'Just one more thing, sir',

6 posts Page 1 of 1

Tierna

Post by Tierna » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:35 pm
I was already happy on Saturday (having had a day off work) but discovering an old Columbo movie on telly I hadn't seen much before was added bliss (love Columbo) Then ... I noticed my completion certificate had made a much awaited appearance! Still can't believe it, but it's there before my very eyes, I'm looking at it now, can't stop looking at it to be honest.

When I say happy, I mean happy in the sense that anyone in an IVA can possibly be, or feel.

My IVA journey began 6+ years ago when I knew I had to do something about mounting/unmanageable debt which was seriously overwhelming. I was stressed, depressed and didn't know which way to turn. I'd previously been self-employed and was doing very nicely financially until the economic downturn/financial crisis during 2008 and beyond. My business dwindled, then ultimately failed and I sought employment elsewhere. The only work I could find was part-time hours with the chance of overtime now and again - not always guaranteed, but any port, etc. I (sort of) held things together for a further few years until a shortage of overtime became too much to bear. Finding another full time job, or other employment to fit in with my already working hours was nearly impossible, so I found myself on the path of an IVA.

I was destitute, I was desperate. And was glad to have the chance to pay off my debts with a grand portion being written off. Sounded too good to be true.

The start of the IVA was fine. Then came even more reduced hours at work due to cutbacks, etc, and sometimes no overtime at all, which left my nerves in absolute shreds. Would the IVA fail? Where would that leave me if it did? I was sure I was already paying the absolute minimum into the IVA and there'd be no chance of reduced payments. I was also was still desperately looking for work elsewhere as well (some chance as I'm no spring chicken!) But I was, by this time, in a very bad place and had very dark thoughts I hate to say. I nearly gave up on the IVA a few times but thankfully spoke to a couple of lovely understanding people at the company and had a couple of breaks. I was also terrified of my neighbours/people from work finding out about the mess I was in (I had visions of some of them spending their days browsing the insolvency register and relaying my business to the world and his wife - oh the disgrace of it all!) I know, I know, I know, paranoid or wot ... but that's the way it gets you. Then I got a grip on myself and thought aah frig 'em all, I don't owe them any money so why should I worry about them, they don't worry about me! That old adage came to mind: 'Those who matter don't care, and those who care, don't matter'.

Anyway, now it's all done and dusted, and it's over, I have my completion certificate and now I really AM happy! I have another day off work this Saturday and will have another hunt around the channels to see if I can find yet another Columbo movie - I may even splash out on a celebratory pizza.

It really is the little things in life, isn't it. 8)

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:01 am
so pleased for you ...Time to move on and now restart life with a new sense of purpose.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"

Foggy

Post by Foggy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:41 am
Congratulations -- near normality beckons !! Great post -- have you ever thought about taking up writing ? :)

Onward and Upward :D
My opinions are merely that .. opinions based on experience. Always seek professional advice.
IVA Completed 23rd July 2013 .... C.C. 10th January 2014

Tierna

Post by Tierna » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:08 am
No, I haven't, Foggy :D (although I did write a rather pithy valentine's verse once about an ex, but most of it would've been bleeped out in polite company for the purposes of decency) :wink:

Thank you to you and Luluj for your replies. I've been reading this forum for ages - can't even remember for how long now, maybe a year or two into my IVA which started in 2014 - and it's been a real help, honestly it really has. It helps to know we're not alone in our struggle (and let's face it, being in an IVA is no picnic, it's a real struggle, a l-o-n-g hard road!) The help and advice that you, Luluj and Kallis3 give to members of this forum is invaluable and I hope you all know how much it's appreciated.

Personally speaking, I got into this situation, not by living a luxurious lifestyle by any means, but by trying to keep my head above water, paying for the basics: food, heating, etc, while also trying to deal with diminishing wages and overtime.

The 'One More Thing, Sir' in the title of this post wasn't only to do with my love of Columbo movies, it was also the dread of hearing 'One more thing, madam ... before we can close your IVA, we've discovered ... blah-de-blah .. which needs addressing' arrrrgghhh!!!! Noooo, I can't take any more!!! Thankfully that didn't happen. Maybe I've been watching too many Columbo movies? :lol:

Nearing the end of my IVA, after having struggled through 6 yrs of hell, I was sure a rich old second cousin twice removed I'd never heard of before in my life would croak it and leave all of their money to me just before the IVA finished, which would've been swallowed up by the IVA. Oh dammit! A bit of dosh much needed I'll never get my mitts on ...

Didn't happen.

But it might have.

This was always a worry. :lol:

Thanks again Foggy, Luluj and Kallis3.

JustPlainStupid

Post by JustPlainStupid » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:44 am
I can relate to the bit about everyone you know doing searches and finding out our guilty secrets! I still feel the same to some extent. The bit about not owing THEM money is absolutely on point.

luluj

Forum Expert

Post by luluj » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:09 am
You are all welcome for the advice and support we offer. We have all been where you are so fully understand your concerns, anxieties etc.
Sharing from experiences of dealing with debt

There is a solution for everyone .... Just need to stay positive !

Look at my blog "All I wanted was a baby"
6 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “a success story”