Knock on the door

13 posts Page 1 of 1

JoeB

Post by JoeB » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:32 pm
Hi just had a pretty bad conversation with one of the creditors basically saying give us £150 in the next week or so or we will send a "door step collector round"[:0]

Our creditors meeting is in the next few weeks - I actually made the call to make sure they were aware!

I am assuming this is scare tactic to try and get some money out of us.

Anybody else had this experience?[?]

hara

Post by hara » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 pm
what sort of creditor? ,ike a Bank or a private lender or a loan shark?

reputable lenders should not be diong this,if they did they could be a lot of trouble.

hara

BlueShoes

Post by BlueShoes » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:40 pm
Hi g.g.r.
We too have our meeting in the next few weeks, and so far have managed to avoid anything too nasty. Hang on in there, fingers crossed for you.
Blue
Last edited by BlueShoes on Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keh

Post by keh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:41 pm
It is also against the law, you have now put your proposal forward and waiting for the meeting and basically covered by the rules of an iva and creditors should call your IP...

Report them to your IP

Keith

The long and winding road will straighten out eventually....keep the faith
Keith

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:47 pm
Hi g.g.r
It,s most probably a scare tactic and forum members have had this threat before,so do not worry.
Unfortunately you are not covered by the laws relating to an IVA until it is agreed at the creditors meeting.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

keh

Post by keh » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:53 pm
Sorry ggr

I was wrong about against the law but still report them to your IP

Thanks Andy for setting me on the right track and i will remember that in future

GGR don't worry about them, when my iva was being set up i had the phone calls but gave them my IP's address and guess what!!!

Not one of them has contacted me or my IP in 3 years and now just sent of a cheque for a F&F settlement so they got less than 2 weeks to claim their money or they get zilch

Keith

Keith

JoeB

Post by JoeB » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:07 pm
Thanks for this - the creditor is a main street bank and I thought it was just a rogue call centre member of staff - will let my IVA company tomorrow. All other calls have been OK so this came as quite a shock!
Last edited by JoeB on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam Davies

Post by Adam Davies » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:09 pm
Hi Keith
No problem and remember I still get it wrong sometimes.The experience that you have gone through will be a great help to many so I hope that you keep posting even after your IVA is settled.
Regards

Andy Davie
IVA.co.uk Spokesperson

About me:
http://www.iva.co.uk/andy_davie_profile.asp

IVA Helpline: 0800 197 4838
http://www.iva.co.uk/iva_helpline.asp
Andam Davies

lily

Post by lily » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:26 pm
ggr

I have had many of these threats I am expecting to open the door one day and have the world and his wife fall in or at least a member from every DCA company in the phone book. I never have though and just recently I had a one liner saying you are on the list for a home visit by one of our bods (cant quite remember what they called him/her) I simply wrote saying, anyone calling at my home will be asked to leave. You are not obliged to speak with them verbally and are within your rights to call the police if they dont go. They still scare me though when they write it. I dont sit in my front room during the day.

lily
Last edited by lily on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lily

scaredkez

Post by scaredkez » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:01 am
i am BR and still get the threats, well one in particular, if they come to your door just say not prepared to discuss the matter with you, on my doorstep, please leave as you are now trespassing or i will call the police, they are scare tactics, don't be frightened by them.
kerri

Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/
Please view my blog at: http://scaredkez.blogs.iva.co.uk/

cr15py

Post by cr15py » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:56 pm
I have had one of my creditors (a credit card company) send me a postcard saying they are coming to visit. They say "If this is inconvienent, please call ......" - is this likely to be a scare tactic, trying to make me call them, or are they actually likely to turn up?
Chris
Visit my blog at http://cr15py.blogs.iva.co.uk
16 down, 44 to go!!

jane.l

Post by jane.l » Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:04 pm
I would just say, DO NOT answer the door!

I just sit with all the doors locked and curtains drawn. I am quite lucky in that I moved house and have not told anyone where I am. We live at the top of a cul-de-sac so I can hear and watch any cars coming and if there is anyone I don’t recognise, I go around making sure all windows and doors are properly locked.!

Once a man rang the bell and I totally panicked, I think he was just doing a survey but I am not convinced the creditors have not found me! Its awful!

lily

Post by lily » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:14 pm
I doubt they will call, cr 15, its just a scare tactic. I know some companies do pay a very occaisional visit but you really do not have to talk with them and can ask them to leave, saying you do not wish to talk. They have no right of entry, yes, I agree its a scary thing, just the thought it really does scare me. I do not sit in my lounge in the day time, until its dark enough to draw the curtains but, I dont think I would hide away if anyone did call, I would answer the door and tell them to go away.

Jane the companies can trace you, I paid one of my creditors after I had moved house but didnt inform them as, at the time I didnt know that I wouldnt be able to pay my way and they found me through a trace that they charged me for. I do not provide a telephone number for the creditors so after the post has been I am OK, you do not have to discuss things verbally if you do not want to, I write and reply to mine.

lily
lily
13 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “communicating with creditors prior to IVA”