, or kind of, they tend to not meet in person, they decide and then we get to know, Is the meeting one where we are supposed to go?

Helend415

Post by Helend415 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm
Kallis3 & Lesley_, thank you for your welcome messages. I agree I will tell my partner tonight that he is not to snwer the phone, aslong as they dont start ringing him at work. Its been so hard to maek the final decision to do this, and dont need hassling over it by the creditors. I blame myself to be honest, and have sat up many a late night just crying asking myself how I got us in this mess. It just happened and I cant change it, but facing it now, and I still blame me, but hopefully one day we can be debt free, and able to live agin, we survive and that it.

Shining

Post by Shining » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:05 pm
Technically it's called a creditors meeting but like you say they don't actually meet in person, you're not expected to attend.

Try and change any phone numbers you can if they have your work numbers to prevent them contacting you at work.
I'm sure you'll be debt free again one day and we're all in a same/similar position in respect of debt. I often question how I ended up like this but I'm 3.5 years in my IVA now and it's the best thing I did ....to take the plunge and sort my mess out. I won't tell you it's all been plain sailing but it's been far easier than juggling money as I was doing pre-IVA.

Stick around with us on the forum for advice and support, we are a very friendly bunch and support each other both on and off the forum. Even to the point of meeting up a couple of times a year. x
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 pm
Is the IVA just yours or are both of you going for it? Which company are you using?
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Struzzo39

Post by Struzzo39 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:27 pm
HI and welcome to the forum. Our whole process took around 7 weeks from start to acceptance. the phoncalls and letters did last a little longer than this though :(
Hopefully you wont have to wait much longer. You've both done the hardest thing and admitted that there was a problem. And your now on your way to being debt free. Heres hoping all goes smoothly for you and you get your meeting and acceptance through shortly. Good luck and keep us posted x
Steven & Debbie

footiemad

Post by footiemad » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:55 pm
Hi - good to have you on board. It is hard when you start the IVA process and have to endure the calls and letters but please remember we have all been through this and although it is a struggle you do get over it and when the IVA is accepted they will all stop (sooner or later). You need to be strong and of course tell your partner about the calls but remember, the creditors are just trying to get you to give them some form of payment - tell them that you cannot pay them because that would then make them preferential creditors and that is not allowed in the IVA and if you get too much hassle tell your IP and ask him/her to contact them. You could always ignore all the calls (keep your phone off the hook until 9pm every evening) or refuse to answer the security questions. Good luck and please be strong because it will be so worth it to become debt free. Once, after opening around 6 letters demanding payment my husband said " of course its best not to take this personally " - he did make me laugh!! Anyway, chin up, and I'm sure everything will be fine and any worries just come on here x

KAYKAY

Post by KAYKAY » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:59 am
It is a difficult time, but you will get through it, and don't forget the help on this forum is invaluable. I wish I had found the site at the start of my IVA, instead of towards the end. With regards the phone calls, I just used to leave my answer phone on. I told family and friends to expect the answer phone so they would then say "Hi it's me" and I would pick up. I never divulged the real reason for the answer phone being on constantly, just told them I was receiving nuisance calls. Good luck for the future, you have now started your journey to financial freedom.
IVA Completed August 2011

kat68

Post by kat68 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:04 pm
hi sunshine,
barclays was one of my creditors, i did take their calls, told them i was in the process of an iva gave them the details of the company ip etc.

they were always polite, and each time put a hold on my account for a full 14 days informing me that they would have to call again to see how things were progressing with the iva, which they did every 2 weeks, and that was fine with me. and since acceptance i haven't received one call from them.

so it might not be a bad thing if you feel you are strong enough to speak with them.
and hopefully if they put a hold on your account it may mean only two or three phone calls between now and your iva being accepted.
kat

IVA accepted 6th May 2011, Full and Final accepted 17th April 2012.
11 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “tips for IVA success”