Jefferson Hobbs

68 posts Page 2 of 5

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:50 pm
I quite agree Mel.

If the petitioner is a bit vague about their IVA and believes what these people tell them, would they still be denied BR?

Perhaps if this happens a lot the judges will look more closely into this sort of company.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 am
Who knows Jan - I just wish they would stop being able to call and write to my clients, who are intelligent enough to make their own minds up about what is best, rather than having some patronising so-and-so claiming to know all about their finances. I really cannot believe that people can be so gullible to firstly believe them and secondly pay them money for filling in a few simple forms.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

andrea1968

Post by andrea1968 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:57 am
greed-thats one reason I can think of for people opting to go with these companies-not wanting to pay at least a percentage of the debt they have accumulated.A lack of understanding of their iva is another-mine was explained thoroughly to me each time anyone contacted me about my proposal and I do believe there will be plenty sign their contract not really comprehending the long term effects an iva will have on your lifestyle.
-and there will always be those who think something that is too good to be true-is !!!!!!
Last edited by andrea1968 on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
full and final accepted January 2015

iva agreed; August 2010
iva would have completed; August 2017
extra year thank's to NRAM

TheMatrix

Post by TheMatrix » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 am
I think the only way this will ever stop is if they make the insolvency register available only to those with a legitimate reason to have it to do their jobs. And stop access for everyone else who use it for questionable marketing purposes.

I agree Foggy, I'm afraid programmes like Rip Of Britain will only go on to fuel this now, the BBC were irresponsible not showing all the facts in their programme in my opinion.

[Edited to correct typo]
Last edited by TheMatrix on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
We're willing to wipe the slate clean, give you a fresh start. All that we're asking in return is your cooperation.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:10 am
I don't think it always motivated by greed. Those of us who found the forum have been able to ask questions and been given superb advice by those professionals who are good enough to give up their time to help us.

The people who tend to sign up to the likes of Jefferson Hobbs probably don't have much of a clue about the IVA (although they should have read and understood the proposal), the people they speak to are good salesmen and will persuade them that they have been missold. If you are vulnerable, and especially if you are struggling with your IVA it will seem like a lifeline.

In one way I can liken it to the elderly who are talked into letting bogus officials into their houses who then proceed to steal anything of worth - usually large sums of money. Despite numerous press releases and visits by local police to tell them not to let strangers in and check ID if not sure, they still do it.

Always make sure of anything before you let someone try and talk you into something which will probably not help you at all.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:17 pm
I hope that your client does not have any more trouble from so called financial experts Mel.

As for the Insolvency register, why does there need to be one anyway? All financial institutions and companies have their own way of checking on someones financial status through the credit referencing agencies, and we all know how transparent and accountable those organisations are, especially with a certain banks 1% corporation tax to the Chancellor on billions of pounds of profit a year, along with the rest no doubt.

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:27 pm
I can accept there being a register but do not agree that it should be in public view. Perhaps if these ambulance chasers were made to pay a high fee to view the register each time they wanted to check on it, it might put them off!
Bob Marley.

The Major

Post by The Major » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:10 pm
Hi Mel

Not wishing to participate in the contents of the debate, we go down this route many times but is what you have heard about the debtor in an IVA being refused bankruptcy just hearsay, I cannot see how anyone who was in an IVA which means they are insolvent anyway, ever be refused a bankruptcy by any court whether or not it was failed deliberately as it is fundamently their human right, I would love to know which court and when as something is not right here.

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:17 pm
I am at loss to understand how refusing bankruptcy is a failure of human rights. Even to indicate this is a clear misunderstanding of what human right are.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 pm
I can understand BR as a right when circumstances conspire to make it the only viable option or when creditors force BR. But not when people intentionally deny their creditors repayment in order to improve their own lifestyle. I would love BR right now - another argument with my boyfriend about money tonight - but how can I justify the switch when payments are affordable?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:30 pm
I, and most of the posters on here, have said that we took the loans etc out with the intention of paying them back. Some posters have tried IVA and been forced into BR because the payments were too high.

Some people, again through no fault of their own, have had to declare bankruptcy.

However, I do agree that some people have done it as the easy way out.

Don't think that applies anymore.
Bob Marley.

The Major

Post by The Major » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:31 pm
So what we are saying here is that we have a choice but others should not, we chose the path ahead and others should follow our path because we think its the correct path, and if the law allows any other way we should change the law so choice is taken away.

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:38 pm
We have a philosopher on the forum! Using our own measures, we shouldn't have a choice of what we repay and should all be on DMPs for however long it takes; once you choose to only pay a pc back the question of IVA or BR is semantics. I'm stumped...it'll take a while to think up an answer to that. A bit like Ali G saying to a veggie about eating one chicken to save another's life!!

ginger3232

Post by ginger3232 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:39 pm
It has been said many a time on this forum - there is no easy answer to getting out of debt - however some people feel a responsibility for the situation they are in and freely took the debt on knowing they could make the payments at the time, however To freely take debt on and petition for bankruptcy as the first choice, as an easier/quickest way out. i would have to question someone social/moral judgement.

During IVa - life changes, so what was the best option 2-3 years ago - does not mean it is now, so the right situation needs to be constantly reviewed, no one should feel guilty about this at least you tried

The Major

Post by The Major » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:43 pm
Hi Broke

I have read that now five or six times with the greatest respect it must be late, but I cannot make any sense of what is written, its perhaps me I must be tired.
68 posts Page 2 of 5
Return to “talking about ...”