Job application

Get expert opinion. This is the place for new questions to be posted.
56 posts Page 1 of 4

wuffy

Post by wuffy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:54 am
Hi

A question on the job application I have completed asks "Has a court or bankruptcy judgement ever been awarded against you" I answered NO but am now wondering if this is the correct answer !!!!!

Russ

Broke of London

Post by Broke of London » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 pm
If a court judgement refers to a CCJ then you have answered correctly. IVAs are lodged with the court but I'm not sure whether they are counted as a court judgement. Hopefully one of our experts can clarify this particular wording! Good luck with the new job and don't let this worry you x

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

wuffy

Post by wuffy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:28 pm
Thanks for the reply......guess i forgot to mention that they offered the job to me, explained they had to do checks and I did explain I have BAD credit, they kept stipulating that all will be fine as long as I do not have a criminal record, any CCJs or been declared bankrupt.

Two weeks after I handed my notice in (yep, handed in my notice as per all my discussions/email/offer letter pending checks) they have, on Friday afetrnoon, told the agency that they have taken the job offer back, not that anyone has told me why......and yes I will call them first thing tomorrow but I need to make sure I have not had a court judgement against me
Last edited by wuffy on Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:36 pm
OK. I assume you do not have a criminal record, you have not been declared bankrupt and an IVA is not a CCJ. So you have responded truthfully on all counts.

Did they offer you the job in writing, or at least formally, and did you formally accept ? If so, it could be argued that you had a contract of employment. See if CAB can get you a free session with an employment lawyer (do you belong to any organisation that offers telephone legal advice ... union, some car recovery firms, sort of thing?)
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.

wuffy

Post by wuffy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:41 pm
Yep, had to give three work refs and four personal refs, all came back great and even had them asking me in an email for a start date after they told me that as long as I do not have CCJs or a police record all will be fine...and I do not have any CCJs or a police record

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:44 pm
Wuffy - I take you and worriedhalftodeath are either one and the same poster or partners? There are two threads going about the same subject and the IP addresses are the same.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.
http://kallis3.blogs.iva.co.uk

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:47 pm
Seems to be a bit of a grey area:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ ... G_10026703

They would argue that your offer was conditional. However, I would counter argue that the conditions HAD been met and discharged, so the offer could (should) be viewed as an unconditional offer.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:48 pm
font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:<hr height="1" noshade>Originally posted by kallis3

Wuffy - I take you and worriedhalftodeath are either one and the same poster or partners? There are two threads going about the same subject and the IP addresses are the same.
Can they be merged, Jan ?

worriedhalftodeath

Post by worriedhalftodeath » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:50 pm
Yes, I'm his wife... sorry.. didn't realise he was posting too! He's been in shock most of the weekend as he got the call late Friday afternoon from the recruitment agency to say the offer had been withdrawn, so I was trying to do a bit of detective work behind the scenes as I think he should speak to the company about this and get their reasons for withdrawal. It can only be because of the credit check and the fact that it didn't tally with what he put on the form. But it does.. it's just that computers give the facts and not the context and in my experience HR depts aren't so hot on the context - if the computer says no, they say no... Problem is he's given in his notice and has two weeks left of paid work.. then that's it. No job, no income and I guess no more IVA...

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:53 pm
Just wondered as the threads were so similar!
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively.
Bob Marley.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:05 pm
Hi there - you will need to get the definite reason for the withdrawal of the offer. If the offer was made via a recruitment agency, contact them ASAP.

If the offer was subject to conditions and you have not satisfied these, then they are within their rights to withdraw the offer. However,on saying that, if the withdrawal is due to the IVA, you maybe able to speak to the company and argue your case.

Is there an option to retract the resignation from the current employer?

If you need any off forum HR advice, please let me know.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:10 pm
His current employers seem to have given a glowing reference, maybe they will jump at the chance to keep him --- might need the swallowing of a bit of humble pie though.

Stay calm and gather all the relevant facts when talking to the "new" company. Try not to get argumentative or get ahead of yourself.

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:14 pm
Julie. It was a conditional offer, the conditions being that he didn't have CCJs or a criminal record. He has met and discharged those conditions. Can the offer therefore be construed as unconditional and therefore a contract of employment will then exist?

kallis3

Forum Expert

Post by kallis3 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:17 pm
I have offered to put wuffy and worriedhalftodeath in touch with Julie off forum so they can try and sort this out.
Bob Marley.
56 posts Page 1 of 4
Return to “Ask IVA Forum and Industry experts”