IVA oe debt management

5 posts Page 1 of 1

angelareynolds69

Post by angelareynolds69 » Tue May 08, 2012 8:58 pm
Hi could someone please help me I am torn between IVA and debt management. I have one company telling me IVA is best for me and another telling em to go for debt management. I really dont want to loose my house at the end of the 5year stint as I am only a 50% shared ownership. Please help me as I have to give an answer sooner rather than later and i am starting to feel the presure !! HEEEELLLLLPPPPP thanks ange

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Tue May 08, 2012 9:09 pm
Hi. a lot will depend upon your level of debt. If you are confident that your payments under a DMP will pay off the loansd within 6 - 7 years and that the creditors WILL stop charging interest for the whole period, then a DMP might be an option.

However, a DMP isn't binding and creditors can back out and demand payment, add charges and interest at any time. They will still default your credit file and those defaults will remain there for 6 years after you have paid off the debt.

An IVA is legally binding on both sides, the creditors cannot back out and cannot add interest or pursue you in any way. Whatever you haven't paid back at the end will be written off. And, no, they should not visit and sieze goods :)

I would suggest you have a word with a few companies, those purporting to be free (regarded widely as charities) will more than likely prefer the DMP initially as that is really their bag and what they are very good at. Have a look at www.iva.com and speak to a couple of firms there. It's free and without obligation.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed May 09, 2012 8:39 am
Great advice by foggy ...advice from several companies may help to make a more informed decision.

With an IVA you are guaranteed to be debt free at the end of the term so long as you continue to pay each month the set amount.

With a DMP, interest can be added, and in some circumstances depending on your level of debt it may take years to clear it and sometimes it never goes away.

Give www.iva.com a go and speak with several companies.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

plasticdaft

Forum Expert

Post by plasticdaft » Wed May 09, 2012 12:22 pm
who have you spoken to so far Angela?

Paul
Discharged today the 8th feb 2012. View is much brighter now.
Continuing to rebuild our credit worthiness.

Shining

Post by Shining » Wed May 09, 2012 1:00 pm
I would talk to another couple if I were you and not proceed with anything until you're 100% sure.
IVA final payment left the bank on the 26th January 2013...looking forward to a debt free future.
5 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “Cost of living in an IVA”