Iva listings appearing on Google

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
201 posts Page 14 of 14

Goosed

Post by Goosed » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 am
It appears that whilst bankrupcheck.co.uk may currently be offline, another strikingly similar site called companycheck.co.uk is now prominent on google searches.

For those who are currently, or have ever been a company director, if you google your name it comes up listed with companycheck.co.uk., as it did with bankruptcheck.

When you visit the site, as before, your name, address and date of birth are there as well as the option for anyone to purchase all your current or past companies house registered accounts and documents.

Again there is an area for people to add comments about you.

The site also offers to divulge any ccj`s, charges, late payment records, etc levied against you...for a fee or subscription.

Another site by the same people ???
"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea".

Eric Cantona

grimswold

Post by grimswold » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:35 am
I'm hoping that this storm about the sale of personal information might be something that would be a good reference point: the ICO might do well to consider the free dissemination of information in order to malign as well. Plus my MP might be interested.

longslog101

Post by longslog101 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:03 am
Goosed,

They seem to have been around a while and at least have genuine contact details and registered domain owner which matches contact details on website etc.

Director and company secretary info pops up everywhere, that was my 30 google right to be forgotten requests the other day.
My Blog details, the route I took before IVA, how I choose my firm, equity release advice (year 4-5), challenging the CRA's keeping IVA on credit file once gone from insolvency register

IVA ended August 2015. Would recommend McCambridge Duffy

Jethro

Post by Jethro » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:22 pm
Hi Guys
Can I just briefly say that Companycheck is a business tool that I use quite regularly to check out firms before we do business with them. It only digs deep if you pay for it and that's only giving company info rather than personal.
It only shows people who are directors or secretaries of companies. Anyone with a "normal" job will not show up.
It's been around for quite a while and it's no different than if you pay companies house to do a search on a company.
I wish it wasn't necessary but unfortunately if you're going to be doing business with someone for any amount of money you need to know some background.
Well done for sorting the bankruptcy one.

MrsR

Post by MrsR » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:57 pm
I too have used the company check site on many occasions and I've never had any issues or found it to be used for any other purposes other than purely business, certainly when I'm doing business anyway!

I'd lose contracts for any data breaching as people trust me with their information!
Started IVA 27th Feb 2012 - Due to complete 27th Jan 2018 !!

Full & Final submitted and accepted 30th March 2015, paid 10th April 2015 - 3 yrs 1 month into IVA :)

Completion Certificate received- 30th April 2015!!

lifenoteasy

Post by lifenoteasy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:47 pm
From the Insolvency Service today:

Thank you for your email dated 28 March 2015.

I note your concerns about the operation of the website www.bankruptcheck.co.uk. The Insolvency Service, acting on behalf of the Secretary of State must by law (Rule 6A.1 of The Insolvency Rules 1986), keep an up to date register of:

• individual voluntary arrangements (IVAs);
• fast track voluntary arrangements (FTVAs);
• bankruptcy orders;
• debt relief orders (DROs);
• bankruptcy restrictions orders or undertakings (BROs/BRUs); and
• debt relief restrictions orders or undertakings (DRROs/DRRUs).

This register is called the Individual Insolvency Register. It must be open to public inspection.

As The Insolvency Service must by law keep an up to date individual insolvency register that is open to public inspection, The Service cannot be held responsible for the actions of those who obtain data from the register and what they may subsequently do with this data. This includes internet search engines.

However, private companies obtaining and using information from the Register are likely to be subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act 1998. I would, therefore, suggest you contact The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), who has responsibility for Data Protection matters. The Commissioner has a website at www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk and the address is:
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane
Wilmslow
Cheshire
SK9 5AF

ICO Helpline: 08456 30 60 60
01625 54 57 45

The Information Commissioner’s Office will be in a position to look into the matter further.

I hope this is of assistance.

Yours sincerely
IVA started March 2011, Completed March 2016 and certificate issued 11 days after final payment. It was not always easy but then some of the best decisions aren't.
201 posts Page 14 of 14
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”