Jefferson Hobbs - SCAM ?

17 posts Page 1 of 2

Hammie1

Post by Hammie1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:46 pm
Hi All

Just to let you know that we received a letter today from this company. We knew that we recognised the name and after googling, took us straight to this site.
The letter just says "we would be grateful if you could contact this office at your ealiest opportunity as we have IMPORTANT information that we need to disucss with you, quoting reference number. That's it.

Obviously like posters have suggested that this could be a Scam, but definately preys on the vulnerability of people in IVA's. We have thrown the letter in the bin.

Just thought that we should start a new thread about these people to warn others as the old thread is two years old!!.

Sam
F&F accepted 12/8/13 - Awaiting Completion Certificate :-)
Thanks to everyone for your support. Could'nt have done it without you.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:04 pm
Ignore them - they are ambulance chasers. There have been threads recently about this company - google may not have updated though.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

love hope and strength

Post by love hope and strength » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:05 pm
I've had a similar letter from a company called 'Integrity Finance'.

Integrity ? my eye !!

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:09 pm
They all need binning! I think I had one from them once - I must be due for one from some company or other soon.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:32 pm
I can't wait to get the first letter of phone call, sounds weird eh, I want a bit of fun LOL. No seriously if I get a phone call and I get the 'you're IVA was mis-sold/handled' I'm gonna ask them why they think this, what do they know that was said to me that was wrong LOL of course they can't answer that cos they weren't really there.

I did get a call on my mobile the other day and it said unknown and although i don't usually answer them I was worried about hubby so I did. when I answered it immedialy launched in to 'this is a message, don't hang up. having debt problems....' Of course I hung up. LOL,

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:35 pm
I'm thankful I'm ex directory and so don't get those calls. Never had one on my mobile.
Bob Marley.

leaKybrain

Post by leaKybrain » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:50 pm
I'm ex directory too but we still seem to get odd calls. As for mobile number, i actually don't know where they got that from now that you mention it. I haven't added it to anything.

When the IVA is put on the register do our phone numbers go on there too.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:59 pm
No, your phone number is not on the register. I think I'd be changing my number if they did!
Bob Marley.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:56 am
The way that these letters are being written gives me great concern as to why the Office of Fair Trading are not also looking into the "bankruptcy assist" industry as well as the debt management profession.

How a firm can claim to have important information about someone's personal situation beggars belief, and is just laughable really. But they must be making money out of it to pay for the printer ink and stamps.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:41 am
Exactly! Problem is that a lot of people believe them and this is obviously where they are getting their money from.
Bob Marley.

salkitten15

Post by salkitten15 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:12 pm
I have been sent loads of these letters, but through reading up on this forum and a letter from my IVA company telling me to ignore them...that's what I did! If you are happy in your IVA it just doesnt make any sense what so ever to take any notice of this garbage.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:55 pm
And garbage is exactly what it is!

Trouble is that some people see it as an easy way out and don't realise that they could end up owing money to these sort of companies.
Bob Marley.

kingkong

Post by kingkong » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:57 pm
Well well another great rip off.

Everybody lies the only difference is how much

http://www.thriftyscot.co.uk/062007/ban ... firms.html

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:00 pm
Nothing like five years old news to brighten up the forum is there!
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:11 pm
kingkong wrote:

Well well another great rip off.

Everybody lies the only difference is how much

http://www.thriftyscot.co.uk/062007/ban ... firms.html
That was written 4 years ago, since which time the industry has tightened up --- and apparently people are still in search of IVA's.

The answer to most of the points raised is for the debtor to read and understand the undertaking BEFORE signing up. Asd for fees .... worth every penny.

I will repeat a small calculation I made earlier in another post:

I owed one CC company nearly £13,000 and was just about managing to pay the interest each month. Assuming I wasn't in an IVA, after 5 years I would have paid that company over £12,000 interest and STILL owed them the £13,000 !!!!! In the IVA they are getting about £4000. So I have "saved" myself £21,000 !!! And that's just one creditor! ... no where near what I am (or the creditor is) paying in fees.

From my point of view ( which is the one that concerns me), while paying what I can I am "saving" a fortune -- I'd hate to do that little sum on all of my debt ... to be fair, that particular CC was the highest interest one.
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014
17 posts Page 1 of 2
Return to “Abuse of the Insolvency Register”