laws regarding bakcruptcy and iva for immigrants

7 posts Page 1 of 1

waqar

Post by waqar » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:35 pm
helo my name is waqar.im from pakistan and ecentlyon a student visa in uk.Just want to know what are the laws regarding bakcruptcy and iva for immigrants who are not on permanent visa in uk?and how it will effect their immigration status.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:59 pm
Hi wagar and welcome to the forum

Do you have debts in the UK - and if so how much do you owe?
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

neil277

Post by neil277 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:01 am
Hello Waqar
How long do you have on your Student Visa? and what type of visa do you want?.
For the time being it might be best to reduce your payments without BR or IVA, try to look at a payment plan.

The law is different for students who want to change there visa status as to people who are married to a UK British Citizen, from what i know they will only ask you to leave the country if you become dependent on PUBLIC FUNDS.

When you change visa status you have to sign a document to say if you have any Criminal or civil convictions, this would show up if you have an interim order lodged against you, which is why talking to the right person is so very important.

waqar

Post by waqar » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:16 pm
thanx a lot for my reply.i have uk debts and they are about £35000.I have been in uk for last 5 years and im going to marry a british citizen very soon.but want a fresh start before my wedding.just want to know how will an iva or bankcruptcy effect my immigration status when im going to apply for a parmanent residency.

MelanieGiles

Industry Expert
Post by MelanieGiles » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:27 pm
I would have thought that an IVA will be a kinder solution for you, as it demonstrates a willingness to repay rather than walking away from the debts (if you have the choice I mean!).

You will need to check with the Home Office to see if they have any specific policy in this regard.
Regards, Melanie Giles, Insolvency Practitioner

neil277

Post by neil277 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:34 pm
Hi
The Law.
Yes Melanie is right in what she tells you, from what i know about the
Home Office is that everything they say is very limited and does not give you the best advice.

It is a long process untill you will be allowed to get Indefinite leave to remain or a British Passport, with all the new laws which comes into force this year it will be even harder.

I would have a look at http://www.legaltv.co.uk/ which gives good advice also you can click
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/studyi ... extending/ and on the left hand side, are the forms which are needed to extend your stay.

I cannot give advice to say if you would be removed from the country if you took out and IVA i'm in an IVA and my wife is still with me.

Take your time and i wish you good luck.

Regards.

Neil

waqar

Post by waqar » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:26 pm
thanx a lot for the advice.i much appreciate it.
waqar
7 posts Page 1 of 1
Return to “postings for april”