IVA failing big time

25 posts Page 1 of 2

coco

Post by coco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:14 pm
Hi Today I spoke to my supervisor that we can no longer manage the IVA payments, i calculated the exp form as per the agreement and there was never enough to even make the contribution which is £470 pm. I then calculated what we acutally are spending in a month and the contribution would be £390, but it does not allow for car ins, tax, mot, service, clothing, dentist, xmas etc. so this is where our IVA is failing realistically for us to live on just the basic terms our best offer can only be £226 due to my child care. so we explained and they are now going to arrange a creditors meeting but as Northern Rock orginally rejected the proposal it looks like BR will be our only option and i can honestly say this is the first time the weight has been lifted in almost 2 years ok we loose our home and the car possibly but as long as my family are together we no longer care about the money.

Our Equity available will be £7500, our car payments left is a total of 3500, so any advice from the experts will be greatly appriciated as what my nexts steps are going to be.

Thanks

51 payments to go
(I apologise for my keyboards poor spelling and grammar)
http://coco.blogs.iva.co.uk
We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:21 pm
Coco - I am sorry to hear that the IVA has not worked out for you as originally planned.

To help our other forum members, could you perhaps let us know what made you think you could afford the higher payments in the beginning, and what has changed to affect your finances. It looks to me as if you underbudgeted in the first place, but how much guidance did you have from your Insolvency Practitioner when the IVA was originally proposed?

What dividend were you originally offering, and what is the proposed varied dividend now on offer?

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.
View my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

coco

Post by coco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:30 pm
Hi Melanie,

Our oringaly monthly payment should have been £320, but after the first creditors meeting NR would not agree to anything below the 45p dividend, so at the time we had to find an extra £150 per month to be able to get NR to agree we the only way to find the extra was for me to remove my daughter from child care 2 days per week my inlaws agreed to look after her, but due to personal reason they could no longer do this which then that we had to put her back into full time care and this is now where our problems started. I have never spoken to our IP through out the whole process only the adminstrators. But we have to accept some of the reponsiblites as we did not check our figures we were just so desperate to get the IVA approved. Our dividend was then made up to 43p which made our monthly payments to £470. Our childcare is £368 pm but we have again reviewed the figures including the childcare and to be able to have the basic living and being able to run the car it would take the monthly payment down to £226. So i dont know how things have gone wrong.

Thanks

51 payments to go
We are made wise not by the recollection of our past, but by the responsibility for our future.

finebridge

Post by finebridge » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 pm
Hi,

Your new surplus income will be shown the creditors meeting and they will get a chance to accept/reject what you are now proposing. If your creditors do reject your offer the creditors can commence their own recovery or instruct their solicitors to start bankruptcy proceedings.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Nicola

Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk
Finebridge Ltd
22 Laud Street, Croydon, CR0 1SU
0800 180 4212
www.finebridge.co.uk

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:41 pm
coco so sorry it has failed, i know you to are with synergi but i found they gave no guidance when drawing up the expenditure they were to interested in getting to that 43p(even before any meeting was set) as they did with me because of northern rock and they fixed the outgoings to very low levels, i know to at that time i agreed to anything as i was so desperate and hoped that with overtime we could have boosted the outgoings but realistically they take 50% of that anyway, i did tell synergi about my concerns as they weren't true figures to be told there was no other way the iva would go through because of northern rock, we didn't even have enough for petrol each month, its ok them saying we will jig the figures so it looks good why couldn't they just put the best offer forward that you realistically can afford as neither the creditor or debtor is in a win situation, but of course your ip will keep the fees you have already paid so sorry coco,but when i realised Br was our only option i too felt like a great weight had been lifted, obviously i am still waiting on this new job and then will know where i am
kerri
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

freelili

Post by freelili » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:00 pm
I am so sorry for both of you and angry at synergi. They were the first company I went to, being desperate also, they said they would e-mail me that evening but didnt, so I phoned another company (Accuma) after a few days I found that I was about to lose my job, accuma said they culdnt proceed with it. I then had a call from Synergi who had taken my e-mail number down incorrectly. I told them that I couldnt proceed because of the loss of employment and I had contacted another company. They said its OK we can carry on with you not working, just use your boys disability money. Then I found this site. I would have gone with them out of desperation, I had a lucky escape. I think this company should be reported.

I wish you two the best of luck and I am so sorry.

LILY
LILY

http://freelili.blogs.iva.co.uk

I asked God for an answer, I have to live with his reply.
Exsisto an angelus quod planto quispiam sentio melior.

neverending

Post by neverending » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:03 pm
Hi Coco
Sorry to hear of your situation,Shame on your IP for pushing through unrealistic payment levels.Also Northern Rock really need to look at this 45p in the £1 stance.If you go bankrupt they will receive very little if anything,had they looked at a reasonable and accurate proposal from a better IP then they may have got back 25p in the £1.
I wonder if their shareholders are aware of the money that they are throwing away ??
As a matter of interest how many payments have you made ?? Also I wonder if, and when, the regulatory body examine Synergi how they will explain an original proposal ballooning from £320 to £470,any one could have seen that it was unrealistic and would fail.
Finally your quote"But we have to accept some of the reponsiblites as we did not check our figures we were just so desperate to get the IVA approved." is so common and is how we all feel when arranging an IVA,this is why you have to go through an IP who ,after all ,is licensed by the government to act for you and your creditors,but on an equal basis.I feel that they have not acted in your best interests
Good Luck and regards
Last edited by neverending on Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Davie

jamesfalla

Post by jamesfalla » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:23 pm
Coco

It sounds like you have had a very rough ride and Northern Rock have basically bullied you into accepting a modified IVA payment which you could not afford. My feeling is that your IP should have advised you not to accept this at the time but I know this is more easily said than done when you are feeling desperate.

From what you have said, I feel bankruptcy is the right option. In terms of the car, as long as you need it for work, the Official receiver will normally allow you to keep the vehical and continue making the payments to the HP company. The HP company will be told but they normally do not care as long as you maintain the payments.

In terms of the house, you might loose it (but this is the worst case and you are resigned to it). Given that there is only £7500 equity, after forced sale value and costs (this is what the OR taks into consideration) there would be little or nothing left for the creditors. As such, you might well be able to offer a small sum to the OR to buy back the house at the very start of the bankrutpcy.

You do not have to wait for your IP to make you bankrupt, you can do it yourself. The downside to this is that you have to pay the Court Fee (can you believe it) which is currently £470 per person (discounted if you are on benefits). However, its a one off payment and that is it. The court is normally much more easy going than creditors in terms of monthly expenses so based on what you have said, once bankrupt I doubt whether you would have to make any monthly payments at all.

James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions, with extensive experience of solving personal debt problems over the past 10 years. My book, "IVA, Bankruptcy and Other Debt Solutions" was published in 2006. I have made numerous TV and radio appearances including BBC1 News, BBC News 24, Radio 4 and Wake up to Money.

Visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk
James Falla

Expert in IVA, Bankruptcy and informal Debt Management solutions for over 10 years.

For more information visit www.jamesfalla.com and visit my blog at: http://jamesfalla.blogs.iva.co.uk

Dominic

Post by Dominic » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:24 pm
i am srory to hear about this Cococ it seems Synergi lets down someone again

DebtDummy

Post by DebtDummy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:28 pm
coco, I am sorry you were pushed into an IVA which was unrealistic.
I too would have been in the same situation if I had signed mine.
Contact the CAB and your court house for BR information. Also, on this site there is information on BR. Also click the link below for alot of assistance from people who have petitioned for one already.

http://www.debtquestions.co.uk/debt_forum/viewforum.php?

There is an insolvency website with the online application to petitioning.

https://www.insolvencydirect.gov.uk/isolv

Filing requires £470 each or x 2 if you and hubby. Sorry, I don't remember if you are married whilst typing this post. The funds you will find as you will have stopped paying ALL of your creditors. Use this money for your BR filing,finding a rental, running your household, etc.

BRs allow more expenditures like, birthdays, haircuts and holidays.

PLEASE get professional advice and read all you can from the websites and ask lots of questions at debtquestions.co.uk.

I am sorry you and your family suffered trying to pay back an IVA. It must have been difficult living under that amount of stress day in and day out. But as you have stated you now have a feeling of relief for the first time in 2 years. I know how good that can feel.

Good luck to you, coco.

All I have left is my humour. :)
All I have left is my humour. :)

View my blog http://www.debtdummybankruwoman.blogs.iva.co.uk.

coco

Post by coco » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:38 pm
Hi everyone

Thanks for the advice and kind words, i am feeling so positive about the future and as me and my husband have said renting is a bad thing. I think it is the car thing really as this is our only transport which both myself and husband need to go to work. But we will tackle it when it comes. I have so far made 9 payments towards my IVA fund as we paid 6 months fees upfront (yes synergi again for you [:(!] but they told me they are included in my 60 payments but none of that really matters at the moment.

51 payments to go

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:51 pm
Sorry to hear it's gone pear shaped Coco, but I am glad you are feeling positive. Good luck for the future xxx

Four down, fifty six to go until freedom!

juditka

Post by juditka » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:16 pm
we are we synergi as well. Since the IVA's been approved I had a payrise(which i told synergi about but they said 'don't worry about it') Now they're asking for our payslips for the last four months to check whether we need to pay the 50% of any overtime we did. I am quite worried... I've looked thru our proposal and I've seen they've only allowed very little clothing allowance per month (no birthday or xmas allowance at all). I think the only reason we've been able to survive the last few months is because of my payrise. We have a 3 year old and there is no way the allowance is enough. Does that mean we have to wear the same clothes for 5 years?( 1 pair of shoes and a top for the baby) Anyway, my questions are: Will they ask for 50% of my payrise? Our yearly review is in October, shud we fill in a new expense form before then? Will they ask us at all whether our expenses are the same? And if the IVA fails is BR the only way out???? Thanks
Last edited by juditka on Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:23 pm
hi juditka i would question them on this now, as what you don't want come october is to be told you have to hand over x amount and you haven't got it
unfortunately the problem with synergi they have cut everybodies expenses to a minimum to meet the creditors demands it seems and have not allowed any contingency funds in any of the proposals that they have set for any of the members using them on this forum.
the only thing i could suggest is to say that your expendiure has gone up and ask for a new expenditure form to fall in line with the wage increase.
i am no expert but i am sure one of the regular experts will be along shortly to advise.
kerri

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:01 pm
Hi juditka

I do not understand why Synergy were doing the budget for you, and your IVA is not based upon your own figures. As you have signed the documents, then you are bound by those expenditure levels, but £30 for a family of three is completely insufficient as a clothing allowance.

Did you put more affordable figures forward that they altered without consulting you? If so, why did you sign the documents? You must certainly tell them that you are not able to live within this budget which appears to have been set for you, and that your additinal money is only supplementing your present shortfall. A clothing budget of £75 is more realistic for three people, including a growing toddler.

From previous posters experiences of this firm - tell them straight now what you mean. They can use some flexibility over this 50% uplift modification - I do most days for some of my clients. Common sense should prevail!

Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner for over 20 years.

For further details contact me at http://www.melaniegiles.com and view my IVA blog at: http://melaniegiles.blogs.iva.co.uk
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner
25 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “IVA postbag for may”